Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 4588 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 20 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #75
DeGoey, high, careless,low impact; $2000

Four umpires; staging (pretending to be AFL standard) 1 week.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #76
DeGoey, high, careless,low impact; $2000

Four umpires; staging (pretending to be AFL standard) 1 week.

I like it 👏🏼
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #77
Great win despite the umpires gifting the Filth some crazy decisions which led to goals.

3 free kicks for marginal late hits come to mind

Reply #78
My only concern was that Hollands and Kemp struggled against the size of their opponents but I do not question their endeavour.

Not just Hollands and Kemp.  The strong overhead marking by the Pies' big units up forward represented a major threat (even before Howe went forward) unless Weitering was in the contest.  If we meet them again in the finals, I think we might need some other options available.

Reply #79
I have previously commented on the Blues' clean skins, i.e. absence of visible tattoos.  It was never more evident than against the pies.

Reply #80
Not just Hollands and Kemp.  The strong overhead marking by the Pies' big units up forward represented a major threat (even before Howe went forward) unless Weitering was in the contest.  If we meet them again in the finals, I think we might need some other options available.
Maybe Big Durds; he is a strong guy and an excellent mark.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #81
When was the last time we won 6 on the trot... including the top 2 sides!!

If you ever have a question that starts with "when was the last time..." there is a good chance the answer is in this thread.
https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=5862.0

Reply #82
The rucks from both teams had little impact and we won the clearances despite being behind in the hitouts.  Pittonet managed to get his hands on a couple of ground balls while De Koning was fumbly and dropped marks he'd normally clunk.  Two marks from your rucks is way below par.  Collingwood could have put Cox's jersey on a High and Mighty store dummy and it would have had more impact.  Cameron had some influence around the ground with five marks.

In those circumstances, free kicks in the ruck can be decisive and some of the decisions on Friday were hard to follow.  De Koning was penalised at the first bounce for a "body check".  I'm not sure what that is but it seemed to me that he was simply going for the ball.  De Koning was penalised again when the bounce favoured his side of the circle and he stood under the ball.  Was he supposed to run backwards away from the ball?  Cameron applied virtually identical "body checks" to Pitto as the first quarter progressed and it was "play on" every time.

In the second quarter Cox applied a headlock to Charlie during a ruck contest and the obvious free was paid.  Not even Collingwood supporters could complain about that ... or could they?

In the last quarter McStay was penalised for blocking De Koning.  McStay clearly held De Koning away from the ball drop and the free kick was deserved.  Not long after, Cameron applied a more physical block on Pitto and Pitto was penalised for high contact despite Cameron clearly initiating the contact.

That's five free kicks for ruck infringements with two going our way, but that's not really the point.  The point is that there's no logic or consistency to the way ruck infringements are adjudicated.  If the two frees against De Koning were correct, at least ten other similar frees should have been paid.  I don't know if there's much communication between the AFL and clubs about what constitutes a ruck infringement, but there should be more.  It would be interesting to hear what the AFL/umpires think De Koning should have done when the ball bounced towards his side of the circle  :-\  

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #83
It was good to see Caleb Marchbank in the 22 and even better that he got through the game unscathed.  He is clearly very popular with his teammates and his return to the team would have lifted already bouyant spirits.

I thought that he was a little off the pace, as would be expected, but it was a pretty seamless return.  An errant handball into the corridor at the end of a quarter, allowing the man on the mark to smother a kick out of defence and the rushed behind weren't all that flash, but were inconsequential as it turned out.  The rushed behind was interesting; I think that it was more accidental than intentional and Elliott's quick thinking to move away from the ball was smart footy.

On the positive side, Marchbank's marking and intercepting were excellent, he covered the ground well and played his role in our team defence.  Apart from a couple of poor kicks, he generally hit targets or got the ball to our advantage. 

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #84
One of many things that impressed me about our performance was our physicality.  There was no silly, blatant stuff but we were more than happy to get into our opponents' faces ... and bodies.  Nick Daicos got a bit of treatment but the two prime targets were Maynard and De Goey.  Maynard, in particular, looked more and more unsure of himself as the game progressed. 

There will be some sore bodies at recovery. 

Reply #85
Who was actually playing on Nick Daicos? He got possessions but no way was he as influential as he has been.....doubt he would've even been in their best player list?

Reply #86
Who was actually playing on Nick Daicos? He got possessions but no way was he as influential as he has been.....doubt he would've even been in their best player list?

Hewett put some work into him but it seemed to depend on whose turn it was in the midfield rotations. 

We haven't worried too much about keeping a tight rein on the Daicos boys, Sidebottom, etc in the past and it's come back to bite us on the butt.  Our team defence worked a lot harder/better and that paid dividends.

Reply #87
Hewett put some work into him but it seemed to depend on whose turn it was in the midfield rotations. 

We haven't worried too much about keeping a tight rein on the Diacos boys, Sidebottom, etc in the past and it's come back to bite us on the butt.  Our team defence worked a lot harder/better and that paid dividends.
Agree.....Port showed last week with Drew tagging Nick hard that you can reduce their effectiveness....Josh was still good vs us getting the ball and using it well with a decent DE around 80% but Nick while still getting some ball only went at 52% and was clearly under pressure. You also look at their second tier mids in Sidebottom, Crisp, Adams etc and they were all average in terms of possies and effect, Adams only had 12 possessions and while our blokes didnt dominate with high possessions it was that pressure on their mids that dragged Collingwood back to the field in terms of stoppages and clearances where we had control.
The four quarter effort was the most pleasing aspect imho, we bring that effort every week and we wont lose a game for the rest of the season.

Reply #88
That frontal pressure. Pies like to score from their defensive chains creating hard run through the corridor. Our frontal pressure didn't allow them a clean kick out of defence to set that up. So often they were buried in defence under pressure turning it over to one of our players in the Pies normal "get out and set up" position. Other sides will pick that up. Voss did very well there.

Reply #89
Agree.....Port showed last week with Drew tagging Nick hard that you can reduce their effectiveness....Josh was still good vs us getting the ball and using it well with a decent DE around 80% but Nick while still getting some ball only went at 52% and was clearly under pressure. You also look at their second tier mids in Sidebottom, Crisp, Adams etc and they were all average in terms of possies and effect, Adams only had 12 possessions and while our blokes didnt dominate with high possessions it was that pressure on their mids that dragged Collingwood back to the field in terms of stoppages and clearances where we had control.
The four quarter effort was the most pleasing aspect imho, we bring that effort every week and we wont lose a game for the rest of the season.

I think that Steele must have misplaced his cloak of invisibility.  Not once did he appear out of nowhere to accept a pass inside 50 🙂

If nothing else, Friday’s performance shows that our coaches and playing group have learnt from past experiences.

Collingwood’s not a great stoppage team and I was expecting us to be on top there.  I was hoping that we could stop their run out of defence and I couldn’t be happier with how that panned out.  We made the most out of our forward 50 entries and worked hard to keep the ball in our half.  The wall we built across the centre of the G was formidable and Weiters and his crew mopped up anything that got past.

That same four quarter effort will be very hard to beat, regardless of the opposition, and that’s the challenge for Vossy and our leadership group.

Dare I say it, but we’re becoming just a little intimidating, both in terms of football ability and our attack on the aggott and the sucker who has possession.

Our Achilles’ heel is the bare cupboard that is our VFL team.