Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 3563 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #60
Kennedy's out Calf
Hewett is named (we'll see ;) )

Reply #61
In : George Hewett
OUT : Lochie O'Brien (Sub), Matthew Kennedy (Injured) WTF??!

Reply #62
I wonder if we ever going to see our midfield group in the same team together not injured and play at least 10 games straight to build synergy. Its one thing after another with this mob. Hope Walshy and Kennedy come back in next week.

Reply #63
Out of Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewitt & Kennedy, we’re down to 2.5/5. Hewitt, if he plays, will wear a glove according to Voss. Depending on how restrictive glove will be, Hewett may be nowhere near his best.

Reply #64
Fisher needs to extract the digit or he'll get pushed out
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #65
Fisher needs to extract the digit or he'll get pushed out
I thought he extracted it a fair way last week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66
Backs:  Mitch McGovern  Jacob Weitering  Nic Newman
Half-backs:  Sam Docherty  Lewis Young  Adam Saad
Centreline:  Ed Curnow  Patrick Cripps  Blake Acres
Half-forwards:  Matthew Owies  Harry McKay  Jack Silvagni
Forwards:  Corey Durdin  Charlie Curnow  Zac Fisher
Followers:  Tom De Koning  Adam Cerra  George Hewett
Interchange:  Lachie Cowan  Ollie Hollands  Jesse Motlop  Marc Pittonet
Emergencies:  Paddy Dow  Josh Honey  Lochie O'Brien  Lachie Plowman
Give paddy Dow the sub jacket? He can't do much more. Granted, LOB hasn't done a lot wrong as the sub so far.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #68
Out of Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewitt & Kennedy, we’re down to 2.5/5. Hewitt, if he plays, will wear a glove according to Voss. Depending on how restrictive glove will be, Hewett may be nowhere near his best.
Dont think Hewett will be playing on that info.....might be Paddy Dow in..
We still should win but this game is taking a path I dont like in terms of injuries...no Hewett and Kennedy didnt go so well for us last season and with Walsh out too its making me a tad uncomfortable after looking like an easy win.

Reply #69
GWS are light on for rucks, and we are going with both TDK and Pitto, they want to be switched on because we can't be letting GWS run off the stoppages.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
I always have a little chuckle when I see 'danger game'.  Who was the poster who used to fire up whenever anyone mentioned 'danger game'?  I think that the competition is so close now that an easybeat team one week can defeat a top four team the next week.  All it takes for an unexpected loss is for a team to be a little off in their preparation.  Who would have tipped the Doggies to beat Brisbane and keep them to just seven goals?  Did the racism directed at Jamarra Ugle-Hagan fire up the Doggies?  "Maar paneeyt" Jamarra!

The first two rounds suggest that we should have GWS's measure.  They've regained Whitfield and Kelly while we've basically swapped Hewett for Kennedy.  We're a tad undermanned in the midfield - by our standards - but should be able to match GWS without too many problems.

The ruck contests should be interesting.  Flynn has got off to a flyer, dominating the hitouts and getting a fair bit of the ball around the ground, and he's basically going it alone.  I imagine that De Koning and Pitto will try to run him ragged and exploit any of the part-timers GWS may throw into the ruck.  I'd like to see De Koning and Pitto drifting forward and back to create a bit of doubt in the minds of the GWS defenders and forwards.

Vossy said that Greene will have different opponents depending on where he's playing.  I'd like to see Saad spend some time on Greene and run off him at every opportunity.  Greene will probably still get his 3 or 4 goals, regardless of his opponent but there's not much else to worry about among the GWS forwards.  I can't really see their defenders holding our forwards, we just have too much firepower ... provided that our transition and stoppage work is at its best.

I think that we'll win comfortably, but not be a huge margin.

Go Blues!

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #71
Newman to Toby for mine.

Beyond that, I would be giving Dow a test this week to see where hes at.  Last year we put him in vs the Pies, which wasnt really fair. Looking at Rayner and LDU, I think Dows lack of opportunity to play at the coal face has hurt his developement (fair enough as he hasnt really shown enough) but you have to give him a chance in these types of matches.  I really liked what I saw last week, if only the second half.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #72
It is amazing what a relatively 'fresh' TDK in the 4th quarter looks like. Still jumping, tackling with intent and working hard. The guy was knackered in the games that Pitto didn't play.  The 2 ruck plan helps both Pitto and TDK. They will be dominant this week and that will translate to another strong game from Cripps. He loves standing under big Brad!

Reply #73
According to the club site:
Hewett got through the entire main training session on Thursday in preparation for this Saturday’s first 2023 interstate trip for the Blues.

Voss had set that as the condition for staying in the team. It looks as though he’ll be playing. Now we just have to see if he wears a protective glove. What the above statement doesn’t say is whether he trained with one or not. I’m guessing a fair amount of preparation goes into gaining an exemption for such protective equipment. You just can’t fit a metal plate to the back of a glove as it could end up being a weapon. Presumably, the AFL would have to sign off on it as is the case with arm guards.

Reply #74
Presumably, the AFL would have to sign off on it as is the case with arm guards.
Yep, they are free to discriminate.
The Force Awakens!