Skip to main content
Topic: Third Ashes Test (WACA) - The Decider ?? (Read 45703 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Third Ashes Test (WACA) - The Decider ??

Reply #105
I reckon Clarke's decision to bowl first was correct.  We could have batted, set England a difficult task, and taken the contest out of the game.  However, by bowling first, he (and Boof) has challenged the team to win in different and more difficult circumstances and that will pay dividends in future.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #106
We look like we are back in the drivers seat. Haddin and Lyon batting this morning was doing my head in. Their choice of strokes is puzzling to say the least. Two days to go so there is plenty of time to win. Just need to avoid losing easy wickets. Sure a great delivery will undo any batsmen, but use your feet and play the delivery on its merits.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #107
The test is winnable but no certainty.

Can't afford Unders from Clarke, Warner and Watson.

Need steel resolve from Rogers, Smith and Bailey.

The bowlers have done their part and are excused as is the 36 y/o keeper. 
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #108
The pitch is certainly playing its part in this match.  While it is generally good for batting, it is two paced and the odd ball doesn't come on to the bat.  I suspect that this had produced several false shots.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #109
The pitch is certainly playing its part in this match.  While it is generally good for batting, it is two paced and the odd ball doesn't come on to the bat.  I suspect that this had produced several false shots.

I agree but with patience it still favours the bat. There are runs to be made if a player keeps his cool. The shot Warner tried to execute was simply stupid. He is way better than that. Rodgers and Watson appear to be doing the job they need to.

Reply #110
Reckon Boof read the riot act to them (especially the batsmen) about their 'cocky' almost arrogant attitude... to me a symtom of getting ahead of yourself. They sure did bat with strong discipline today... and had a few breaks which helps.

Pom captaincy and attitude today was below amateur.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #111
It was great to see Buck get his century (even if it was just on TV).  His immediate future as a Test cricketer is assured and a couple of good scores against the South Africans will cement his position. 

Reply #112
Reckon Boof read the riot act to them (especially the batsmen) about their 'cocky' almost arrogant attitude... to me a symtom of getting ahead of yourself. They sure did bat with strong discipline today... and had a few breaks which helps.

Pom captaincy and attitude today was below amateur.

They did have a better attitude to batting today. However the Poms missed so many opportunities it just isn't funny. The old "Catches win matches" is something they need to study. I didn't think Bairstow did his glove work in this test at all. Just doesn't get in the right place keeping. I'm not sure he offers much with the bat either. Prior will be back for certain I would think. Can't see any changes with the Aussie squad. They are working well as a team at the moment. They need to focus with the bat though. They have the bowling well sorted, but can still get lazy with the stroke play with the bat. I always thought this MCG was quite flat and would offer big scoring with the bat. Today at 2 for 233 is enough evidence of that. Best of luck to the Aussies in the last one at the SCG. ;)

Reply #113
Don't get me wrong because I love seeing us win test matches especially against the Poms, but I've a few questions for Boof.

What about Patrick Cummins?

What about Jackson Bird?

What about James Faulkner?

What about James Pattinson?

What about Ashton Agar?

What about Fawad  Ahmed?
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #114
Don't get me wrong because I love seeing us win test matches especially against the Poms, but I've a few questions for Boof.

What about Jackson Bird?

What about Ashton Agar?

What about Fawad  Ahmed?

Throw in Starc as well. Our bowling depth is probably the best in the world so no issues there if they can stay injury-free.

Our batting is still a worry and I'm expecting us to be found out in SA. Watson may have batted well yesterday but he's too inconsistent at number 3 for mine. I'd love to see him batting at six when there's not as much pressure. Can't have Watson at 3, Smith at 5 and Bailey at 6 if we want to challenge for top spot. Can't keep expect Haddin to recsue us. Problem is who do we bring in?

Reply #115
Often our bats have often done well in one innings of the two. Means although they might only average 35 for the series they're making a score in one of the two innings. For example one might make 60 & 10 another 10 & 60 meaning with Rogers, Haddin, Warner consistently going well a half century contribution by another means a good total.

Watson's made 68, 176, 51, 103 and 83no in 5 of his last 6 Tests but made not much in the other innings.

Reply #116
Often our bats have often done well in one innings of the two. Means although they might only average 35 for the series they're making a score in one of the two innings. For example one might make 60 & 10 another 10 & 60 meaning with Rogers, Haddin, Warner consistently going well a half century contribution by another means a good total.

Watson's made 68, 176, 51, 103 and 83no in 5 of his last 6 Tests but made not much in the other innings.

Maybe but it hasn't served us very well up until this current series. I see Doolan has been called up for the Sydney test. If he gets a start let's hope he performs well and puts some pressure on the likes of Bailey and Smith.

Re Watson, his 176 in England was made when the series result was over and his 103 in Perth was made with no pressure. I'll give him credit for yesterday's innings, but more times than not he goes missing when the pressure is on, not what you want from a number 3. I do think he'd go better at 6 though.

Reply #117

Under an injury cloud and will only play the short game for the next 2 years.

What about Jackson Bird?
Another bowler with back problems.  A few in front of him.

Injured during training for 3rd Test, could come in for Watson.

Starting his comeback from injury - played one T20 game.

What about Ashton Agar?
14 wickets at 48, nowhere near good enough yet.

What about Fawad  Ahmed?
14 wickets at 34 - miles behind Lyon at the moment.

Reply #118

Maybe but it hasn't served us very well up until this current series. I see Doolan has been called up for the Sydney test. If he gets a start let's hope he performs well and puts some pressure on the likes of Bailey and Smith.

Re Watson, his 176 in England was made when the series result was over and his 103 in Perth was made with no pressure. I'll give him credit for yesterday's innings, but more times than not he goes missing when the pressure is on, not what you want from a number 3. I do think he'd go better at 6 though.

He does well in one innings and makes nothing in the other, like a few of our blokes. Makes it look like some are struggling more than they really are. Fortunately their bigger scores are in different innings to the overall total is still good.

The 176 were made in a Test match, in the first innings. No match is ever played as a dead rubber. He led the runscorers in England. whichever way it's argued the runs are on the board. The only innings made without any pressure at all was the 2nd innings slog on at the end of the Perth Test. Problem is, like a few of our blokes, they make a good score in one innings, and nothing in the other. No.6 mightn't be a bad thing.

If Watson's injured for the last Test the Doolan will come in and bat 3. That means Bailey will miss as Faulker will come in as the all-rounder. If that works out Doolan will hopefully go to SA, bat 3 or 4 allowing Clarke to go back to 5, then smith at 6. If Harris is rested then Coulter-Nile will come in

Reply #119

Under an injury cloud and will only play the short game for the next 2 years.

What about Jackson Bird?
Another bowler with back problems.  A few in front of him.

Injured during training for 3rd Test, could come in for Watson.

Starting his comeback from injury - played one T20 game.

What about Ashton Agar?
14 wickets at 48, nowhere near good enough yet.

What about Fawad  Ahmed?
14 wickets at 34 - miles behind Lyon at the moment.

Agree with those assessments DJC. All those players are good young cricketers, Fawad Ahmed a more mature type, but have a way to go for various reasons. Some injured and some outta form to a degree.