Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 3377 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #30
It seems to me that our coaches and playing group have really focused on not losing.  While tempo footy for the last five minutes of each quarter is preferable to leaking late goals as we did in the Bolton days, I wonder if we are being too defensive.

I'd like to see just a little more emphasis on scoring when we have momentum, even if it's late in a quarter.

We may see the approach change as the season goes on.  We have been haunted by our recent inability to win or hold on to tight games. Once we feel that has been exorcised then we'll probably move to a more adventurous approach.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
We may see the approach change as the season goes on.  We have been haunted by our recent inability to win or hold on to tight games. Once we feel that has been exorcised then we'll probably move to a more adventurous approach.

I guess I'm just impatient to see us put opposition teams to the sword  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
I guess I'm just impatient to see us put opposition teams to the sword  :)

Totally agree, David. In the past, even when we've led by a huge margin (foot on  throat), we've relaxed/backed off/ become timid... as a part of this group's progress to serious flag threat, there must be the development of a ruthless/killer instinct. Giving out an 80+ point thrashing would increase another kind of self-belief/confidence that aids that development and evolution to contender.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #33
We should smack GWS who are a bottom 6 team imho, be interesting to see how Richmond go vs Collingwood next round and get an idea where we sit as well. Im not sold on Richmond as I said last week but if they do ok vs the rampant Pies I think it shows we are making good progress and are as good or better than most teams in the comp and can be deep finals contenders.

Reply #34
The Giants’ midfield woes continue. Perryman suffered a hamstring injury last week and will miss. Jacob Wehr, one of their first-choice wingers, was subbed out of today’s game with an AC-joint injury (his arm was in a sling). Whitfield (rebounding defender) and Josh Kelly both missed this week due to concussion and we don’t know whether one or both will miss a 2nd week.

The Giants had a rough game against the Crows in Rd1 on a very hot day and perhaps that has left them ripe for the picking. But the Eagles were horrible last week and the Giants should have done much better. The trip to Perth won’t do much to freshen the Giants up, particularly as they only have a 6 day break ahead. They had little pace in the midfield although they had a few hard nuts such as Tom Green, Ward and Coniglio. They really need Kelly back.

Preuss won’t return from injury, nor will Bedford and O’Halloran.

Reply #35
Carlton by 10 goals. Too powerful.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #36
On second thoughts, I doubt either Whitfield or Kelly will miss. They “entered the AFL’s 12-day concussion protocol” after Rd 1 but on my calculations that expires the day before our match.

Reply #37
Carlton by 10 goals. Too powerful.
Yep ...West Coast are very ordinary but GWS made them look tough and cohesive.
Some of the most overrated players in the comp wear Giants jumpers ..money first, effort second.
10 goals is about right if we are having a real go...

Reply #38
Good test coming up.  This should be an easy win. Makes it a danger game and one we would lose historically.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
Watching replays of the first two weeks, we are miles away from peak form, in fact as odd as it seems we are surviving from giving virtually four quarters of effort.

That must be quite scary for our opposition, because it will be obvious to them that Charlie and BigH both look pretty rusty, and our Mids aren't yet up to speed either.

I just hope that good form comes before the lapses return, because I think it's unlikely any club can keep up that intensity for a full season! So we ned to find some form to give ourselves some easier results.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
Watching replays of the first two weeks, we are miles away from peak form, in fact as odd as it seems we are surviving from giving virtually four quarters of effort.

It's coming though - our first quarter v the pussies was great without getting the rewards we deserved, and then the third quarter was even better.  I just hate the fact that we seem to condemn ourselves to at least one real crap quarter of slow footy every week.  The two last quarters we have played have been very average.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #41
We should go into this game as favourites, and deservedly so IMO. I'm not sure there'll be any place to hide if we drop this one.

Reply #42
We are favourites paying $4.50 for a six goal win but this is going to be a tough match with Kelly and Whitfield to return.
Green and Coniglio will want improved performances in the middle.

Reply #43
This is one of those games where we should win well, but if you offered me a win by a narrow margin right now, I would take the 4 points and run.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #44
We are favourites paying $4.50 for a six goal win but this is going to be a tough match with Kelly and Whitfield to return.
Green and Coniglio will want improved performances in the middle.
Fair odds imo.....those names are impressive on paper and probably get paid more than the rest of their teammates put together but have never really impressed me in in terms of playing like their life depends on it and living up to the hype they seem to have created over the years. Its always been Ward, Davis and Greene in the main having to do the dirty work and be the heart and soul of that team while the big money earners look for the easy kick and glory play.
Hogan's another one who can look a million dollars but usually gives you a few rupees worth most weeks with the odd glory goal, hate to be a GWS supporter