Skip to main content
Topic: Mick Malthouse admits his love for Dale Thomas - the Age (Read 7564 times) previous topic - next topic

Mick Malthouse admits his love for Dale Thomas - the Age

Mick always manages to come up with the unexpected and I certainly wasn't expecting him to announce his love of Daisy  :o

"'Daisy' is a wonderful kid, I really enjoy his company. He is one of those kids, I have two sons and two daughters, so I am not about to say I love him as a son - but I do love him as a son," Malthouse said.

"He is just a beauty. He brings so much to a football club. I try hard to not be biased and not show it but, at the end of the day, the more you avoid it the more it becomes obvious.

"I treat every player the way I see them. I know very well the chemistry mixes with some people. Some just went to get on and be professional footballers and just move on, it doesn't matter who coaches them. Others are concerned about who coaches them, others like that personal touch.

"I get on very well with Daisy - I am here to admit it and he is going to be a great bonus for our club."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mick-malthouse-admits-his-unabashed-admiration-for-dale-thomas-20140205-320vp.html#ixzz2sQ8hoy6k

His comments about the leadership group are interesting:

Speaking on FIVEaa radio, Malthouse has urged team leaders Marc Murphy, Michael Jamison, Kade Simpson and Andrew Carrazzo to continue their development, urging them to not worry about being "loved" by their teammates.

The eight-man leadership group also includes Bryce Gibbs, Lachie Henderson, Brock McLean and Andrew Walker.

"What we need, I am the first to say it, is we want players to stand up. We have a young, fresh group of leaders led by Marc Murphy," he said.

"I reckon Marc Murphy, Simpson, Carrazzo and Jamison, they are captain, vice-captains and deputy vice captains, they are all strong characters, they will lead and will get better, particularly Marc Murphy who is only a young man."

Malthouse had felt former skipper Chris Judd had been "overburdened" in the role but, with a more confident Murphy moving into his second year in the job, he has noticed a greater contribution from the leadership group.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mick-malthouse-admits-his-unabashed-admiration-for-dale-thomas-20140205-320vp.html#ixzz2sQ9ph4L0

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Mick Malthouse admits his love for Dale Thomas - the Age

Reply #1
Oh well, we can put the rubbish idea that he doesn't play favourites behind us now. Don't care about love or whatever, just as long as we get some results.

Daisy love!!

Reply #2
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mick-malthouse-admits-his-unabashed-admiration-for-dale-thomas-20140205-320vp.html

Carlton coach Mick Malthouse says he loves Dale Thomas "as a son" but insists the former Magpie will not be given preferential treatment.
The pair has had a close relationship since Collingwood drafted Thomas in 2005 when Malthouse was coach of the Magpies. Thomas, for instance, was visibly upset in the dressingroom after the losing 2011 grand final against Geelong in what was to be Malthouse's last match as coach of the club.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mick-malthouse-admits-his-unabashed-admiration-for-dale-thomas-20140205-320vp.html#ixzz2sQLWRNWQ
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Re: Daisy love!!

Reply #3
Speaking on FIVEaa radio, Malthouse has urged team leaders Marc Murphy, Michael Jamison, Kade Simpson and Andrew Carrazzo to continue their development, urging them to not worry about being "loved" by their teammates.

The eight-man leadership group also includes Bryce Gibbs, Lachie Henderson, Brock McLean and Andrew Walker.

"What we need, I am the first to say it, is we want players to stand up. We have a young, fresh group of leaders led by Marc Murphy," he said.

"I reckon Marc Murphy, Simpson, Carrazzo and Jamison, they are captain, vice-captains and deputy vice captains, they are all strong characters, they will lead and will get better, particularly Marc Murphy who is only a young man."

Malthouse had felt former skipper Chris Judd had been "overburdened" in the role but, with a more confident Murphy moving into his second year in the job, he has noticed a greater contribution from the leadership group.

"I have noticed all of our leaders grow with that responsibility. I think the next step is - don't worry about being loved, be respected," Malthouse said.

"I have seen some great players through my time have that philosophy and they are highly respected and they are hard.

"They are very, very hard men and they get the best out of their teammates around them. I think we are leaning close to that."

Malthouse endorsed the AFL's decision to experiment in round five with player names printed on the back of their jumpers but says it would be wise to permanently have numbers on the front and back.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mick-malthouse-admits-his-unabashed-admiration-for-dale-thomas-20140205-320vp.html#ixzz2sQLz3yXA
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #4

Not in footballing terms he's not.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #5

Top post Carrot !!   ::)
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #6

He is in terms of AFL captains, although there are a few younger captains this season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
He's 27 this year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
I think the next step is - don't worry about being loved, be respected," Malthouse said.

"I have seen some great players through my time have that philosophy and they are highly respected and they are hard.

"They are very, very hard men and they get the best out of their teammates around them. I think we are leaning close to that."

I've been trying to instil the same philosophy into my crew. Fortunately the recent resignation of one staff member has lead to the appointment of someone who is on the same page.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #9
I think the next step is - don't worry about being loved, be respected," Malthouse said.

I've been trying to instil the same philosophy into my crew. Fortunately the recent resignation of one staff member has lead to the appointment of someone who is on the same page.

Do you love him as a son?

Reply #10

Do you love him as a son?

Now, LR, I bet that whatever sports you played your coaches loved you as a son? :P
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #11
Oh well, we can put the rubbish idea that he doesn't play favourites behind us now. Don't care about love or whatever, just as long as we get some results.

Every coach has favourites.  We would be talking BS if we didnt think that was true, and they will also get away with more in terms of a bit of leniency, the thing is, they wont need it if the coach sets a benchmark that all players need to meet.  He will come down on those not meeting it equally be they favourite or not.

Malthouse has already admitted as much publically when he was at Collingwood.  He stated, that "you have to treat some of your stars a little differently".

I would be willing to bet the family house on the fact that the players he would have as favourites are coincidentally probably the ones that are doing more of the right things more frequently.  I would be concerned if his favourties included blokes not willing to pull their weight.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
@Thry, no argument from me and I don't think it's anything but human nature or that it is a bad thing.

Reply #13
I have to admit its still a little weird for me thinking of Thomas as a navy blue, a screamer in the goal square should change that quickly!

Reply #14
Isn't all this just doing what they do now... all clubs.
They train all players differently due to age, injuries etc
So they would talk to all players differently, each player reacts differently.
This is the new world we live in... apparently ::)
This is Gen Y for you. :o
2024... Moir of the same to come