Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 9252 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #90
Toby seems to have pulled his head in since becoming the skipper.  Anger management?

I’d be surprised if Newy can keep him as quiet as he did last time but he should definitely get the first crack.

We had a very different defence when we played them earlier in the season with Young, Cowan and McGovern in the team.  I think that we played a midfielder (Cerra or Hewett) in defence to allow Docherty to play in the midfield.

I prefer our current defensive set up … and it’s the most miserly in the competition.  That includes Marchbank ahead of McGovern.  Gov is flashier but Marchy is more reliable.

Its amazing what giving someone responsibility can do to a players attitude.  I always wonder all those years ago, had we given Fevola a bit more responsibility how he would have fared.  Given he was a bit self centred, it might have made him more selfless, or it could have exacerbated that further, but we will never know.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #91
If we do look at playing GWS twice I’d put someone on Toby Greene who will niggle the crap out of him in this first one. Given his track record he will loose his cool and not be playing in the second. He is their real leader and talisman. Nic Newman is the man for the job
Think Newman will get Greene...problems may be more at the other end where we can't expect Charlie to kick 5 every week.Taylor will probably give Weitering a run for the AA fullback position and his sidekick Buckley is also highly rated so we need some other players to step up.
Going to be a tough game...

Reply #92
Getting way off what should be a very focused topic.

Off-topic posts may begin to disappear 🙄
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #93
Toby seems to have pulled his head in since becoming the skipper.  Anger management?

I’d be surprised if Newy can keep him as quiet as he did last time but he should definitely get the first crack.

We had a very different defence when we played them earlier in the season with Young, Cowan and McGovern in the team.  I think that we played a midfielder (Cerra or Hewett) in defence to allow Docherty to play in the midfield.

I prefer our current defensive set up … and it’s the most miserly in the competition.  That includes Marchbank ahead of McGovern.  Gov is flashier but Marchy is more reliable.

I like the idea of Newman keeping a close eye on Toby. If he plays, Cottrell could lend a hand.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #94
Looking forward to seeing Charlie's bullet passes from outside 50 to a forward running into space.  Sublime and superb to wtach.

Reply #95
I like the idea of Newman keeping a close eye on Toby. If he plays, Cottrell could lend a hand.
Can Newman keep pace with Greene?

I suspect a team ethic might be required, Newman, Kemp and Saad subject to where Greene choses to go!

I'd also like to see Cincotta get a crack for a while, assuming he's playing, I'd not ask him to run off Greene just stick to him like a fly to shizen!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
Can Newman keep pace with Greene?

I suspect a team ethic might be required, Newman, Kemp and Saad subject to where Greene choses to go!

I'd also like to see Cincotta get a crack for a while, assuming he's playing, I'd not ask him to run off Greene just stick to him like a fly to shizen!

Newman didn't give Toby a sniff last time so there's no doubt about his ability to keep pace with him.  However, our defence is built on teamwork and individuals have the confidence and smarts to leave their direct opponent and make an extra number at the confidence.  They know that a teammate will have rolled on to their direct opponent.

We do get caught out occassionally but, as the best defensive team in the competition, it's not often enough to hurt.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #97
Newman didn't give Toby a sniff last time so there's no doubt about his ability to keep pace with him.  However, our defence is built on teamwork and individuals have the confidence and smarts to leave their direct opponent and make an extra number at the confidence.  They know that a teammate will have rolled on to their direct opponent.

We do get caught out occassionally but, as the best defensive team in the competition, it's not often enough to hurt.
Yes it was a good game by Newman, got up the field and cut off a lot.

But my memory of that game is that our Mids cleaned up, I think Cripps set a world record or something. Not much got forward of centre for GWS and if we had kicked straight we probably should have won by 10 goals. I also remember Kelly getting leather poisoning, but most of it was deep in our F50 so it didn't hurt us.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
Harry should be better for this game as blew out some cobwebs.

Cerra, Walsh, Hewett and Cripps is a midfield that is mixed with brutality and class.

Martin seems to be getting better every week. They have Toby we have Martin.. talent is similar.

Reply #99
Harry should be better for this game as blew out some cobwebs.

Cerra, Walsh, Hewett and Cripps is a midfield that is mixed with brutality and class.

Martin seems to be getting better every week. They have Toby we have Martin.. talent is similar.

That's being very kind to Jack Martin!

I think that Jack has made a huge difference to our team. His constant running and ability to find space, his tackling and hardness at the contest, ability to pluck a mark, and his quickness in identifying options and then hitting targets is right up there.  Toby does all of that, and then some.

Reply #100
Pinot....combined, Martin, Owies and Motlop in the last 5 or so weeks have been huge for us. They've all pretty much hit the scoreboard in every game and means we don't have to rely solely on Charlie kicking the big bags....but it's nice when he does.

Reply #101
mistake playing newman on toby ,he will be ready for him this time , need to play a surprise card  defender.

Reply #102
We also have Cincotta, Kemp and McGovern who could play on him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #103
SoJ out of considerations for Rnd 24, hurt his knee again.
The Force Awakens!