Skip to main content
Topic: R1 Carlton vs Power After-match Aftermath (Read 79908 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R1 Carlton vs Power After-match Aftermath

Reply #270
@FB77

Agree about Cripps totally. Robbo and Bell didn't show anything that suggested they are improving AFAIC so we must look for other options pronto. Cripps looks like he's well worth a run for starters.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #271
Haven't read any of this thread, so sorry if I repeat!

I don't know what Mick told the boys b4 the game, but our 1st qtr was a beauty !!!
But our boys seem to have short memories. the message was only partially followed in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs and completely forgotten in the 4th !!!

I reckon that collectively our boys are the type that need a rocket up them every qtr, just to keep them on their toes and motivated. Back off from them and they retreat back into their shells very very quickly.

Just a thought I had anyway.

Can't really ride on emotion like that. First, it's covering up bigger problems and eventually it will start to wear off. Need something more substantial than the rocket evey quarter. Every now and again, okay.

I agree that this approach would be unsustainable. But (to me anyway) it says something about our players that they seem to need this sort of approach to keep them motivated.

What upset me the most about the loss was that we just did not show any heart in the way we down in the final qtr. IMO a team with any pride at all would not let that kind of qtr happen to them, at least not for a whole qtr. Our boys in Navy Blue seem to let it(large lapses) happen to them all too often, for my liking anyway.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #272
Amers we started very strongly in 3 of the 4 finals we played in under Ratts, finding the right intensity has never been our issue, maintaining it is the problem.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #273
Amers we started very strongly in 3 of the 4 finals we played in under Ratts, finding the right intensity has never been our issue, maintaining it is the problem.

Still talking about Ratts is living somewhat in the past. Time to move on.

The only 'past' that is relevant is that part of our past where we were ruthless in getting the very best people into the positions of most influence at the club. Getting Swann, then Pratty into the place was consistent with that attitude, as was targetting MM or Roos as the replacement for Ratts. But gee it falls away rapidly after that...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #274

Ok then.

Amers in our finals in 2009,2010 and 2011 we started every one bar one of those games with a flurry of goals. Pretty sure vs Lions in 2009 it was 3 goals to zip, against the Eagles it was 4 goals to zip (Murphy missed a few sitters to make it 6) and against the scum we didn't kick straight but still led by a few goals quarter time. Starting quickly has never been an issue, maintaining it for 4 quarters is the problem. Or even a half now TBH.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #275

Ok then.

Amers in our finals in 2009,2010 and 2011 we started every one bar one of those games with a flurry of goals. Pretty sure vs Lions in 2009 it was 3 goals to zip, against the Eagles it was 4 goals to zip (Murphy missed a few sitters to make it 6) and against the scum we didn't kick straight but still led by a few goals quarter time. Starting quickly has never been an issue, maintaining it for 4 quarters is the problem. Or even a half now TBH.

LOL

Is it a fitness thing then or a concentration issue? Or something else? Either way, why hasn't it been addressed already?

Reply #276
I feel that when we are seriously challenged we take a backward step, both mentally and physically. Blokes like Robbo are left to do the hard stuff themselves and are put under more pressure and exposed for their weaknesses when in reality, if our prettier players stood up to the challenge we may be ok.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #277

Ok then.

LOL

Is it a fitness thing then or a concentration issue? Or something else? Either way, why hasn't it been addressed already?

Not wanting to run both ways ALL the game and probably getting lost in traffic and not wanting to man up someone elses man when the going gets tough.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #278
I feel that when we are seriously challenged we take a backward step, both mentally and physically. Blokes like Robbo are left to do the hard stuff themselves and are put under more pressure and exposed for their weaknesses when in reality, if our prettier players stood up to the challenge we may be ok.

This line of thinking is why we fall over.

If someone stood up we would be okay.

Rather than wondering where something is going to come from, we might be better off if people just did it themselves.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #280

So we have some 'pretty' players who are soft either physically and/or mentally ?!!

Maybe we could use a sponsor like Boral, who could provide a bit of concrete and help them harden up !!

Reply #281

So we have some 'pretty' players who are soft either physically and/or mentally ?!!

Maybe we could use a sponsor like Boral, who could provide a bit of concrete and help them harden up !!

Or they could just HTFU I guess....earn their money so to speak. Boy we have some overpaid players at Carlton.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #282

Or they could just HTFU I guess....earn their money so to speak. Boy we have some overpaid players at Carlton.

Carrots, does any of the above apply to the players who played against Richmond last september?

There have been a grand total of 2 games played between then. The farce of a final up in Sydney, and the game against Port last week.
Sydney were reigning premiers at the time, and Port would be favourite for top 4 on current form.

To make an accurate assessment on where we are at, we need more than 1 data point!

Reply #283
Yep and if we never give up again for the rest of the year I'll be happily proven wrong.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #284
Yep and if we never give up again for the rest of the year I'll be happily proven wrong.

What were your expectations for this season?

If you figured we were going to win the flag, then i feel sorry for you.
If you thought anything else, then surely you knew there would be some hiccups along the way. This is one them.