Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 9940 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #255
Who's our Sub?

I think it has to be Dow, can come into the Mid and allow a reshuffle if needed with guys like Hewett or Cerra going to flanks.

The team we've picked looks strong, and it looks flexible, lots of aerobic capacity that  might be the difference in heavy conditions as it's often the players who can push to space or close space on repeat efforts that get the job done.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #256
Petracca is a strong contested Mid, one of the best and very suitable for those conditions, agree on the Cameron sub out.....was a mistake as Cox who had rucked well was knackered.

I think LP took my comment as load up with fast small players. Gawn taking control is the best ruck in the league that you play no matter what the conditions. Not forgetting he is one of the fittest players in terms of endurance. Even though he is huge in size. Petracca is one of the most electric players and a size that can play against tall, small, fast, or strong players. He has to play. Mind you he didn’t do much in the first half. Oliver was almost non existent in the first half. Melbourne fed their talls with poor delivery in the first 3 quarters. Melbourne struggled to have crumbing players pick up the spoils. Melbourne under high pressure struggle. Every side does. They just fail to rebound as well as some sides do. Collingwood showed this tonight. Just as we did when we played them both when the heat is on. They both drive hard in the last quarter but if you establish a decent lead before the last quarter, you are a chance to win. Petracca can only do so much. Same goes for Gawn. My comment was based on a first half of football. A trend. I wouldn’t want us to fully load up with tall marking targets that fail once the ball comes to ground. We still need hard bodies in the middle. This appears where the game is won. At the stoppages which is one of our strengths. Faster running types to carry the ball on the rebound might help us win. Defence, middle of the ground and forward. Don’t bet Charlie will kick a bag of 5 goals, and Harry doing the same. They will bring the ball to ground often and then starts the sh@t fight for the ball. The same goes in our defensive 50m. We can’t load up with the tallest line up we have. Unless there is some leg speed and ability to clear the ball forward. Collingwood are genuine and have a balanced squad. They are the side to beat. Them and Brisbane which we haven’t won against recently or probably long term. We have beaten Collingwood with tough pressure footy. We have to beat Sydney next, which is not a choice thing. It just has to happen no matter what. To potentially see Collingwood in a grand final on the final stage. Oops, I just took off the lid.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #257
Motlop for Cunningham
Hollands for Marchbank
Cunningham sub  ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #258
The last thing we can do is be predictable.

If we listened to the scribes we would have traded TDK, rucked Pitto and played SoJ in 2nd ruck, that was a month or two back, now the very same people tell us we must play TDK solo and in the absence of SoJ 2nd ruck Harry leaving Pitto out. The people making these comments aren't tacticians they are weathervanes.

Thankfully our MC do not listen to the media / social media screamers, of course if we fall to get up they be "I told you so" like the options they offered were better, but nobody is better placed or more experienced than Voss and that includes nearly all of the media types, maybe Hodge has the license to make genuine critique, the others not so much as most of them failed to impact finals.

On Motlop, I think it's wise he sits out for the first final, if he has one clear shortfall it's work ethic / aerobic capacity and in finals work ethic is non-negotiable, you've got to be prepared to run your guts out! If we get past this final then bring Motlop in when those opposition legs are just a tad more rubbery and he can have a real impact.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #259
Why is Motlop not playing ??

Wet greasy conidtions with plenty of talls in the team, we need some smaller guys crumbing the fall of the ball.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #260
Why is Motlop not playing ??
Is he fit enough for the 4-Qtr finals slog in heavy conditions?

Maybe Sub?

But I'd prefer Dow as a Sub for reasons I have already mentioned. Dow has proven himself to be quite strong over the ball on the inside contests, he can stand up in the tackles, it goes a long way in heavy conditions, he also has enough straight line pace to run down the odd Swan or two, and finally he allows other talent to be moved where needed.

For me Motlop, Fisher and Hollands don't release other players, unless of course our plan is already to keep Doc out of the Midfield and then Fisher might go to HBF allowing Doc into the Mid. But I suspect Doc is already tagged for Mid rotations at some stage.

But Doc isn't better than Dow inside stoppages, in fact excluding ball use inside stoppages Dow might be as good as any we have bar our captain.

Pretty sh1t luck for Kennedy in my opinion, to be injured at just the wrong time of season and we've no VFL team playing finals, it hurts us not treating the VFL with enough respect and so when we need it we don't have it.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #261
Far too much +ve Carlton press this week for my liking!  Thankfully Maynard will take some of the attention away.  Sydney have been ignored, but quietly been in some reasonable form as well.

Don't think it will be a good night for footy - hopefully we can play ugly better than Sydney.  Whatever it is, it won't be a easy game.

Dow as sub for me - he has shown he can and will contribute and is a good option to go into the midfield if others need to be moved around (as has been mentioned)

Bad luck on the weather WASurfer, but hopefully you enjoy your time here.

Reply #262
Bad luck on the weather WASurfer, but hopefully you enjoy your time here.
Forecast is moderating, excluding the colder temperature I suspect it will be similar conditions to last night.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #263
I am not surprised by the  team, I thought there would be a difficult choice between Cuningham and Fogarty but it is Motlop who misses out. I thought that if Acres played then Hollands would miss out. I always thought Pittonett would play especially with an injured Silvagni and I thought there would be a choice between Marchbank and Cincotta but it was Fisher who missed out which isn't surprising after the mistakes he made last game.

Reply #264
I'd have gone Motlop and Dow for Cunningham and Marchback. Cunningham then would have been my sub.
There's a possibility we'll loose Gov. Marchbank is coverage.

Reply #265
Showers should pretty much be cleared by late afternoon. Will be bloody cold in the bleaches but hot enough on the ground. Need the wind to drop and we'll feel more comfortable. 

Reply #266
It’s still windy on the Bellarine but seems to be easing and the birds aren’t flying backwards now.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #267
Real Windy in the burbs out east and its going to be slippery under foot and Id expect a repeat of conditions last night at best.
If we start well and get a score on the board early then its going to be hard to reel us in, cant see the Swans going in with all those talls either...

Reply #268
Windy in Coburg.  Lost my packet of chips I was carrying it was that blowy.  Massive gusts.

Playing the conditions would likely suit Kennedy ahead of most kid options as he can kick a goal and is good at the ground ball. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #269
Yep, very windy in the northern suburbs, cold as hell. Rained on and off, very patchy. More coming.

Going to terrible conditions to play footy in, but worse to be watching the game. Hopefully we still get the 90k+ we are expecting because it will give our boys a lift.