Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 12 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 6259 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 12 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #75
Based on "like for like" and assuming Cripps plays
Hewett->Dow
Newman->Cinchona
Hollands->Binns
Durdin->Fogarty
Pittonet->Young
Unfortunately Ed survives due to injury toll
Fisher is a Monty to return....reckon Fogarty who deserves a go and who I would pick may miss out.

Reply #76
Young will need to come into the team as relieving ruck/KPP for TDK

I'd be happy to use Harry as a relieving ruck. Get him out of the confines of the goalsquare and run around taking marks. Brisbane ruck Daniher, no reason we can't ruck Harry.

Reply #77
Injuries are getting worse.  No Pitt or Durdin now.  Fogarty gets a go EB?

A busted collar bone is probably a better result for Hollands than an AC...blown shoulder can be a career killer.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #78
Injuries are getting worse.  No Pitt or Durdin now.  Fogarty gets a go EB?

A busted collar bone is probably a better result for Hollands than an AC...blown shoulder can be a career killer.
Like to see Fogarty get a chance Prof but I think Fisher will return and Ed will keep his place in the team.
Pittonet will be a loss and we might be doing the ruck Jack Silvagni experiment again. I'd run McKay on the ball for a little bit this game and see how he handles it...

Reply #79
Pittonet will be a loss and we might be doing the ruck Jack Silvagni experiment again. I'd run McKay on the ball for a little bit this game and see how he handles it...

Taking on 2 AA ruckmen needs someone more than JSOS. Young or McKay.

Reply #80
Probably right but having Jack as that extra tall mid/follower might also be a theory that might be used. Also depends on how Melbourne want to setup and if they play an extra tall down forward and we need Young down back. I'm not a massive fan of Young's ruckwork when he was at the Dogs or what I have seen with us either.

Reply #81
I'd be happy to use Harry as a relieving ruck. Get him out of the confines of the goalsquare and run around taking marks. Brisbane ruck Daniher, no reason we can't ruck Harry.
That sounds good to me, also keep Young down back to take some intercepts marks, and Silvagni up forward for a goal or 2 or 3.

Reply #82
Id be conceding the ruck and hoping to halve those contests and roving to a losing ruck.

A bigger concern is outside run as the Melbourne have a lot of pace off the wings in Langdon and Brayshaw.  Id be bringing in LOB to help Cotters and Acres there as Hollands has a big engine, and has competed well.

We should be able to match them on the inside given the absence of Oliver but Harmes, Petracca and co are not easy beats.

The key is stopping Baily Fritsch and Kosi Pickett forward.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #83
Like to see Fogarty get a chance Prof but I think Fisher will return and Ed will keep his place in the team.
Agree, only reservation with Fog is lack leg speed. I think he does however make up for it in other areas.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #84
Agree, only reservation with Fog is lack leg speed. I think he does however make up for it in other areas.
On his game I think Fogarty is one of the best ball users on our list, but he can be highly variable with his decisions.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #85

Their clearance rate isn't that good though given the class of ruck.

Someone like McKay though would be handy around the ground though.

Reply #86
if Lever takes 12 intercept marks and we keep kicking to his direction ,voss should be seriously look at .

Reply #87
if Lever takes 12 intercept marks and we keep kicking to his direction ,voss should be seriously look at .

Lever and May might believe in Christmas in June for the first time after Friday....lol.

Reply #88

Petty is a big part of that trilogy and he isnt playing...imho he is a major loss as May and Lever do the intercepting and Petty does the defending so I expect our tall forwards to do well this week.

Reply #89
Last time we played Melbourne Charlie kicked 1-4 and we were done over by the umpires 2:1, I particularly recall Viney getting a bunch of cheap frees for Selwood style diving, and Melksham getting away with murder, while SoJ had a shocker in D50!
The Force Awakens!