Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 9296 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #45
You want to go back to the side from last year?

Cincotta is a very good player and lucky to have him but Doc is better.

Reply #46
Cincotta is a very good player and lucky to have him but Doc is better.

Cincotta is a better defender.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #47
I think Cincotta has to play, kicks well both feet, has leg speed and can take a bump, still get up and carry on and I like how he plays close to his man which Is what I look for in a defender.
If I was looking for a player to drop it would be Cottrell, he is handy and does some good stuff but has been a bit ordinary of late  and with Fisher and Dow coming in and doing ok it probably puts him under pressure for his spot if we want to bring all our injured regulars back in who helped provide the catalyst for our present run of success.
I could also see Dow losing his spot but being made the sub, good position to be in having choices but we will have some unhappy players...
Fisher vs Boyd.....might depend on the opposition for me, the former is now the incumbent and his ball use had been very good since returning but as MBB pointed out we are going to need some defense being played and we cant detract from Saads game by making him play too deep and on extremely dangerous players and then expect him to provide his usual drive.
I would play Cuningham and Fogarty and having McGovern in for Marchbank is a no brainer imo...
Jack Silvagni looks like missing out in favour of Harry now being back plus the coaching box being happy with the Pittonet/TDK ruck combo setup....Id be finding a spot for Jack but I dont see the MC making him a priority and the success of the Owies, Martin, Motlop and Fogarty small forward setup has probably dented his chances of selection also.
Might be the farewell game for Ed Curnow this week too....

Reply #48
WCE beat the Bulldogs
Bulldogs have Geelong at Geelong next week.
If they win they'll push GWS out on percentage
GWS will know by our game whether they have to win to make finals.

Reply #49
I have been picking next weeks Blues team every week since I became a Blues fan in 1968 and I don't recall a tougher selection task than this coming week. First up are the inter-related philosophical questions - 1 do we rest tired/banged-up players? and 2 do we prioritise getting miles into the legs of returning players? North failed to overrun the tigers in the seconds, so no-one outside the 23 are getting any match practice. The remaining unknowns at time of writing are whether top 4 is still a chance and conversely who we'd be playing week 1 of the finals on either a round 23 win or loss scenario. The former will be clear tonight, the latter by match time. If top 4 is on offer we play our strongest side, likewise if the results make a win imperative. Otherwise I am more open to being dictated by the opportunity to get miles into the legs of returning players.

To my mind we rest Cripps, Docherty and Hollands on any scenario. All would benefit from the 2 weeks off and all are struggling at the moment such that fresh legs would be a benefit to the team this week anyway – not to denigrate what they bring to the table. Incoming I would expect all of Cerra, McGovern and Walsh to come in. Also Kennedy and Silvagni if they are fit. Perhaps Boyd, though Fisher has been better than I thought he could be in the loose defender role. However I wonder whether we can afford his lack of defensive application when it comes to finals. Boyd and Cincotta to me are more defensive, more physical, better overhead and in Boyd’s case a better kick than Fisher. McGovern is a different type of defender and Marchbank and Kemp are the obvious 2 he potentially replaces, unless you want to play all 3 in which case one of them plays small and one of the small defenders goes out. That doesn’t effect our run that much and gives us flexibility if one of our tall defenders goes down.

On ball Ed Curnow I think is cooked. Cuningham has not been setting the world alight despite his obvious gifts and may be at risk. Cottrell is not the most skilled player going around but I like his versatility and team ethic and his incredible running power is crucial to the way this team plays. He stays for mine.  Lastly, if there is not much hanging on the game I say we blood Binns.  He has been excellent all year in the 2s and deserves a run.  If he turns it on we have another selection dilemma, otherwise we have 1 natural out for the final.  Win/win in my view and an investment in the future.

At this stage assuming we will prioritise getting miles into the legs of returning players and assuming Kennedy and Silvagni are fit to play my line-up is:

BOYD WEITERING MARCHBANK

FISHER McGOVERN SAAD

ACRES DOW WALSH

BINNS McKAY MARTIN

SILVAGNI/PITTONET C CURNOW OWIES

DE KONING KENNEDY/CINCOTTA CERRA

COTTRELL HEWETT KEMP MOTLOP / FOGARTY

EMERGENCIES CINCOTTA HOLLANDS YOUNG

IN    BOYD McGOVERN WALSH BINNS (NEW) SILVAGNI KENNEDY CERRA FOGARTY

OUT NEWMAN DOCHERTY CRIPPS HOLLANDS (RESTED) E CURNOW CINCOTTA PITTONET CUNINGHAM (OMITTED)

LOCKS TO RETURN CRIPPS DOCHERTY NEWMAN

PUSHING TO RETURN CINCOTTA CUNINGHAM HOLLANDS

CHANCE TO RETURN PITTONET

BACKUPS E CURNOW COWAN HONEY O'BRIEN PLOWMAN YOUNG

Reply #50
How are we going to fit everyone!

We are going to flirt with form I reckon and presser going to be "lessons to learn"

Fascinating week coming.

Reply #51
When you're a good team, good players will miss. Remember Troy Bond, Matthew Allan, Barry Mitchell, Adrian Gleeson all played a part in 1995.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #52
Well I think the Fabric players are Cripps, Docherty, Weitering, Charlie and Walsh
Important players - McKay, Cerra, Hewett, Saad, Newman, Martin
High Quality Young talent - Kemp, Motlop, TDK, Hollands
Regular starters - Silvagni, Pittonet, McGovern, Owies, Kennedy, Acres
Squad players - Fogarty, Fisher, Cincotta, Dow, Cottrell, Marchbank, Young, Boyd, Cunningham
Exciting Young Talent - remainder of under 23s
The rest - surplus to requirements.

Good luck to the leaders of the club to get the selections right - you will need it.

Reply #53
My changes would be this.

1. McGovern <-> Marchbank. Tough call to leave marchbank out, but McGovern and he play the same position and Gov has more upside.
2. Cerra <-> Dow. Same as above. Dow can be called upon in times of injury, but he is not first picked.
3. Walsh <-> Fisher. Docherty goes back to defense, Walsh takes up the midfield role at Fishers expense.
4. Fogarty <-> Cuningham <-> E. Curnow (sub). Fogarty plays the whole game, Cuners comes on as an impact player in Eds place.

If all goes well, sub off Hollands and let Cunners loose to carve them up late.

Reply #54
My changes would be this.

1. McGovern <-> Marchbank. Tough call to leave marchbank out, but McGovern and he play the same position and Gov has more upside.
2. Cerra <-> Dow. Same as above. Dow can be called upon in times of injury, but he is not first picked.
3. Walsh <-> Fisher. Docherty goes back to defense, Walsh takes up the midfield role at Fishers expense.
4. Fogarty <-> Cuningham <-> E. Curnow (sub). Fogarty plays the whole game, Cuners comes on as an impact player in Eds place.

If all goes well, sub off Hollands and let Cunners loose to carve them up late.

This.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #55
But not a tough call on marchbank for me lol.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #56
Who would you drop?

Doc won't play in the middle when Walsh and Cerra come back in.

I'm happy to drop no-one, bring the others back and just play 26. That'll stuff the opposition...lol.

Reply #57
Could be a dead rubber by the time our game comes along. We might play GWS 2 weeks in a row.

Reply #58
I still have a small thought that giving Cripps a rest in this last game might keep him fresh and ready for the finals. I could see the Giants going hard at some of our players to make them sore for the first final.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #59
I can see the bulldogs knocking off Geelong.

Geelong have the sort of team, where they can put some older players on ice for this game and get them ready for next year, whilst improving their draft hand.  They wont be motivated to beat the bulldogs, but the bulldogs will go out guns blazing to make finals.

From what I can see, either everything turns on its head this week, or the status quo will largely remain.  Will all depend on the Brisbane vs Saints game.  If that follows the script everything is normal. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson