Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 12 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6066 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 12 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #15
This will be so ugly.

Sadly my son has tickets to go with his Melb supporting friend.   :o

I still vividly remember the preseason game last year or the year before when we beat Melbourne and the Carlton crowd chanted VOSSY and it felt like we’d finally found our right fit.  😢

Reply #16
If we're serious MacG and Ed can't play again in 2023.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #17
Bad finishing isn't our only problem.  It would only paper over the cracks that are wide open.  In our last 3 matches despite the result and scoreline I was already unimpressed with our method by half time.

In fact when we won this season, our wins were only ok IMHO and they covered the ills back then. 

We haven't looked good all season and even our West Coast match I remember stating it was the worst dominant performance I had ever seen.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #18
Akuei is a mile off playing senior footy.
Lemmey has some skills and is a nice kick but doesn't do enough.
Binns looks a player, can kick both feet unlike most of our other players and Cincotta is my type of player for the modern game and should be in the team along with Cowan when fit.

Many of those who ran out last night are two miles off, play Akuei, can't be worse.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
Bad finishing isn't our only problem.  It would only paper over the cracks that are wide open.  In our last 3 matches despite the result and scoreline I was already unimpressed with our method by half time.

In fact when we won this season, our wins were only ok IMHO and they covered the ills back then. 

We haven't looked good all season and even our West Coast match I remember stating it was the worst dominant performance I had ever seen.
Everyone got carried away with that West Coast win but it was a garbage game that meant nothing apart from an easy 4 points but it didnt leave me with with any feeling of assurance or confidence for the future..

Reply #20
Many of those who ran out last night are two miles off, play Akuei, can't be worse.
Thought he was very average vs such an undermanned Swans team...the unlisted ex Collingwood kid McMahon looks a better player and has some tricks. Binns and Cincotta were the standouts for me...

Reply #21
Cripps will play next week. They had him running and whilst he got stepped on it was likely precaution.   I reckon Newman will play too.

Newman has a hamstring.

Reply #22

Winning ugly is something we were managing today.
You can do that by playing 'OK' and kicking straight.
It releases the pressure, and keeps you ticking along while you work out your other issues.

Now, since we can't kick straight, we are adding to our problems, not solving them.
Its created external noise, giving our players the yips and killing our confidence.

Indirectly, it has become our biggest problem.

Reply #23
21.41 in the last 3 games is deplorable. Make that 41.21 and how would our season be looking?

If only it’s as simplistic as this. Sure bad kicking for goal is bad footy but as the ball returns to the middle after after goal via a kick in when a point is scored to just reverse every point into goals is not correct.

We have far far bigger problems then goal kicking.

Reply #24
If only it’s as simplistic as this. Sure bad kicking for goal is bad footy but as the ball returns to the middle after after goal via a kick in when a point is scored to just reverse every point into goals is not correct.

We have far far bigger problems then goal kicking.
Maybe Shawny but the way I look at, we get in plenty (59 times last night) but we just dont capitalise. Teams in the 8, a quick scan shows them at:
1 Coll 42.30
2 Bris 43.36
3 PA 43.49
4 Mel 39.35
5 Stk 29.39
6 WB 35.40
7 Geel 36.37
8 Adel 35.23
Freo have made a run the last three weeks with 50.26
Goal kicking is important when you get it in as many times as we do.
Footy Wire says we are 3rd in the comp at 574 I50s
We are 18th in the comp for accuracy 46%
We are 15th in the comp for Goals per I50
My little brain says its a big problem.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #25
And just to show the problems have existed for a while, our rank for each of those items in each previous year was:
      I50   Accuracy   Goals/I50
2023   3   18         15
2022   10   16         13
2021   12   15         9
2020   8   14         15

Wish I knew how to post formatted tables in this bloody thing
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #26
Maybe Shawny but the way I look at, we get in plenty (59 times last night) but we just dont capitalise. Teams in the 8, a quick scan shows them at:
1 Coll 42.30
2 Bris 43.36
3 PA 43.49
4 Mel 39.35
5 Stk 29.39
6 WB 35.40
7 Geel 36.37
8 Adel 35.23
Freo have made a run the last three weeks with 50.26
Goal kicking is important when you get it in as many times as we do.
Footy Wire says we are 3rd in the comp at 574 I50s
We are 18th in the comp for accuracy 46%
We are 15th in the comp for Goals per I50
My little brain says its a big problem.

I’m not denying it’s not an issue just think this week and last were really bad on that front so it’s in the focus but our club’s trajectory since mid last year has been downward and it’s deeper then just inaccuracy at goal.

The bulk of the list are out of form and HTF harry goes from a Coleman medalist to an absolute joke with no idea what to do with the ball in his hand is typical of our clubs lack of off field professionism and development. Our list in general is mentally so fickle and weak that I can’t ever see this list being capable of performing under real heat of big finals unless something can be re programmed in their heads.

So where to from here - having said all the negatives I still think the list is better then it’s showing and when you have a 3 time current premiership coach available as depressing as it sounds we have to be asking the question.

The Voss selection was another poor choice imo and despite our history in this area we can’t now just continue on if it’s obvious he is the wrong man. I’m tipping the club will get Voss to resign on personal matters to keep face if we can snare Hardwick.

This rebuild will be in year 9 next year - prefer to have wasted the last 18 months with the wrong coach then continue on for fear of backlash. This lists time is now and only the next 5 years just have to have the right man leading these men or it will be time to start all over again.

Reply #27
Winning ugly is something we were managing today.
You can do that by playing 'OK' and kicking straight.
It releases the pressure, and keeps you ticking along while you work out your other issues.

Now, since we can't kick straight, we are adding to our problems, not solving them.
Its created external noise, giving our players the yips and killing our confidence.

Indirectly, it has become our biggest problem.

Winning ugly shows character but my post was more for gi2c.

Not sure of scoring efficiency would be good or bad for us.  The idea that we have better in us is what I was looking for.  We do if we tidy up our execution but thats still about playing ugly and getting a result.

I was looking for more play that makes me look at a player and say wow that was good.  Or wow that was smart.

Method is important.  Its what you continue with when the chips are down and anchors the team when they aren't going well.  We don't really seem to have much method to our play but a hit and hope and our good players will take care of it. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #28
From what I watched of the VFL game last night, Binns should come in for Hollands? He looks okay and looks to use the ball better than most. Ed needs to be phased out unfortunately. He came on and got a bit of the ball but some of his disposal was almost laughable.

Silvagni, Fisher and Dow should all come back in and Cincotta for Newman if he doesn't get up.

I'd stick with TDK in a ruck/forward position even if that means Harry goes back to the VFL for a couple of weeks to just get some confidence back.

Reply #29
Everyone got carried away with that West Coast win but it was a garbage game that meant nothing apart from an easy 4 points but it didnt leave me with with any feeling of assurance or confidence for the future..

I second that.
I for one rated it as a B in the votes. Some struggled to understand why I didn't give an A. ^^^ this is why.

We have so much that needs to be corrected. At training, with the game plan, mc, analysis, and in-game strategy. Get Vossy some quality support before the fans start burning their membership papers.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.