Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 21 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 5078 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 21 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #15
The game changer

https://www.afl.com.au/video/996570/speedy-motlop-marathon-delivers-the-goods?videoId=996570&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1691306296001

Was a good goal, but i don't know how Saints player didn't smother that. His arms went over the top of the ball.

Reply #16
Can't remember the last time we flipped a game on its head like that. Normally we give it up when it gets in that situation. This time there was real fight. This told me more about the current team than any of the other wins we dominated from the start, including Port and Collingwood.

Reply #17
We’ll Ross Lyon wasn’t exactly glowing about us after the match, stared that he knew what we were capable of which is a what we  brought in the second half and good teams will be able to handle it, I guess that means the Saints aint a good team.
No one does ‘bitter’ better than Ross in a losing press conference, flog!
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #18
Sensational fightback with leadership on every line. We found a different way to win. Impressive. Culture, belief, and teamwork seems to be landing.

Despite our injuries and the returns from injuries, we saw another fairly even spread of the load. That speaks to depth. How fabulous would it be to have a healthy list 🤞

Lyon reluctantly admitting Carlton.....
- obliterated
- annihilated
- made it impossible
- stopped us getting a glove on it
🤣 That's entertainment
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #19
Lots of positives for us but there’s one question that should have been put to Lyon:

Why did you continue with an extra player in defence when you lost the lead?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
Why did you continue with an extra player in defence when you lost the lead?
Had a Malthouse moment, living on past glory! ;)

The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
We’ll Ross Lyon wasn’t exactly glowing about us after the match, stared that he knew what we were capable of which is a what we  brought in the second half and good teams will be able to handle it, I guess that means the Saints aint a good team.
No one does ‘bitter’ better than Ross in a losing press conference, flog!

His record as a coach is pretty good and speaks for itself, but gee he is hard to love. His whole demeanour...........ugh.

Reply #22
Everyone got their grand final tickets sorted.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #23
Came from behind against a 'bogey' side. Depleted stocks didn't deter us grinding out one of our more impressive wins in recent history.
Most stood up when they had to, especially in the 2nd half. Newman, Dutchy, Acres, Docherty - outstanding.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #24

Most stood up when they had to, especially in the 2nd half. Newman, Dutchy, Acres, Docherty - outstanding.
Thought it was a very even team performance, probably Newman and Weiters were the standouts.

I thought Charlie was spectacular in the first quarter, best field kick of any AFL tall going around at the moment!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
I hope fans are starting to see why we need both Pitto and TDK.

How we manage them in the future will be critical to our success, if we'd only had one today Marshall wouldn't have just got the stats he probably would have got the chocolates as well! ;)

It's Pitto keeping up the physical pressure, that allows TDK to gain the momentum, no respite for the opposition.

I agree Hollands had a good game, but ignoring the result his direct opponent was probably the BoG.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
The first half was as bad as we've been all season; fumbles, turnovers, miskicks and not smart movement. We had a lot of players really down:
Tom de Koning barely had a touch in the first half.
Marc Pittonet was well beaten early, and couldn't affect his opponent at all.
Fog couldn't get near it.
Hollands fumbled and got pushed aside far too easily. That first half was his worst game by kilometres.
Dow got to give it away.
Kemp fumbled and miskicked and dropped marks.
Cuningham fumbled and turned the ball over.
Saad couldn't get near it.

That is a huge part of our team who were really having shockers.
After half time:
Tom de Koning was far more effective. he got the ball, he got his hand on the ball and his goal was a miracle. 200 % better.
Marc Pittonet got on top in the ruck and started taking marks around the ground and getting clearances. His game was maybe 400% better.
Fog still struggled, but he put in and made a contribution with his body. It was his worst game for quite a while, but even he lifted significantly.
Hollands grew an extra leg. His turned his worst game into a good game, he was more physical, he provided a good option and he ran his opponents into the ground.
Dow started hitting targets. His goal was brilliant, but he was really hard at it.
Kemp turned his game around and started providing drive from defence.
Cuningham started hitting targets and his goal was special.
Saad didn't get a lot of ball, but he kept his man to nothing and provided drive when we needed it. Still his quietest game for ages, but he didn't get beaten in the second half.

That sort of improvement was why we won. Cripps lifted: he dominated clearances.
Docherty was excellent all day, but for his one terrible turnover.
Fisher played his most effective gave ever!
Charlie was double and triple teamed, but still provided some killer moment. His passes made 2 goals.
Nic Newman: 35 possessions, 4 clearances, 13 marks, 3 tackles and God knows what more. How BOG could he be?
Blake Acres: probably his most complete game for us. His goals were crucial. he popped up in the right spot to make intercept marks and he made things happen.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #27
One guy who struggled a lot today was Caleb Marchbank. He really didn't have a lot of impact, and he made a couple of terrible errors. However, he still went about it the right way.
I can't see him getting a game when McGovern is fit.
Do we keep him? His best is excellent, but after missing so much footy, he looks well off the pace. he will be a very hard decision come season's end. besides, he still has some chance of making me look like an idiot.

On the other hand, Jade Gresham was underwhelming. With the improved form of Martin, Owies and Motlop, do we really need him? Martin at his best is lethal. Owies plays for the jumper and gives his all. Motlop could be anything. Even Small Durds looks like he has a future, even though he hasn't shown much of it this year. Granted Fog had a real dirty day today, but he has done things I've never seen from Gresham; tackles and spoils and chases and pressure.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
The first half was as bad as we've been all season; fumbles, turnovers, miskicks and not smart movement. We had a lot of players really down:
Not just us, I thought both teams fumbled a lot, it was like the pill was greasy early in the game, just that the Aints made the most of limited opportunities.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Thought the win was epic. It was like a final.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!