Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2024 Post Game Review Carlton vs GWS (Read 2525 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2024 Post Game Review Carlton vs GWS

Reply #45
Never would I have imagined the Pitt / TDK ruck combination would've worked let alone worked so well as it did yesterday. Easily Pitto's best game for a while if not EVER. Was like a man possessed. Maybe his position was being questioned? Anyway, not sure if it will be replicated, but I guess we'll find out next week.
Didn't think we were playing badly from the get go but just kept missing shots on goal and the Giants seemed to make every shot. Then the blitz in the 3rd. Just came out of nowhere and it is so exhilarating
Cripps was outstanding. Just inspiring.
Walsh magnificent. Like he's never been injured.
George is having a really, really good year. Thought he was past it early on but he just seems to be motoring.
Kennedy's best game for the year and couldn't have come at a better time
Surprised the soldiers that came in to cover in Cowan and Young did pretty well.
Just cameos all over the place. Cottrell, Durdin, Hollands x 2. Just brilliant.
The boys worked very well. Can we produce the same effort next week as we play the undefeated top team again? I hope so! Glad it's at the G

Reply #46
Pretty much a full team effort across the board....with outstanding contributions from Cripps/Walsh.

The 1 ruck v 2 ruck debate has gone on before and probably will again, but I thought Pittonet was superb today and was okay last week first up too. His contested work yesterday was fantastic and it seemed to allow TDK a bit more freedom when he went on the ball  or drifted forward.

Missing Doc, Saad and McGovern down back but the likes of Young and especially Kemp and Cowan stood up. With Saad out for 6 weeks, great opportunity for Cowan now....looks as tough as nails and doesn't shirk the contest.

Charlie frustrates and should've had at least 3 goals at half time and sometimes looks like he needs to work a lot harder....but seems to be able to hit the scoreboard nearly every week. Similarly, Harry was clunking big marks up on the wings, but couldn't hold the ones closer to goal....but turned it around too.

Elijah Hollands looks like he'll be a player for us. Goes in hard and just some untidy disposals let him down yesterday.

Then the unsung blokes like Cotters, Kennedy, Durdin, Owies etc who chipped in with goals and assists.

Really surprised we went in as favourites with the bookies but that's close to the best win under Voss IMO.......missing blokes like Doc, JSOS, Martin, Motlop, Saad, McGovern and Cerra....that's 7 blokes likely in the starting 23....as well as Marchbank and Cunningham. What it shows is that we finally have some depth.

Reply #47

There’s nothing wrong with playing two rucks, provided that they can do more than take part in ruck contests.

A very important proviso but one that seems even more likely if the umpires continue to adjudicate centre ruck contests in the current manner, which allows Pitto to push his opponents around in a way that tended to get him penalized in previous seasons..

Reply #48
Charlie frustrates and should've had at least 3 goals at half time and sometimes looks like he needs to work a lot harder....but seems to be able to hit the scoreboard nearly every week.

Charlie has the athleticism to do much more but he doesn't chase hard after an opponent with the ball anywhere near as hard as he chases a loose ball that he thinks he can possess. 

Reply #49
Charlie has the athleticism to do much more but he doesn't chase hard after an opponent with the ball anywhere near as hard as he chases a loose ball that he thinks he can possess. 

His partner in crime does though. Big H laid a couple of super tackles / pressure acts that gave us important opportunities.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #50
Indeed. It is Charlie's biggest weakness and one he needs to address. Fev was the same for a while, but once he got used to using his strength and pace, he got good frees from tackling and chasing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #51
Me too, credit where credit's due. He really needs to keep working on taking account of his opponent. This aspect was poor early in the game.
That was 2022 Young yesterday.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
TDK is regularly showing he can take a mark and kick a goal when forward.

Two rucks works PROVIDED one can play forward. We have that hence can work. If do don't then you can't play 2 rucks, ala Gawn and Grundy, as it ends up a liability to the side. You basically play one short.

Nailed it Jimbo.

This has been my issue in the 2 ruck debate since it started.
Last night TDK morphed from a ruck into a genuine forward option. THAT is what we have been wanting from him. THAT is what Silvagni was offering in the past and why he was my preference.
If TDK can continue to be a genuine option up forward, not just making up the numbers, then it can work. It was ideal conditions for him last night, that is, inside Marvel stadium (no rain, wind) and against an undermanned GWS defence. Hopefully he can still do it in future games, but it wont be as easy.

I was critical last week because Pitto played 50% and TDK 75% game time, meaning a ruck was on the bench for 3/4s of the game.
Last night it was Pitto 68% and TDK 80%, meaning we only had a ruck on the bench for basically 50% of the game. We had an extra quarter of other rotations. Potentially with 2 games under his belt now and TDK blossoming up forward, those numbers may go up again next week....which is all we want. That way it doesn't eat into our other rotations too much. TDK is basically playing Silvagnis role now.

For those commenting about Charlie going back....this is not new. He's been doing it relatively regularly. He was doing it in the finals last year. He's been doing it earlier this year as well.

I can't help but think part of our ability to come back and rally has something to do with our supporter base.
We are by far the loudest crowd going at present and when we get on a role, we really start rocking the stadium. Giants wouldn't have known what hit them. We have a genuine home ground advantage and not just against interstate teams.

Reply #53
So, in the third term leak aliir was off for a substantial period and that's when we did our damage. 

Orazio played his best game in navy.  Might not have troubled the stats sheet but his leadership (constant direction and chatter) as well as work rate (particularly during our surge) was good.  He's probably first cab out when we get motlop back but don't underestimate his value.  He linked up well a couple of times and when we were blazing away he lowered his eyes and hit up targets a couple of times leading to scores.  He's not winning games himself but the usual suspects are going to perform when the Indians like Boyd, fantasia, durdin cotters, acres do the basics well and just keep giving the main events of cripps, McKay, curnow, Walsh, etc the impetus to impose themselves without having to worry about the others.

Also big kudos to voss.  Gws I think kicked 5 in a row in the second term and they made the call to drop curnow back when our defense was all at sea.  He didn't exactly do much but take one steadying mark, but it turned the game into an arm wrestle again and killed thr gws momentum.  We scored the next goal and he went forward again.  It just basically made them second guess what to do and they lost momentum. Curnow made the call himself. I saw him running through the center and signalling to the bench that he was going into the backline. Free rein to do it himself or a planed move. Either way it worked.

Psychologically this was extremely important particularly as he was having a bit of an off day to that point.  A lot of fans around me couldn't work out why he decided to do it, but I thought it's not a bad idea.  It also has the effect of opening up our forward line and pushing a ruck forward and letting Charlie have a gallop.

Reply #54
TDK is regularly showing he can take a mark and kick a goal when forward.

Two rucks works PROVIDED one can play forward. We have that hence can work. If do don't then you can't play 2 rucks, ala Gawn and Grundy, as it ends up a liability to the side. You basically play one short.

Will play against his brother next week. Could be an interesting week in the De Koning household this week.

Reply #55
I think TDK benefited from Taylor not playing for GWS and affecting how they setup down back.....so I would want to see more evidence than just one game that he is a reliable forward option or just a one hit wonder every now and then.

Reply #56
Curnow made the call himself. I saw him running through the center and signalling to the bench that he was going into the backline. Free rein to do it himself or a planed move. Either way it worked.
Funny you mention that, my nephew got a visit from Pitto at the RCH on Thurs. He reckons they pretty much let Charlie do whatever he likes. Said he is an absolute freak.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #57
Greene and Hogan get a week off for their troubles
Henry Ford.

Reply #58
Just watched the replay.
Aside from the 2nd q, we were dominant. Albeit very inaccurate with 5 or 6 easy misses.
When Giants kicked 5 goals, we kicked 5pts 😳

I think Toby Greene's let his match in little Boydy. Who'd have thought. Boyd is developing extremely well 👏🏼 If not Boyd, Newy's also done a number on him. A couple of our breaks came on the back of Greene's indiscretions. Not an easy player to have the better of. That’s a win.
Henry Ford.

Reply #59
Greene and Hogan get a week off for their troubles
Not sure Greene should get a week for that.

Hogan absolutely
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson