Skip to main content
Topic: Fifth Ashes Test - The Clean Sweeper ?? (Read 21708 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Fifth Ashes Test - The Clean Sweeper ??

Reply #15
Haddin is going to get trapped in front if he doesn't stop jumping !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #16
Watson, Warner, Smith, Haddin & Bailey are always very susceptible to an early departure. It's mind-boggling to understand how we have got to be 4-0 at times.

i would add Clarke to that 'early departure' call quite frankly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #17
Watson, Warner, Smith, Haddin & Bailey are always very susceptible to an early departure. It's mind-boggling to understand how we have got to be 4-0 at times.

Bar Bailey, the batsmen have done well and got runs when they matttered, plus the tail making heaps. Then the bowlers have simply destroyed them.

Reply #18

He's had a couple of centuries but other than that Clarke hasn't done well again at no.4. Want Doolan in to replace Bailey, bat at 4 so Clarke can drop back to 5 and Smith at 6. With Haddin and the tail to copme that'd look so muc h better balanced.

Reply #19
Poms don't know how to win any more, at 5/97, they should have applied the blow-torch to our middle order & tail to ensure they were chasing no more than 150.

They now have to make over 300 to keep themselves in the match and are already one down, how the hell were they so good on home soil ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #20

He's had a couple of centuries but other than that Clarke hasn't done well again at no.4. Want Doolan in to replace Bailey, bat at 4 so Clarke can drop back to 5 and Smith at 6. With Haddin and the tail to copme that'd look so muc h better balanced.

The problem isn't necessarily Clarke batting at #4, it's that he has to come in so early after the openers have failed.

Reply #21
Clarke hasn't made first digs runs for a while and his more recent dismissals have looked soft and reminiscent of his earlier career when he wasn't a great starter and made a lot of scores between 10-30.  Agree that he is better at 5 we need to find blokes to bat at 2, 3 and  4  first.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22
Clarke hasn't made first digs runs for a while and his more recent dismissals have looked soft and reminiscent of his earlier career when he wasn't a great starter and made a lot of scores between 10-30.  Agree that he is better at 5 we need to find blokes to bat at 2, 3 and  4  first.

For now we can run with Warner, Rogers, Watson, and either Doolan or White in the top 4. Top 3 have been making some runs, White is having a stellar season in shield cricket, so maybe strike while the form's hot there, and Doolan's deserves a run. That will allow Clarke to go back to 5 and bat Smith at 6.

Reply #23
Poms don't know how to win any more, at 5/97, they should have applied the blow-torch to our middle order & tail to ensure they were chasing no more than 150.

They now have to make over 300 to keep themselves in the match and are already one down, how the hell were they so good on home soil ??

This is a very good question. They couldn't have dropped in form that bad, and so quickly. Then again we could have made a few more runs as some of the stroke play choices again had me wondering and Smith in particular for the last wicket. They could have easily played out the day and added another 30 runs by playing safe. We need to rattle the Poms with 2 or 3 early wickets before lunch to have them completely on the back foot. I look at Bailey and wonder what his worth in the squad is to be honest. I'm not a selector though.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #24
Its funny with Smith.....he has made runs but I still dont rate him and reckon he will be found out in South Africa where they will find the edge of that angled bat he dangles outside off stump. He has managed to find the middle of that angled blade for three centuries vs England but I dont see him getting away with it vs the Saffies attack and they dont drop too many catches like the Poms.

Hats off to Haddin... I thought he was gone for all money but he would have been player of the series if not for Johnson's dominance..... reckon the Poms will be all out for 220 odd and will get  rolled for about 170 in the second dig and it will be 5-0.....
Never known a team to pull so many go slow/hold up the game tactics as the Poms and the ICC need to enforce penalties for this type of carry on which ruins the game....

Reply #25
Its funny with Smith.....he has made runs but I still dont rate him and reckon he will be found out in South Africa where they will find the edge of that angled bat he dangles outside off stump. He has managed to find the middle of that angled blade for three centuries vs England but I dont see him getting away with it vs the Saffies attack and they dont drop too many catches like the Poms.

Hats off to Haddin... I thought he was gone for all money but he would have been player of the series if not for Johnson's dominance..... reckon the Poms will be all out for 220 odd and will get  rolled for about 170 in the second dig and it will be 5-0.....
Never known a team to pull so many go slow/hold up the game tactics as the Poms and the ICC need to enforce penalties for this type of carry on which ruins the game....

Smith I like to keep with as he's still young with alot to offer. May be up and down for a while but he has something to work with. Like to see him develop his bowling a little more as that'd be very handy for a number of relief overs.

Reply #26
On the up side... this side has something that won't surrender. At 5 for under 100 we achieved over 300... that is character. There's some steel in this side, but not enough blokes who have it.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27

Smith I like to keep with as he's still young with alot to offer. May be up and down for a while but he has something to work with. Like to see him develop his bowling a little more as that'd be very handy for a number of relief overs.

I actually like Smith as an individual and like how he doesnt get too carried away with himself and has a humble attitude..I just wish he would play with a straighter bat and cut out the one day shots that get him out cheaply......I too would like to see him bowl more as I think he has something to offer with his leggies.
Could be a future captain given he has a easy going attitude and of course comes from NSW....

Reply #28
On the up side... this side has something that won't surrender. At 5 for under 100 we achieved over 300... that is character. There's some steel in this side, but not enough blokes who have it.

And you could argue Haddin's charmed form cannot continue e.g. in SA, then we're stuffed.....

I'd be blooding Faulkner or maybe even Mitch Marsh at 6.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
Haddin must be close to man of the series... just behind Mitchamus J.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17