Skip to main content
Topic: 2014 Australian Open  (Read 64814 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2014 Australian Open

Reply #105
The media and the public got on his back because we could all plainly see that he's a knob.

If someone like monfils was Australian, he'd get the royal treatment from the media.
Tomic needs an international former slam coach - move away from his dad -and apply himself 100%
kids definitely got talent.
ATM - it looks ominously similar to scud - more slams than grand slams

The silly thing is he has far more potential than the Scud. He has the ability to win points from his ground strokes and not rely on his power serve. He just needs to work harder than he has before and stay out of trouble. Start winning more often and appear to be the good guy like Federer and Djokovic and the media will get off his case. So will his fans. He has to decide things need to change first.

he needs to develop his skills and application out of this country - I cant imagine
any Australian post Hewitt becoming No 1 again. Media are savages here

Reply #106
the media have been kind to him imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #107
Hes not my pin up boy it just annoys me so typical of the media to get on his back and Australians to follow suit. We've seen it all before.

Its true.

Hewitt was a complete knob but the abuse of the linesman (or was it woman) in the US open never gets mentioned by people these days because he is just "so brave".  A bit like the Bombers.  Who can do no wrong according to the media.

Tomic is guilty of having made some bad choices to the age of 21.  Big whoop.  He isn't the first, and won't be the last.

The young Greek boys are already being dubbed party boys.  One is 17, the other 18.  Where could they possibly be getting up to no good, when one is from Canberra and the other is from Adelaide, and even if they did spend the next 4 years partying, big deal.  They are kids.  Let them behave like it.  Getting on their back in the media will not yield result and ultimately, teenage and early 20's boys all have the number one priority of getting a certain part of their anatomy wet and that's about it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #108
So let me guess? You both bagged the sht out of him the other night, are proven to be wrong and perhaps look a little foolish and this is your way of cleaning things up? But of course Tomic cares that much about what people like yourselves think that he would pull himself out of tennis and have surgery he doesn't require just to appease the haters.

Just cop it on the chin like men and move on. ;)

It is elective surgery, just in case; Elective (of surgical or medical treatment) chosen by the patient rather than urgently necessary

I don't see anywhere someone posted that he didn't need or want the surgery, PI2C you made that assumption wrongly and incorrectly accused Baggers and myself.

I said it was a condition he had been playing with for years at least and in my opinion the timing is at best lucrative so I remain cynical!

Does he care about us, you bet he does! What the general public think of him determines the price his sponsors are prepared to pay for his name! His name plunged in value faster than the stock market this week, and his PR people know it! I think he needed the surgery now more to save face with sponsors than to improve his game or health!

But as I said, Tomic should be cut loose as a lost cause, no more public money for him. The Special Ks are already showing more than Tomic has offered in total so far!

PS: If you scan through the media you will find a number of true champions of the past raising the same doubts. It is valid to remain a skeptic based on his past!

Listen to thjs spin. It's elective surgery now. Haha! You're a first class knocker, and now proven wrong once again bagging an injured bloke you can't admit it...weak! You called him soft and he was injured now  admit you were wrong...yet again! Otherwise you'll never get any respect.

Reply #109
The silly thing is he has far more potential than the Scud. He has the ability to win points from his ground strokes and not rely on his power serve. He just needs to work harder than he has before and stay out of trouble. Start winning more often and appear to be the good guy like Federer and Djokovic and the media will get off his case. So will his fans. He has to decide things need to change first.

Joker was the same as a young bloke, it wasn't until he felt the sting of the media and the wrath of sponsors that he turned it all around. If the public give in to Tomic excuses he will make them his whole career and never see real success, some of the older tennis greats are making this very point, he needs to accept that to be good or even great you have to find ways to compete when things are not in your favor.

I think Tomic has been mis-managed by tennis in Australia, I doubt he will see much success until he leaves for foreign shores!

The Scud analogy is very good, I bet the Scud is now wishing he had spent less time buying sports cars and more time training!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
Listen to thjs spin. It's elective surgery now. Haha! You're a first class knocker, and now proven wrong once again bagging an injured bloke you can't admit it...weak! You called him soft and he was injured now  admit you were wrong...yet again! Otherwise you'll never get any respect.

At least Tomic's PR people can take heart in the knowledge that they have worked their magic on at least one person!  ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #111
...and those PR people were working their craft rather nicely with vison of the knob on the teev with scans in hand and that resigned and somewhat forlorn expression on his swede. Contrived - deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.

(ever seen any other sports person examining their x-ray? - never seen an AFL player fishing for sympathy by looking at something that he wouldn't really understand, besides, the surgeon would have explained everything to him inside...)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #112
Where did he find these doctors who perform surgery on people who don't need it? Fully disclosed on TV no less?

I know, he wasn't actually in a hospital. It was all set up in a TV studio... the same one the moon landing was shot in. If you look closely, his doctor is actually Nick Riviera. Good choice as he comes cheap:

Reply #113
 ;D
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #114
Where did he find these doctors who perform surgery on people who don't need it? Fully disclosed on TV no less?

Again IOT, nobody stated that he did not have a condition that could be corrected by elective surgery, but lets not turn a voluntary procedure into urgent medical condition! FAI is a condition takes decades to develop and is not made worse by exercise or physical stress.

So that appears to me to leave two Tomic camp scenarios;

1/ They only just found it while looking at something else as they reported in the press. That means he was playing all his career with it without knowledge or problems.

2/ Or they have known about it for a long time, and have only now decided to have the work done, which is to say the least convenient!

Both scenarios raise equally valid questions about the validity of the announcements.

As for that TV skit I firmly agree with Baggers, FFS what a stunt! If the kid doesn't want to play Davis Cup again just say so and wear the financial consequences, don't blame a MRI or X-Ray! He can go off and have his "elective surgery" and nobody will gives a feck!

As for the behavior of fans, I hear little from the defenders of Bernard about the public treatment of his little sister. I assume this means they think she doesn't need or deserve protection, why isn't she a good enough player? That crowd behavior was blatant bullying and should be widely labeled a disgrace.

I feel sorry for his little sister, but I feel disdain for Bernard, his reputation precedes him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #115

Again IOT, nobody stated that he did not have a condition that could be corrected by elective surgery, but lets not turn a voluntary procedure into urgent medical condition! FAI is a condition takes decades to develop and is not made worse by exercise or physical stress.

So that appears to me to leave two Tomic camp scenarios;

1/ They only just found it while looking at something else as they reported in the press. That means he was playing all his career with it without knowledge or problems.

2/ Or they have known about it for a long time, and have only now decided to have the work done, which is to say the least convenient!

Both scenarios raise equally valid questions about the validity of the announcements.

As for that TV skit I firmly agree with Baggers, FFS what a stunt! If the kid doesn't want to play Davis Cup again just say so and wear the financial consequences, don't blame a MRI or X-Ray! He can go off and have his "elective surgery" and nobody will gives a feck!

As for the behavior of fans, I hear little from the defenders of Bernard about the public treatment of his little sister. I assume this means they think she doesn't need or deserve protection, why isn't she a good enough player? That crowd behavior was blatant bullying and should be widely labeled a disgrace.

I feel sorry for his little sister, but I feel disdain for Bernard, his reputation precedes him!

I call BS to your scenarios in Bold.

Lets say for arguments sake that it is FAI.

http://www.hipfai.com/

From the link above, FAI is common in:

"FAI is associated with cartilage damage, labral tears, early hip arthritis, hyperlaxity, sports hernias, and low back pain.

FAI is common in high level athletes, but also occurs in active individuals."

Diagnosis:
The diagnosis can be straightforward or a diagnosis of exclusion.  Most patients can be diagnosed with a good history, physical exam, and plain x-ray films.  A patient’s history will generally involve complaints of hip pain (front, side, or back) and loss of hip motion.  The physical exam will generally confirm the patient’s history and eliminate other causes of hip pain.  The plain x-ray films are used to determine the shape of the ball and socket as well as assess the amount of joint space in the hip.  Less joint space is generally associated with more arthritis.

Often an MRI of the hip is used to confirm a labral tear or damage to the joint surface.  The MRI is most helpful in eliminating certain causes of non FAI hip pain including avascular necrosis (dead bone) and tumors. A normal MRI does not preclude cartilage injury, labral tears, or FAI.

This is consistent to his post match press conference in which Tomic advised he was taking pain killers for the condition which started bothering him during the Davis Cup in Perth only a couple of weeks earlier.  Like OP in Houlihan (undiagnosed for YEARS) how do we know what he thought was normal was just an undiagnosed condition?

What other diagnosis can be confused with FAI:

Groin Pull (Adductor Strain)

Why did he pull out again?  Oh thats right a grade one strain in the Groin...  Perhaps it is FAI and they were not sure.

With what activities is FAI associated?

Tennis

Pretty much any requiring twisting and movement, but given its listed and this is his sport, its worthwhile noting that down.

Why does it occur?:

No one knows if FAI is a condition that begins at birth (congenital and genetic association) or develops during periods of growth (acquired).  It is likely a combination of one’s genetics and environment.

How did I get it?

Some experts believe that significant athletic activity before skeletal maturity increases the risk of FAI, but no one truly knows.

Bernard Tomic turned 21 last year.  Has been a "proffesional for just on about 3-4 years, and its entirely plausible that this condition developed during his final growing stages.

The last part worth addressing:

What are my treatment options?
Nonoperative management of FAI is possible; however, it involves a change in lifestyle from active to less active and a commitment to maintaining hip strength. Nonoperative management will not change the underlying abnormal hip biomechanics of FAI and may contribute to further hip degeneration..

Didnt you say this?  nobody stated that he did not have a condition that could be corrected by elective surgery, but lets not turn a voluntary procedure into urgent medical condition! FAI is a condition takes decades to develop and is not made worse by exercise or physical stress.  The link I have quoted indicates that the situation is a little more serious than you understand.  That's okay we are all exploring things together here.

Operative management of FAI can be addressed via hip arthroscopy or open surgery.  In hip arthroscopy, the hip is distracted and an arthroscope is used to make an assessment of the hip joint and treat damage that is found through two to four 1 cm incisions.  Often, all of the components of FAI such as the labral tear, damaged cartilage, and friction between the ball and socket can be treated through the arthroscope.  Repair of a torn labrum as well as stimulating new cartilage growth (microfracture) are often possible with the arthroscopic approach.  A hip arthroscopy involving labral debridement (no repair) and no bony decompression usually takes less than one hour.  A hip arthroscopy involving labral/cartilage repair and FAI decompression may take between two and four hours, depending on the amount of work performed. Care must be taken to avoid damage to the hip's blood supply (the retinacular vessels) during the osteoplasty procedure.

The open surgical hip dislocation involves an incision (approximately 6 to 10 inches), an osteotomy or bone cutting of the upper thigh bone, and dislocation of the ball from the socket exposing all parts of the joint.  This exposure allows treatment of labral tears and abnormal contact between the ball and socket while protecting the blood supply to the hip.  The open approach can typically be done in a few hours.  The open approach is not generally recommended in older patients, in patients with significant hip degeneration, or in patients with significant athletic/activity demands..

Recovery time from most arthroscopic FAI surgical procedures is about 3 to 4 months to full, unrestricted activity.  Your postoperative activity level will depend on your surgeon’s recommendation, the type of surgery performed, and the condition of the hip joint at the time of surgery. Revision FAI surgery may involve a significantly longer recovery.

Looks like this link explains the condition in a way that suits what we are seeing both privately and publically from Bernard.  It explains everything, and makes the whole scenario entirely plausible.

From what I can see, he is better off having this surgery now, so at worst he can participate in the US open in August, and if he is lucky and the damage is only minor he might even make it back in time for the French open in May and/or Wimbledon in June.  Managing this condition all season is likely to result in more of what we saw at the Australian open (early finishing in matches) and if he waits too long, then you can write off his entire year in terms of the major tournaments as well as adding anything to his game.  He will effectively tread water as the world ranked number 50 player at best.  This is no different to a player electing to have surgery after round 1 in order to be ready for the second half of the season, rather than managing an injury through an entire year just to not be able to play come the business end of the season.

Sorry LP, but it looks like the facts dont help you in this argument at all.  You wont hear anyone apologising to Bernie.  Not even on a sports forum, but every single media person who has criticised him should be ashamed of themselves.  They would have preffered he stood there and got dismantled by Nadal.  Perhaps that was going to be more worth while because at least he might have avoided being called a pea heart, but the competitor in him might have made him push himself and cause further damage to whatever groin injury they first thought he was managing.

In any case, only he knows how it feels, and only he and his doctors know what is the right course of action.  Perhaps he should have just copped it silly from Nadal.  Perhaps not.

Paul Hewson

Reply #116
Can't argue with any of that.....though I'm sure he'll find a way! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #117
Yep. I'm not a Tomic fan in the slightest, in fact I can't stand him. But the crap being flung around about him pulling out is ridiculous. Some people have a certain view and are unable to be objective.

He was injured. Pure and simple.

Reply #118
Sorry LP, but it looks like the facts dont help you in this argument at all.  You wont hear anyone apologising to Bernie.  Not even on a sports forum, but every single media person who has criticised him should be ashamed of themselves.

Rubbish.

Your "facts" are drawn from the a website run by a corporation that profits from IP related to the diagnosis of FAI. It is in their interest to tell you that all roads lead to FAI. Consulting that website is like asking Maurice Blackburn Compensation Lawyers for an unbiased opinion on an industrial accident.

If you are going to quote websites go back and do your homework from a valid source like AAOS (American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons.) If you had you would have found that not only is FAI at best a questionable diagnosis, many Orthos believe the condition does not even exist, but also that there is no evidence to support that if it does exist that it is made worse by physical activity. Points that are conveniently missing from the website you offered.

Secondly, the claim of FAI as quoted is coming from the Tomic camp not any accusation anyone has made. It was also Tomic's camp that claimed the diagnosis was only made after they looked for the groin tear! So if my discussing Tomic's alleged FAI is BS then the BS is coming from Tomic himself!

If you cannot see the inconsistencies in their reported statements it is not my problem.

Feck me a sports person with a sore hip, so much bad luck for one person, he must be jinxed! Good luck to him, making a living in a career that requires him to be pushed to his physical limits with allegedly $30K just for a few minutes work.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #119
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00571

You asked, and you shall receive LP.

Femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) is a condition where the bones of the hip are abnormally shaped. Because they do not fit together perfectly, the hip bones rub against each other and cause damage to the joint.

So, once you start having this, according to you, it wont get worse?  Bone on bone rubbing together due to being irregularly shaped, and you are going to state that the condition cannot worsen?

How FAI Progresses

It is not known how many people may have FAI. Some people may live long, active lives with FAI and never have problems. When symptoms develop, however, it usually indicates that there is damage to the cartilage or labrum and the disease is likely to progress. Symptoms may include pain, stiffness, and limping.

In FAI, bone spurs develop around the femoral head and/or along the acetabulum. The bone overgrowth causes the hip bones to hit against each other, rather than to move smoothly. Over time, this can result in the tearing of the labrum and breakdown of articular cartilage (osteoarthritis).

Looks like the place you asked me to research backs up the other web page's assertion that once you start suffering from this condition its likely to get worse.

Cause:

FAI occurs because the hip bones do not form normally during the childhood growing years. It is the deformity of a cam bone spur, pincer bone spur, or both, that leads to joint damage and pain. When the hip bones are shaped abnormally, there is little that can be done to prevent FAI.

Because athletically active people may work the hip joint more vigorously, they may begin to experience pain earlier than those who are less active. However, exercise does not cause FAI.

So in people who have the condition exercise will mean pain earlier.  Perhaps this would be highlighted most in a 21 year old proffesional athlete.  You would think so anyway.  You are looked at one line, that exercise does not cause FAI and using it to condemn Bernard.  Fair enough I suppose.  After all, he is just trying to save face after having a regulation groin strain and is having an op to keep up appearances.  In fact, he isnt even having an op, he is just saying he is to suit this agenda...

Treatment
Nonsurgical Treatment

Activity changes. Your doctor may first recommend simply changing your daily routine and avoiding activities that cause symptoms.

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications. Drugs like ibuprofen can be provided in a prescription-strength form to help reduce pain and inflammation.

Physical therapy. Specific exercises can improve the range of motion in your hip and strengthen the muscles that support the joint. This can relieve some stress on the injured labrum or cartilage.
Surgical Treatment

If tests show joint damage caused by FAI and your pain is not relieved by nonsurgical treatment, your doctor may recommend surgery.

Many FAI problems can be treated with arthroscopic surgery. Arthroscopic procedures are done with small incisions and thin instruments. The surgeon uses a small camera, called an arthroscope, to view inside the hip.

During arthroscopy, your doctor can repair or clean out any damage to the labrum and articular cartilage. He or she can correct the FAI by trimming the bony rim of the acetabulum and also shaving down the bump on the femoral head. Some severe cases may require an open operation with a larger incision to accomplish this.

Long-Term Outcomes

Surgery can successfully reduce symptoms caused by impingement. Correcting the impingement can prevent future damage to the hip joint. However, not all of the damage can be completely fixed by surgery, especially if treatment has been put off and the damage is severe. It is possible that more problems may develop in the future.

While there is a small chance that surgery might not help, it is currently the best way to treat painful FAI.

That last bolded bit indicates that putting it off might be the worst situation possible, and would thoroughly explain why he is having surgery to correct a regulation groin strain that would be at worst a 3 week recovery for any condition, and also fits why he is having the surgery ASAP.

This will bring his Tennis career to a premature end, and will prevent him reaching the heights that he might have been able to achieve.

It also indicates that his surgery is anything but being pea hearted.

Paul Hewson