Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Season 8 - 2023 (Read 5959 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Season 8 - 2023

Reply #30
Interesting interview (Breanna Moody - Fox) circulating today.  That it was mentioned that players just left to play for other clubs, not career opportunities, was notable. The fact that the club was gutted by expansion is still swept under the carpet by the ivory tower dwellers.  One day it will all come out, WTF was going on?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #31
Interesting interview (Breanna Moody - Fox) circulating today.  That it was mentioned that players just left to play for other clubs, not career opportunities, was notable. The fact that the club was gutted by expansion is still swept under the carpet by the ivory tower dwellers.  One day it will all come out, WTF was going on?
AFLW is a shambles at AFL level and at Club level.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
AFLW is a shambles at AFL level and at Club level.

I heard Cameron Ling on the wireless earlier this week.  He said that he lives near the ground and often wanders down to watch the AFLW Cats train.  He is amazed at the growth in the professionalism of the players and the improved skills on display at training.

From what's coming out of our players, I suspect that our professionalism has improved considerably over last season.  Time will tell whether that's the case.

It seems that the AFLW playing group is largely focused on improving and being the best they can but the AFL, and some clubs, aren't really sure where they are heading.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33

She'd be pinpointing Prespakis and Gee with those comments, with an eye on the Hosking twins, Stevens, McEvoy i suspect. A few other names could be mentioned, but they're the main ones who left for no real reason.

Reply #34
She'd be pinpointing Prespakis and Gee with those comments, with an eye on the Hosking twins, Stevens, McEvoy i suspect. A few other names could be mentioned, but they're the main ones who left for no real reason.

There lies a lesson in there.

One player leaves for no reason.
When you have 6 leaving for "no reason" the reason is less about what they are going to and more about where they are going from IMHO. 

Ive only seen a mass exodus a few times from football clubs, and you can bet your bottom dollar it had little to do with coaches, players, relationships, and opportunities and more to do with the direction the club was taking the project and what players believed.

Sure some got some money and left, others went because they wanted to follow their mates, but you dont look elsewhere if you're happy where you are.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35
Fair dinkum, Melbourne looked good thrashing Collingwood. I can't see our girls doing that yet.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #36
A huge change for us this season is training during the day.  It's incredible to think that the girls had to train at night like local park footballers.

That change alone should make a significant difference to our performance.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37
There lies a lesson in there.

One player leaves for no reason.
When you have 6 leaving for "no reason" the reason is less about what they are going to and more about where they are going from IMHO. 

Ive only seen a mass exodus a few times from football clubs, and you can bet your bottom dollar it had little to do with coaches, players, relationships, and opportunities and more to do with the direction the club was taking the project and what players believed.

Sure some got some money and left, others went because they wanted to follow their mates, but you dont look elsewhere if you're happy where you are.

While six players leaving over a couple of years is hardly a "mass exodus", you can bet your bottom dollar that they were enticed away by more lucrative offers.  Take Lucy McEvoy for example, there's no way that she would up stakes and move to Sydney to play for "no reason".  If she had returned to Geelong, "no reason" or "lifestyle" might just cut the mustard.

Breann loves playing footy and loves the club, warts and all.  It seems to me that she hasn't taken too much notice of why some of her teammates have jumped ship.  The girls that have stayed - Darcy, Kez, Bre, Gab and Abbie - and the girls that are relative newcomers seem to be very tight and committed to the club.  I don't think that has changed all that much since last season.

Reply #38
While six players leaving over a couple of years is hardly a "mass exodus", you can bet your bottom dollar that they were enticed away by more lucrative offers.  Take Lucy McEvoy for example, there's no way that she would up stakes and move to Sydney to play for "no reason".  If she had returned to Geelong, "no reason" or "lifestyle" might just cut the mustard.

Breann loves playing footy and loves the club, warts and all.  It seems to me that she hasn't taken too much notice of why some of her teammates have jumped ship.  The girls that have stayed - Darcy, Kez, Bre, Gab and Abbie - and the girls that are relative newcomers seem to be very tight and committed to the club.  I don't think that has changed all that much since last season.

Not the point.  We've had a yearly departure of our better players because they don't want to be there.

Why?

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
FYI, here is a list of players who used to play for Carlton but lined up in opposition colours this round (or were injured in S.Hoskings case)

FB Plane Wilson
HB J. Hosking Davey Gay
C S.Hosking Egan B.Walker
HF Stevens Shierlaw Gee
FF Jones Harris
R Gibbs Prespakis Lucas-Rodd
INT: Brazzale Jakobsson Dalton Privitelli Kennedy

That is a full team of players who wanted out, or were deemed 'not good enough' or too much hassle.
Put our current team up against that team, and i'm pretty sure we lose.

Reply #40
Not the point.  We've had a yearly departure of our better players because they don't want to be there.

Why?

Our better players?

Why do we still have Kez, Darcy, Bre, Abbie, Mua, Gab, Mimi, Jess, etc, and why do we continue to attract quality players.

We’ve been screwed by the AFL’s haste to get the expansion clubs up to strength and the lure of $$$ thrown around by other clubs.

It would be interesting to see the results of a full on salary cap audit … but that’s not in the AFL’s interest.

Our players didn’t leave because they didn’t want to be there, most were lured away by offers we couldn’t match.

FYI, here is a list of players who used to play for Carlton but lined up in opposition colours this round (or were injured in S.Hoskings case)

FB Plane Wilson
HB J. Hosking Davey Gay
HF Stevens Shierlaw Gee
FF Jones Harris

That is a full team of players who wanted out, or were deemed 'not good enough' or too much hassle.

I’d have McEvoy in that squad … and I reckon we’d be more than competitive, particularly with our manic tackling and some of our injured players back in the team.

I can’t believe that Lucas-Rodd is still getting games, Gibbs never got close to her potential, Shierlaw is past it, the Hoskings are done, Walker never recaptured the form of her first season.  The better players in that squad left us for more lucrative offers.

Reply #41

FB Plane Wilson
HB J. Hosking Davey Gay
HF Stevens Shierlaw Gee
FF Jones Harris

Thanks Kruddler.  I don't see the point of arguing semantics about names leaving, when my perception of the situation is true, and we have had a good team of players elect to leave.

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
Interesting article from last year in which Mimi Hill shares her thoughts about players leaving and how it strengthened the playing group: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/it-is-hard-rising-star-mimi-hill-on-carlton-s-aflw-player-exodus-20220720-p5b304.html

The following observation by Marnie Vinall is pertinent:

Several clubs have been decimated by expansion in the AFLW’s past, which hasn’t meant they’ve been sent to the bottom of the ladder or been uncompetitive. Most notably, during the 2019-20 expansion periods, Brisbane lost 16 players in total, more than half their list, and then went on to win the 2021 premiership.

We got off lightly ...

Reply #43
I’d have McEvoy in that squad … and I reckon we’d be more than competitive, particularly with our manic tackling and some of our injured players back in the team.

I can’t believe that Lucas-Rodd is still getting games, Gibbs never got close to her potential, Shierlaw is past it, the Hoskings are done, Walker never recaptured the form of her first season.  The better players in that squad left us for more lucrative offers.

I had McEvoy in the squad, but played mix and match trying to get a good team together and she somehow got lost in the shuffle by accident. Definitely should be in there. But it strengthens the argument.

Lots of players 'are done' but are still better than players on our list.
They could be #20 or #30 on our list....but they are still better than players on our list.

Reply #44
Interesting article from last year in which Mimi Hill shares her thoughts about players leaving and how it strengthened the playing group: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/it-is-hard-rising-star-mimi-hill-on-carlton-s-aflw-player-exodus-20220720-p5b304.html

The following observation by Marnie Vinall is pertinent:

We got off lightly ...

Apples and oranges.
They were able to pick a state of origin side to start with, and include a few all-stars from elsewhere to begin.

Yes, they lost plenty of players (how many stars?) but they also have half a state to choose players from.....as well as cat b-type players from elsewhere for free.

How did we go last year? For all the spin doctoring attempted by Mimi Hill, we finished 14th/18th.
The only vic club who finished behind us (on equal points no less) was Hawthorn, captained by the Tilly "can't believe she is still getting a game" Lucas-Rodd.
So what does that tell you? A 'hack player' as captain was on a par with us. Wonder why? Player exodus perhaps?