Skip to main content
Topic: 2014 Australian Open  (Read 64245 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2014 Australian Open

Reply #165
The worst part about having Rafa win this slam will be having to put up with that stupid grin. 

Also what pisses me off about tennis is how easily amused the crowds are...players could probably say they're declaring nuclear war on our country and the crowd would still end up in hysterics.

I have never been a fan of Nadal, but I can't say anything against him either. If he wins which he will, he deserves it because he has done the hard work to get there. He actually began as a right hander, and his uncle converted him at an early age, as their are less left handers, so they are harder to beat. I think he still eats and writes with his right hand. You can see he will go past 17 slams in the next year, and probably get to 25 or even 30 by the time he pulls the pin. He will be the all time greatest by a country mile. Like Bradman with test cricket with the bat. Especially being untouchable in the French Open. Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga and Berdych need to step up and trouble him. Federer won't.

Interesting enough I thought all the favourites could go all the way, but in the womens games they all fell over.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #166
The worst part about having Rafa win this slam will be having to put up with that stupid grin. 

Also what pisses me off about tennis is how easily amused the crowds are...players could probably say they're declaring nuclear war on our country and the crowd would still end up in hysterics.

I have never been a fan of Nadal, but I can't say anything against him either. If he wins which he will, he deserves it because he has done the hard work to get there. He actually began as a right hander, and his uncle converted him at an early age, as their are less left handers, so they are harder to beat. I think he still eats and writes with his right hand. You can see he will go past 17 slams in the next year, and probably get to 25 or even 30 by the time he pulls the pin. He will be the all time greatest by a country mile. Like Bradman with test cricket with the bat. Especially being untouchable in the French Open. Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga and Berdych need to step up and trouble him. Federer won't.

Interesting enough I thought all the favourites could go all the way, but in the womens games they all fell over.

And who said certitude is bunk!  :(
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #167
I've said it often enough, Fed played "average Joes" until the later part of his career when Rafa, Novak and Murray hit their stride. I've never boarded the Fed Express, and I never will. Way too smug and arrogant for my liking. Technically brilliant (and better than Nadal), but he hasn't (until now) done anything beyond his comfort zone to deal with Rafa. Rafa has played the same tactics against him for years, and I think Fed just believed that his superior skill would eventually get the job done. And he has little ticker. Rapidly becoming a "lifestyle" tennis player.

He is still top 10, and still has the measure of pretty much everyone on the tour except Rafa and maybe Novak. He won't win another major, but he is still very competitive and pretty fit. I don't believe he should retire.

Rafa has been my favourite player for years, and he embodies everything I wish our Carlton players had.

Reply #168
Not worth a response that tripe PaulP.

Anyway, Stan taking it to Rafa (thus far).....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #169

But you just responded.  :))

Stan playing exceptionally well. Hope he wins. 

Just a passing thought and not necessarily my thoughts - does anyone here think Federer has been complacent over the years because there hasn't been another stand-out swiss player to create a bit of a national (healthy and friendly) rivalry? This is the first time in 13 years that he isn't the number one swiss player. Thoughts?

Reply #170
Wawrinka could have completely finished this in 3 sets, yet he has backed off the throttle and looks like Rafa will take the third serving softer than a girl with his back issues. Just finish him already !!!

Reply #171

Oh really ?

I said Fed is technically brilliant and a great player.

Can you name any of his regular opponents prior to, say 2008-2009 who could be regarded as great ? Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, Ivanišević............. They all had their 15 minutes (or in some cases 5), but how great are they ? I understand that Fed can't help who is on the other side of the net.

Rafa with a busted back takes a set off Stan. We need this guy at CFC.

Reply #172
I've said it often enough, Fed played "average Joes" until the later part of his career when Rafa, Novak and Murray hit their stride. I've never boarded the Fed Express, and I never will. Way too smug and arrogant for my liking. Technically brilliant (and better than Nadal), but he hasn't (until now) done anything beyond his comfort zone to deal with Rafa. Rafa has played the same tactics against him for years, and I think Fed just believed that his superior skill would eventually get the job done. And he has little ticker. Rapidly becoming a "lifestyle" tennis player.

He is still top 10, and still has the measure of pretty much everyone on the tour except Rafa and maybe Novak. He won't win another major, but he is still very competitive and pretty fit. I don't believe he should retire.

Rafa has been my favourite player for years, and he embodies everything I wish our Carlton players had.

+1

Im with you there, and echo your sentiments.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #173
As Stan might say Mants, don't count your chickens....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #174

+1

Im with you there, and echo your sentiments.

Thanks Thry.

Stan the Man almost became Shirl the Girl - luckily he figured out his opponent couldn't serve, couldn't run and couldn't really bend his back.

Oh and one more thing. A comparison of tonight's performance by Rafa and Tomic's performance a couple of weeks back is all that is required to know that whilst Tomic has talent, and might skirt around the top 50 / top 20, he will NEVER amount to anything resembling greatness.  Pea heart.

Reply #175
As Stan might say Mants, don't count your chickens....

He has the tools to be the best. Don't take anything away from him in this game. In fact when Nadal was smashing his serves and his ground strokes, Stan had his measure. It all turned sour when the game style changed. Staminal has what it takes in my opinion. He had little trouble against Djokovic, and wasn't worried against Nadal for a set and a half. He is the best Swiss player, and Federer is welcome to be his apprentice. I really like this guy. Like his anger. Like his style. Love his power. Love his running ability for a big unit and yes he does have a six pack. He just needs more time to take a few more majors even though he isn't a young kid. Bad luck Nadal. You are the best, but you better stay on your toes. Get well soon. I don't hate you, I just like others better. ;)

Stan is the man.

Reply #176
Credit where it's due. Stan played a terrific tournament, and quite possibly has room for further improvement. 

Reply #177
I hope Tomic was watching how Raf dealt with pain  >:D

Couple of class acts on centre court last night. Stan punching himself in the side of the head was, mmm, interesting viewing!

Okay, tennis gone, test and one-day cricket gone... the real stuff grows nearer :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #178
Felt sorry for Rafa having to play through that pain, but at the same time I was glad we didn't have to put up with the prick smiling like a f-wit and biting the trophy like he usually does. 

STAN THE MAN.

Reply #179
Pain isn't a black and white things. We have no idea what each player was going through.