Skip to main content
Topic: Third Ashes Test (WACA) - The Decider ?? (Read 45754 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Third Ashes Test (WACA) - The Decider ??

Reply #75
Three slips and a gully.

Reply #76
Graham Swann has retired  :o

“I came to Australia in the hope of winning our fourth Ashes series on the trot but that's now impossible," Swann told British newspaper The Sun.

“So it's time for someone else to buckle in and enjoy the ride. I could have made myself available for the last two Tests and maybe had a bit of a send-off from the Barmy Army.

“But that's no reason to hang on for two more games. I like to be the centre of attention - but for the right reason by winning games of cricket.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/graeme-swann-in-shock-retirement-from-cricket-20131222-2zsm7.html#ixzz2oA3OD2Hl
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #77

“I came to Australia in the hope of winning our fourth Ashes series on the trot but that's now impossible," Swann told British newspaper The Sun.

“So it's time for someone else to buckle in and enjoy the ride. I could have made myself available for the last two Tests and maybe had a bit of a send-off from the Barmy Army.

“But that's no reason to hang on for two more games. I like to be the centre of attention - but for the right reason by winning games of cricket.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/graeme-swann-in-shock-retirement-from-cricket-20131222-2zsm7.html#ixzz2oA3OD2Hl

Good career for Swann but I would have thought he had unfinished business in proving he could take wickets in Australia and Melbourne and Sydney should have offered him more.

Reply #78

Good career for Swann but I would have thought he had unfinished business in proving he could take wickets in Australia and Melbourne and Sydney should have offered him more.

I might be being harsh but I reckon it's weak and selfish of him to retire half way through a tough tour where they have already lost one of their key players to illness. He chose to come on the tour and he should see it through to the end and then bow out, not a good sign for the rest of the Poms tour here.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #79

I might be being harsh but I reckon it's weak and selfish of him to retire half way through a tough tour where they have already lost one of their key players to illness. He chose to come on the tour and he should see it through to the end and then bow out, not a good sign for the rest of the Poms tour here.

I suspect that he is physically and emotionally spent and realises that anyone else will do better.  The Aussies' plan to target him both when batting and bowling seems to have taken a toll. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #81
With Swann gone it might be time to rape them again in the Boxing Day test. I was surprised to see Swann throw in the towel and retire, but maybe he can see he just isn't enough to get his side out of a sticky mess. No point going out on a all time low.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #82
Changing of the guard for England...they have been up for a while and now need to rebuild...Swann did the right thing IMO. They have picked up a good kid in Stokes and will probably go from some more youth when they play their next home series...
As Swann suggested they have a good rookie leg spinner in Durham's Scott Borthwick who can also bat a bit and I expect him to be fast tracked into the team...

I'd hit em hard and hit em good in Melbourne..Panesar is a dud IMO and should go for plenty..lets keep the pressure up and grind em into the dirt.....

Reply #83
I wouldn't have thought the Poms are sitting on their hands when it comes to refreshing their Test team; their three best performed players - Broad, Stokes and Root - are among their youngest.

I'm not in favour of tossing blokes out of the team once they turn 30 but it would be nice if we had the equivalent of Stokes and Root breathing down the necks of some of our blokes.

Reply #85
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/graeme-swann-says-some-in-england-team-are-up-themselves/story-fnkc9h32-1226788794061

Friction in the English camp? Directed at more than KP I'd suspect.....

"Some people playing the game at the minute have no idea how far up their own backsides they are," Swann said in comments carried by London's Daily Telegraph ahead of the fourth Test which starts in Melbourne on Thursday.

"It will bite them on the arse one day and when it does I hope they look back and are embarrassed about how they carry on."

Swann did not identify the players he was most disenchanted with, but in his autobiography "The Breaks Are Off'" published two years ago, he doubted Kevin Pietersen's credentials as a captain.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #86
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/graeme-swann-says-some-in-england-team-are-up-themselves/story-fnkc9h32-1226788794061

Friction in the English camp? Directed at more than KP I'd suspect.....

"Some people playing the game at the minute have no idea how far up their own backsides they are," Swann said in comments carried by London's Daily Telegraph ahead of the fourth Test which starts in Melbourne on Thursday.

"It will bite them on the arse one day and when it does I hope they look back and are embarrassed about how they carry on."

Swann did not identify the players he was most disenchanted with, but in his autobiography "The Breaks Are Off'" published two years ago, he doubted Kevin Pietersen's credentials as a captain.

Swann is a mate of Andrew Strauss and doesnt talk to KP....those comments were made at KP for sure.

Reply #87
10 days of cricket left at the most, on a tour where leadership and performance is required.  Who do they have that is going to go better?  Monty?  Suck it up and give selectors a chance think about the future.

Selfish to retire now?  Absolutely.

Reply #88
I'd have Cowan ahead of Rogers and Khawaja ahead of Watson or Bailey.

On what basis?

On the basis that Rogers has done sweet FA compared to Cowan in his test call up. Cowan is 5 years younger and is ahead or even on most comparisons.

Khawaja is much younger than Bailey with a more impressive record based on balls faced.

Watto has 40 tests on Khawaja, but overall his stats remain underwhelming. Khawaja at 27 could easily argue that he can surpass him.

IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #89
It's the old saying it's harder to get out of the team than into it......

Cowan, Khgawaja at present aren't doing enough to warrant a change.

Boof is old school....

on a funnier note.....Swann's gran blames the "nasty" Aussies!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cricket/cricketer-graeme-swanns-granny-blames-nasty-aussies-for-ashes-exit/story-fnkc9h32-1226789209391

;D ;D ;D
Finals, then 4 in a row!