Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 14057 times) previous topic - next topic

Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood

If I can only tell the future ... I'd be in deep faecal matter!
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #1
Back to our old Carlton style unfortunately. Game of 2 totally contrasting halves 😖 We even kicked straight in the first half. Then......

We had no answer for the big American or the speedy Stephenson.

Not sure why we didn't catch on to Grundy giving Adams silver ruck service. Credit to their mids. We didn't get our hands on it around the contest. In fact we were way off the mark in the 2nd half.

Very disappointing second half. If that's our best after a 9d break against a sub-par pies midfield, I worry for our next 3 short break games.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #2
Probably the most disappointing performance of the year. Still mentally soft when a decent opponent brings serious, sustained heat. Better than last year, but that is feint praise.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #3
 Haven't got the experience playing for a spot in the finals. Showed in the last qtr. Too much panic under pressure playing for a finals spot. That was my worry all week that such a game would see us crap the bed. Half expected at our stage of development.

We should go 8-9, 9-8, which we have taken at the start of the year, but it shows we have plenty to learn to hit the next step, especially mentally.

A part of learning and developing. Never going to go from bottom to top straight away. We have to go through this part where we learn to play under a different sort of pressure. We'll be better for it.

Reply #4
Probably the most disappointing performance of the year. Still mentally soft when a decent opponent brings serious, sustained heat. Better than last year, but that is feint praise.

Had to be partially expected. Completely different sort of pressure. Biggest game since the 2013 EF so I was interested to see how we'd cope with it. Physically ok to go, mentally didn't handle it in the last qtr. That's the learning part.

Reply #5

Imagine the result with Sidebottom, Treloar and a couple of other players in the side. Probably our worst game for the season. Bitter result that could have been worse. 2020 done. Start thinking about recruiting players that make a genuine difference.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #6
Beaten by a better side.
Quite a few players down on the form of previous weeks.
Time to play the kids, do some experimentation....and maybe give a few a farewell game.

Reply #7
Once again we got to 9 (10?) points up but just couldn't get THAT goal.
Instead, it was a series of fumbles, poor decisions, and loose checking which finally got Coll'wood the goal which put a spring in their step and the rest was miserably predictable.

Had everything to play for today so I'll never understand the mentality or psychology of this bunch.

Teague gets a 2 out of 10 today.

The only positive is that we're a game closer to seeing a few players give it away ... I hope.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #8
We all got ahead of ourselves, players included.  I said it after team selections in picking 2 kids that have shown SFA and whack them both in together against a well drilled team. I don't care that they were undermanned the bulk of their list have played a lot of finals and they were never going to be easy beats. 

That was the start of it IMO.

Our back six as a unit have been settled and a consistent area for us. How dumb is it to bring a bloke like Poulson into that mix -even for his own development it was a massive ask. Adams tore him a new one early and while i have seen him play worse games its wasnt the right time for such a risk risk to be taken and smacked of cockyness.

This game highlighted how far off our midfield is when a team with 3 of there best 5 mids out and we still get beaten up badly in the middle.  We could have done with a big bodied mid like Kennedy and couldn't have hurt having the goal smarts of Cunningham roaming deep near goal. I know he is quiet too often but he is dangerous and requires attention and i think that type of player would have loved to highlight his skills in a massive game like this.

Send it countless times the midfield needs at least 2 A-B graders before we can talk about finals let alone dreaming about flags and this game showed we are miles off the real teams.

Reply #9
Lost this one in the coaches box and selection table.....Polson and Dow in an important game was a mistake and Teague got out coached by Buckley. Elliott in the middle worked well for them and surprised us and I thought Adams was the best player on the ground with his grunt work. Our forwards were disgraceful in terms of pressure in the second half...Noble, Quaynor and Crisp just racked them up, never had a man and we just bombed the ball long like we usually do when we have no plan B and they have the talls in Moore and Roughead to match our talls so we couldnt take any marks even on a dry day.
Daicos slaughtered us after half time and we just let him run around on his own and he created mayhem with his pace and clever ball use. Rucks were not too bad TDK, Pittonet ganged up on Grundy but I thought the Collingwood man stuck at it and we didnt get the dominance we should have...
Cripps was kept to an ordinary game by Pendlebury and Walsh wasnt dominant either...Ed battled on but his ball use wasnt great.
Eddie had his moments but the kid Quaynor worried us with his pace and ball use and Eddie didnt have the wheels to stop him..
Gibbons was poor, Fisher patchy and probably Setterfield was our best player.
Another good move by Buckley was Mihocek on Weitering in a defensive role, our man didnt really have his usual great intercept game and Mihocek chipped in with a few goals late. Cox was useless but being so big demanded attention and also got a couple of goals by sheer weight of attacking ball that was sent his way.
Plowman had a shocker as did Docherty imo.....Stephenson was too quick and smart and became the leadup target but Teague didnt seem to get what Collingwood were doing and it was the wrong matchup.
Williamson was shaky and Simpson battled on but its the end for him in a few weeks.
Given what Collingwood had out in terms of class it was a poor effort on and off the field....got to question Barkers role and what input he has into matchups and tactics as well.

Reply #10
Again when we wrestle control of the game and the opposition respond with tenacity and strategic change, our appointed leaders failure to respond... that's on-field leaders and those in the coaching box.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #11
Imagine the result with Sidebottom, Treloar and a couple of other players in the side. Probably our worst game for the season. Bitter result that could have been worse. 2020 done. Start thinking about recruiting players that make a genuine difference.

Spot on. Too many patted the club on the back for snaring C graders during this rebuild, yet the real point was we failed because we couldn't influence genuine A graders - put simply we wont take the next step unless we can get real mccoy A grade midfielders in the door at seasons end.

Cripps is busted up already and looks half the player he was which is a real worry. Without bolstering our main deficiency we may not be a bottom team anymore but i can assure you we wont ever be a genuine threat either.  

Reply #12
Our forwards were disgraceful in terms of pressure in the second half...Noble, Quaynor and Crisp just racked them up, never had a man and we just bombed the ball long like we usually do when we have no plan B and they have the talls in Moore and Roughead to match our talls so we couldnt take any marks even on a dry day.

The long high  balls into the forward line are so easy to defend against especially if your 'markers' are having an off day.
If we were hoping for our small forwards to reap a crumbing benefit...it wasn't really happening.
The big forwards weren't grabbing them.
Yet we persisted with it.
Too predictable

Reply #13
Once again we got to 9 (10?) points up but just couldn't get THAT goal.
Instead, it was a series of fumbles, poor decisions, and loose checking which finally got Coll'wood the goal which put a spring in their step and the rest was miserably predictable.

Had everything to play for today so I'll never understand the mentality or psychology of this bunch.

Teague gets a 2 out of 10 today.

The only positive is that we're a game closer to seeing a few players give it away ... I hope.

That was the main test, playing under this type of pressure for the first time since the 2013 EF. Good enough physically but didn't cope with it mentally when everything was on the line. That's why I want us involved in these games. When we are likely a better side next year I want to make sure we are mentally ready for big occasions when the time comes. It's learning. Half expected we'd $hit the bed. Big leap from the worst rabble ever to a finals contender in 12 months.

Reply #14
Time to rest Cripps and let the rest of them pull their weight.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!