Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 4430 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 20 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #45
Our belief and commitment to being the 'hunters' continues to grow and consolidate. There's a persistent ruthlessness about how we play that is irresistible.

When you factor in the missing key personnel, it only makes the win and the manner of the win all the more impressive - team of leaders with strong accountability and adherence to 'role'.

Now, time to watch the replay and savour every delicious moment.

Ps good to see the umpires finally catching most illegal tactics to stop Charles.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
Very satisfying win given the lead up to the game and all the Collingwood hype.
Charlie has gone to the next level as a Full Forward and dare I say it seems to take charge more with Harry out of the team.
Newman and Weitering were outstanding down back and the former has been our best player this season along with unlucky Cerra who had a great first half.
Never been a fan of Martin and it's been a long time between drinks ie his first game but he actually gave us a complete game and converted well which was a key factor in the win so credit to him.
Thought Collingwood had their fair share of the ball but were under pressure most of the time and our tackling was at its best it been for years.
Re Marchbank....didn't have a great game and is very slow but at the same time being thrown into a big game with no previous senior footy for a long while you probably have to expect a few errors.
Didn't think the ruck battles influenced much and the midfield was even but we had the better forwards and method and that's where the game was won.

Reply #47
Great win despite the umpires gifting the Filth some crazy decisions which led to goals.
King Charles needs to get his head ripped off to get a free.
Watched it with a Power supporter and he couldn't believe how hard done by we were by the umps.
I said welcome to my world.
The ABC reckoned Charlie was lucky to get a few frees, but considering the ones he DIDN'T get, I think that came out about even.
Collingwood got some of the worst frees I can remember. Our rucks, in particular, were savaged by the Umps.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #48
Didnt watch the game last night as I had a work function. I watched the replay this morning and a few things stood out to me:
- A very workman like performance, EVERY single player did their job whether it was score a bag of goals, play a cameo, lay tackles, run 15.6km. Whilst the scalp was huge, it was we didn't try and be too cute, just a solid performance from every line.
- We had a plan and stuck to it to a tee. Peter's boys had the right amount of attention from multiple players, Cripps kept De Goey quiet for the most part, Sidebottom was NOT permitted to run around like a leper all night and finally pressure pressure pressure. It's amazing how when you apply pressure, normally brialliant balls users suddenly have less time. Mr Ice in His Veins was even too scared to take a shot in the last, that's what scoreboard pressure does.

Hard luck for Cez, was BOG up until he went off, hopefully not too serious a hammy. Special mention to Ollie Hollands, what a player he will be for us.

Great win, 6 in a row, who woulda thunk it? Certainly not me.
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
Some rough, sketchy impressions :

Seeing Cripps barge through contest after contest, tackle after tackle was so great to see. Definitely won the battle with DeGoey
Marchbank and Dow were a little off, but for very different reasons.
Pittonet and De Koning both ordinary IMO
The role players did their job really well
Hollands tackle on that Neanderthal Maynard was great.
Acres is a good link man, but needs to stamp out the dodgy kicks
Hewett was very good.
Charlie Curnow, Weitering and Martin are guns
Fogarty has played great pressure footy since his return. Definitely consolidated his spot in the 22 IMO.
All round great pressure and tackling game.

Moving Jeremy Howe forward was a great move. Nearly swung the momentum back in their favour.

Super super effort by all concerned.

Reply #50
Great win but I think the standout for me in the form turnaround has been Luke Sayers telling the Mathieson’s to pi55 off after being an embarrassment to the club in the rooms after our lowest form. Since those poker machine blackmailers couldn’t get there way and immediately sack Voss we have gone from strength to strength  in solidarity. You could see in the rooms tonight we are a club again united with some belief. From the top down to the boot studded we are a team.

Could turn out to be the most significant Blues move in recent times 🤔
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #51
Pies certainly had their chances - Nearly double the marks I50, more I50's, more shots on goal. Nice to see them spraying them for a change.

Our defence and pressure was fantastic. Martin is a gun.

He has always been a gun just could not stay on the park!!!

Reply #53
Whilst I believe we’ll go on with it, we really do need to win next week to make this week count.

Amazing game. Could not be prouder.

BT or, as we refer to him at home ‘hindsight Hodge’ said - Collingwood had a 6 day interstate wet turnaround - does that matter? We missed Cerra after halftime, Walsh and JSOS entire game 🤷🏻‍♀️

As for BT's comments. Pies coach dismissed the short flight and 6d turnaround is normal. In our house BT is known as BS 😉
Henry Ford.

Reply #54
That's how you win a game ........ tackle hard, chase hard, pressure the opposition & attack the ball-carrier.

Fogarty's tackle on Mihocek (?) was first class.

Weitering was superb all night.

There was hardly a poor player on the field tonight.

Sadly, Marchbank made some horrible errors and whilst some will say he has been out of the game for a long time, you may not have your "touch" first up but you don't lose your experience & knowledge. His papers must be stamped now !!!

I reckon Nick Daicos will wake up in the morning very sore after tonight, he got grappled & double-teamed all night and was nothing near the contributor he has been this year - good coaching & well drilled from the players.

Yes and don't forget Motlop. A couple of hard as nails tackles on much bigger opponents, and they stuck. Pressure, Presser and then some.

On Marchbank, a coupe of horrible mistakes. Can you imagine what could be going through his mind after everything that he has gone through over the last few years. Confidence and continuity will make a world of difference.

Reply #55
Our belief and commitment to being the 'hunters' continues to grow and consolidate. There's a persistent ruthlessness about how we play that is irresistible.

When you factor in the missing key personnel, it only makes the win and the manner of the win all the more impressive - team of leaders with strong accountability and adherence to 'role'.

Now, time to watch the replay and savour every delicious moment.

Ps good to see the umpires finally catching most illegal tactics to stop Charles.

Enjoy the replay with a pie 🥧
#hunters
Henry Ford.

Reply #56
Never been a fan of Martin and it's been a long time between drinks ie his first game but he actually gave us a complete game and converted well which was a key factor in the win so credit to him.

Same !!

He has the ability but not the grey matter.

Normally does nothing for half of the match then has a blistering 6-7 minutes of complete dominance and then disappears again.

Whilst last nite was the best I've seen him play, his inconsistency & brainfarts cannot be overlooked and my preference is to see him shown the door.

By the way, Cerra was playing a blinder until he tweaked his hammy again, looks way fitter than in the past and his delivery on the left foot is first rate.

I quite liked Cottrell's game last (and again, I'm not a huge fan but he is slowly winning me over), wasn't a "highlights reel", just a lot of "meat & potatoes" stuff which I see as far more more important.

Hollands looked a tad unsure every time he had to battle with Maynard, there is a fair bit of difference in age, body-size & experience so the young chap has to just bore in harder next time.  

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #57
In the last month I have noticed a change with the Pies in terms of their level of arrogance. Reckon the players supporters and even coach got a tad ahead of themself and was so nice to be the club to remove the smugness of those pr1cks.

I have a decent memory when it suits me 😂 but I remember Sidebottom laughing at how we played after the loss to them earlier in the year. Also Maynard made arrogant comments before the port match and Elliot’s look when he took that nice mark in the last quarter made me want to vomit. Adam’s is a smartar5e and even Nick Daicos has gotten ahead of himself imo. The coach is always too happy and made a smart comment about not having a bet with Voss on these games anymore as it was costing Voss too much. I know it was a joke but still in most jokes comments even in jest  there is an element of truth.

Anyhow stuff them Im rapt with that win. 3 weeks in a row  we lost key players very early on but still got the job done.

We are much even and our midfield is very deep and not just with C grades but with top liners.

We are finally an even team who don’t rely on one or 2 players. Yes Charlie kicking a bag is nice but we beat port with a modest return and that’s something I haven’t seen for decades in a Carlton team.

Think we have arrived gents

Reply #58
Same !!

He has the ability but not the grey matter.

Normally does nothing for half of the match then has a blistering 6-7 minutes of complete dominance and then disappears again.

Whilst last nite was the best I've seen him play, his inconsistency & brainfarts cannot be overlooked and my preference is to see him shown the door.

By the way, Cerra was playing a blinder until he tweaked his hammy again, looks way fitter than in the past and his delivery on the left foot is first rate.

I quite liked Cottrell's game last (and again, I'm not a huge fan but he is slowly winning me over), wasn't a "highlights reel", just a lot of "meat & potatoes" stuff which I see as far more more important.

Hollands looked a tad unsure every time he had to battle with Maynard, there is a fair bit of difference in age, body-size & experience so the young chap has to just bore in harder next time.  

Didn't see much of Cottrell and have seen him play better. Needs more  than 12 possessions a game but he didn't do much wrong either and I guess every team has their low profile Indians to complement their Chiefs.
Martin had 12 possessions also but his were of high impact and when he is on he is very good but it's the same old story can he stay on the park and deliver that type of game more often than not.I think he will get another extension maybe a 1+1 deal if he holds up fitness wise.
Maynard was one of Collingwoods better players I thought and is a rough hombre so a kid like Hollands was fighting out of his division but had some good moments and showed he will be a capable player vs more suitable opponents.

Reply #59
I'll bet my life savings that Voss is a huge Martin fan, and if he gets his way, JM won't be going anywhere. And rightly so.