Skip to main content
Topic: OPINION : Our Next Premiership - Without Judd & Co ?? (Read 36566 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: OPINION : Our Next Premiership - Without Judd & Co ??

Reply #60
Welcome Keogh. I have read some of your material on TC. As far as I am concerned opinions are great and people can chose to agree or choose not to. Just reminding you that my opinions are always correct, so if you choose to not agree with me you choose to accept you are in the wrong.  ;D ;)

I agree with some of your thoughts about the Judd deal. If things were different we would be in a better way in terms of Key forwards. However Judd was a marketing deal that would have brought many more members than not having him around. The old crystal ball is always an issue. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #61
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but, in my opinion, anyone who thinks the Judd deal wasn't good for Carlton has rocks in their head.  The benefits of having the ultimate professional footballer at our club will continue long after he retires.

As for winning a flag, Malthouse was employed to do just that so, if we don't win one this season, it will be 2015.

Yes, we may be missing a KPP or two on last season's form but, if the stars align, we could have several in form KPPs vying for a spot in the 22.

As others have pointed out, the Swans weren't even contenders in 2005.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #62
I hope to buggery that my view of another crappy season is proven false. But each year I seem to get pretty close to the pin of how our year will go. As we all know, I don't rate us at all again this year. Time to be proven wrong for once!!  ;D

Reply #63
As for winning a flag, Malthouse was employed to do just that so, if we don't win one this season, it will be 2015.

Was that a clause put into his contract by the AFL?  ;D

Reply #64

Was that a clause put in by the AFL?  ;D

You'll find those clauses written into the contracts of Guy McKenna and Leon Cameron.  ;D

Reply #65
Unfortunately I think Malthouse has found himself cleaning up a mess, before we go anywhere. My gut feel is he didn't invisage us being this far off the pace. This year will tell us heaps, as we basically stood still after that finals loss to the Eagles and just expected things to happen rather than doing something about it.

I like your optimism DJC, but although I think we'll improve this year I don't think it will be by much.

Reply #66
Unfortunately I think Malthouse has found himself cleaning up a mess, before we go anywhere.

Yes, why does no one care that nobody (club wise) could spot that our side was no good. What does that say about our checks and balances? Surely Ratten wasn't that good at covering up?

My gut feel is he didn't invisage us being this far off the pace.

I don't really get this argument that he was this ignorant of our list. I know he was busy selling books and everything but surely we can expect a guy we are paying a million bucks a year to have as much knowledge of the players as we do?

Reply #67
Well, only the 2014 season can judge whether Murphy will garner Selwood like respect....?

Agree, he has every opportunity to prove to the world he can be a great captain. The team could go either way IMO and much of the responsibility of which direction it takes will fall at the feet of Murph.

Yes p

Reply #68
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but, in my opinion, anyone who thinks the Judd deal wasn't good for Carlton has rocks in their head.  The benefits of having the ultimate professional footballer at our club will continue long after he retires.

Yes, we may be missing a KPP or two on last season's form but, if the stars align, we could have several in form KPPs vying for a spot in the 22.

Would you say the same thing if we had Dangerfield, Scott Thompson and Josh Kennedy all now at their peak or a great player in potentially his last season and Armfield. I know what I would choose. It comes down to your recruiters having more hits than misses. These deals are a thing of the past.

Reply #69
Unfortunately I think Malthouse has found himself cleaning up a mess, before we go anywhere.

Yes, why does no one care that nobody (club wise) could spot that our side was no good. What does that say about our checks and balances? Surely Ratten wasn't that good at covering up?

My gut feel is he didn't invisage us being this far off the pace.

I don't really get this argument that he was this ignorant of our list. I know he was busy selling books and everything but surely we can expect a guy we are paying a million bucks a year to have as much knowledge of the players as we do?

Absolutely we should expect that, what I was trying to say was I suppose he wasn't sure of the intangibles i.e player mentalities, drive, personalties, leadership etc. The list I hope he would have had a good handle on but its the other things, I mean last year he mentioned more than once that the group was largely introverted or didn't know what it took to win consistantly, which is obvious as we never have been on a run of more than 4 or 5 wins in the last few years. This has been a point of concern for me with our recruiters/list management, you need not only to balance the size and positions of players on your list but the personalities and mentalities.

Reply #70
The biggest fk up was giving a player we already had in Kennedy instead of giving the Eagles the #1 pick Kreuzer. Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing but at the same time our moronic recruiters had Kreuzer as the next big thing, an athletic freak. I always scratched my head at the comments after we got him when our recruiters actually said that Nic Nat was the next big thing and would have easily been taken before Kreuzer had he been available. So Kreuzer was in fact not the next big thing at all.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #71

Would you say the same thing if we had Dangerfield, Scott Thompson and Josh Kennedy all now at their peak or a great player in potentially his last season and Armfield. I know what I would choose. It comes down to your recruiters having more hits than misses. These deals are a thing of the past.

Yes, I agree that free agency means that it is unlikely that teams will get involved in trading for elite players.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #72
I mean last year he mentioned more than once that the group was largely introverted or didn't know what it took to win consistantly

Mick is a political animal. Fair enough, he wouldn't have lasted all this time if he wasn't. His comments about Carlton were a nice asterisks, a get out clause.

Reply #73
Its all hindsight.

Judd brought more than just his own ability.  It has been mentioned the Juddite nature of the entire side, and it was public knowledge that our boys were unproffessional thanks the influences around them.

I would be willing to bet, that the majority of the group started lifting their game month by month since Judd arrived where before that, there was little improvement to be had in the group.

No amount of Dangerfields, Kennedy's or anything would have fixed that, as Nick Stevens ruled the roost, with Fevola just behind him.  They were the picture of everything that was culturally wrong about our football team, and the culture that Judd will have helped instill in our playing group will be one that lasts long after he is finished playing footy.

We dont know how much of this would have changed without him at the club, nor whether or not we would have been able to hang onto the blokes that have renewed their contracts since he arrived.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #74
Its all hindsight.

Judd brought more than just his own ability.  It has been mentioned the Juddite nature of the entire side, and it was public knowledge that our boys were unproffessional thanks the influences around them.

I would be willing to bet, that the majority of the group started lifting their game month by month since Judd arrived where before that, there was little improvement to be had in the group.

No amount of Dangerfields, Kennedy's or anything would have fixed that, as Nick Stevens ruled the roost, with Fevola just behind him.  They were the picture of everything that was culturally wrong about our football team, and the culture that Judd will have helped instill in our playing group will be one that lasts long after he is finished playing footy.

We dont know how much of this would have changed without him at the club, nor whether or not we would have been able to hang onto the blokes that have renewed their contracts since he arrived.

Disagree if the culture of the place was better then there is no need to have the best player coming to the club to fix the problem.