Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 11: Pre Game Patter: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 28052 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 11: Pre Game Patter: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #90
Footage i saw (from a bar on level 2 at Etihad) he was doing zigzags!  :o

Are you sure that wasn't a product of what you were consuming in the bar?

I think you're right though - just not very fast zigzags :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #91
Are you sure that wasn't a product of what you were consuming in the bar?

I think you're right though - just not very fast zigzags :)

And hopefully not zigging when he should have been zagging?  :o
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #93
IN: Graham, Byrne

OUT: Murphy, Sumner

Emergencies: Jaksch, Phillips, Tutt
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #94
B: Zach Tuohy - Sam Rowe - Jacob Weitering
HB: Dale Thomas - Lachie Plowman - Simon White
C: Sam Docherty - Patrick Cripps - Ed Curnow
HF: Jed Lamb - Levi Casboult - Matthew Wright
F: Sam Kerridge - Andrew Walker - Andrejs Everitt
R: Matthew Kreuzer - Nick Graham - Bryce Gibbs

I: Ciaran Byrne - Daniel Gorringe - Kade Simpson - Dennis Armfield   

Emergencies - Andrew Phillips - Kristian Jaksch   - Jason Tutt

In: Byrne, Graham

Out: Marc Murphy (Ankle), Liam Sumner (foot)

Reply #95
Byrne's inclusion is a no-brainer and selecting Graham to replace Murphy wouldn't have required too much thought.

It's good to see that Gorringe has another chance to show what he can do.  I wasn't all that impressed with his pre-season form and he had a torrid time against Goldstein but I thought he showed a bit last week.  I don't think he will ever be a genuine ruck prospect but I like the idea of a 200cm midfielder  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #96
No surprises there.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #97
Carlton

B: Zach Tuohy, Sam Rowe, Jacob Weitering.
HB: Dale Thomas, Lachie Plowman, Simon White.
C: Sam Docherty, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow.
HF: Jed Lamb, Levi Casboult, Matthew Wright.
F: Sam Kerridge, Andrew Walker, Andrejs Everitt.
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Nick Graham, Bryce Gibbs.
Int: Ciaran Byrne, Daniel Gorringe, Kade Simpson, Dennis Armfield.

Emg: Andrew Phillips, Kristian Jaksch, Jason Tutt

I like the Emergencies. All 3. Phillips is fit: a big plus. Jaksch is getting close and Tutt is doing his best.
As for the team, I don't think it is perfect, by any means. Neither Walker nor Everitt have been able to play 2 good ones on the trot for quite a while. However, they were good last week, so maybe I'm just stuck with a dose of the Malthouses. :) I still see structural problems, but last week I was proved to be an idiot.

Brisbane Lions

B: Ryan Harwood, Daniel Merrett, Jackson Paine.
HB: Daniel Rich, Daniel McStay, Sam Mayes.
C: Tom Rockliff, Allen Christensen, Tom Bell.
HF: Pearce Hanley, Lewis Taylor, Nick Robertson.
F: Trent West, Josh Schache, Ryan Bastinac.
Foll: Stefan Martin, Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson.
Int: Ben Keays, Jarrad Jansen, Tom Cutler, Jonathan Freeman .

Emg: Claye Beams, Josh Clayton, Rhys Mathieson

Brisbane look quite reasonable on paper, if a little small. McStay played well against us last year, picking goals and marking well as a forward. He's in defence. Stefan Martin has dined out on our ruckmen in recent times. Robinson hasn't had a bad one against us yet. ( :( ) Tom Bell kicked 4 goals last week. They beat us twice last year when we looked to be better and in better form. I really hated that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #99
Just a piece of trivia that doesn't deserve its own thread: on Marngrook Footy Show, Adam Treloar said he was a Carlton fan and his faves were Kouta and Juddy.

Reply #100
Just a piece of trivia that doesn't deserve its own thread: on Marngrook Footy Show, Adam Treloar said he was a Carlton fan and his faves were Kouta and Juddy.

Another piece of trivia; in 2003 Brendon Bolton won the Horrie Gorringe Medal for B&F as captain-coach of North Hobart.  I'm not sure if Horrie and Daniel are related but Gorringe is a relatively rare surname.

Anyway, back to the footy.

Bolton started his press conference last Sunday by apologising for being monotonous and he hasn't changed his ways:

Blues coach Brendon Bolton said despite the excitement of last week’s win, his team would be ready to tackle the Lions.

“If you’re one or two per cent off in terms of your focus and approach you can get hurt … We need to be on again,” Bolton told the media on Friday.

“We’re wary of Brisbane. They have pushed some real quality sides.”

Blues vice-captain Kade Simpson will lead the side in the absence of skipper Marc Murphy, who will miss up to a month after suffering an ankle injury against the Cats.

Bolton admitted Murphy’s absence would “leave a hole” in the Blues’ midfield, but was confident his team’s improved leadership would fill the void.

“We’ve built leadership density,” he said.

“We can’t rely on one individual … We need to be a team that’s about the sum of the parts.”
. . .

“We want to be defined by our pressure and he (Graham) will just add to that.”
. . .

But Bolton was quick to reduce the hype around the possible match-up [Weitering-Schache].

“I don’t want to overplay that match-up," he said.

“We play team defence, so it (Weitering-Schache match-up) can’t happen all the time.”

Despite recent media discussion around a potential lottery system for the national draft, Bolton reiterated the Club’s position to put winning above positioning for draft picks.

“Creating a culture for sustained success is important, that’s about standards, values and behaviours,” he said. 

“That’s No.1 and always will be at the Carlton Football Club.”

Keep on being monotonous Brendon  :)

Reply #101
Taking my two girls to the footy for the first time tomorrow...a win would be nice.

Reply #102
Taking my two girls to the footy for the first time tomorrow...a win would be nice.

I hope you and your girls have a great day  :)

Reply #104
I hope you and your girls have a great day  :)

Enjoy and shout out loud for those who can't make it ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.