Skip to main content
Topic: Third Ashes Test (WACA) - The Decider ?? (Read 45505 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Third Ashes Test (WACA) - The Decider ??

Reply #120
We desperately need Doolan to do well. Haddin ha been superb so credit has to go to him. he has saved our skin many times. Guys like Bailey and Smith are average bats but Smith is improving somewhat but regardless needs more runs on the board. Would have loved for Bails to do better. Maybe some runs in Sydney.

Doolan Id hope goes to Sth Africa and Id like a development position there also for a bat such as Nic Maddinson for instince. Of the bowlers, injured players like Bird, Starc and Pattinson havent played enough cricket IMHO to warrant going so get them right for the next test series and the nest Aus summer of test cricket. Id take backups in Faulkner, Coulter-Nile and even Bollinger if need be - keep them all around the test team to be cover for Harris, Johnson and Siddle. Of the spinners possibly only Lyon required to go.

Reply #121
We desperately need Doolan to do well. Haddin ha been superb so credit has to go to him. he has saved our skin many times. Guys like Bailey and Smith are average bats but Smith is improving somewhat but regardless needs more runs on the board. Would have loved for Bails to do better. Maybe some runs in Sydney.

Doolan Id hope goes to Sth Africa and Id like a development position there also for a bat such as Nic Maddinson for instince. Of the bowlers, injured players like Bird, Starc and Pattinson havent played enough cricket IMHO to warrant going so get them right for the next test series and the nest Aus summer of test cricket. Id take backups in Faulkner, Coulter-Nile and even Bollinger if need be - keep them all around the test team to be cover for Harris, Johnson and Siddle. Of the spinners possibly only Lyon required to go.
Bird's back bowling and doing well and Pattinson will be well and truly up and going by South Africa.

Smith is looking the part, young with potential. You're right about Doolan. He goes well and it allows Clarke to go back to no.5 and Smith at 6. Our batting line-up is slowly starting to stabilise. Like Watson to play with more confidence and as he has done well lately, in one innings a game at least. He looks like a nervous nellie though, not inspring alot  of confidence until he gets to 40, worrying about  technique and getting out. After that he tends to open right up and look confident like he does in the ODIs.

Reply #122
I think Coulter-Nile and Faulkner would be lock ins for South Africa....both been 12th man and in the formers case due a test debut.
Pattinson I really like as a quick bowler but I think will work his way back to test level through the one day series and see if his body holds up....with Harris looking sore and needing a break I'd be inclined to play Coulter Nile in Sydney and save Harris for the Saffies who are the No 1 test team.

Poms will make chances and I reckon will play Ballance, young leggie Borthwick who is a good prospect and I reckon the giant Boyd Rankin will also get a game and will try and return fire as he is fairly quick but tends to bowl everything short.....

Doolan has to come in for Bailey at some stage.....and I remain unconvinced with Smith and reckon he will be fodder in South Africa....