Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 4210 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #90
The only difference, LAJ, was that in 1995 all games prior to those two hidings (against the Fluffy Ducks and the Aints) were very impressive wins, even dished out a few hidings. Then followed up with a 102 pt drubbing of the Dawks after the 2 losses.

There's no difference. They we smashings worse than last night. In other words near all good sides have bad losses during a season and most recover. Our issue on here is we just overanalyse one to death for no reason. Essentially it's like the end of the world with one loss, our only loss so far. Worry about it if we don't rebound.

Perspective isn't in the dictionary on this site. Just panic merchants. Premiership sides have been in worse positions than us at this stage. Richmond choked a few weeks in a row in mid 2017, we laughed at them really loudly. Wasn't as if they were that good previous years. They ended up resounding flag winners the same year. Geelong were 5-4 at one stage last year. Richmond's 3 flags they were back in the pack at this stage with crap losses in there. Funniliy enough, the year they did dominate, 2018, they missed the GF. Maybe this time we might get our timing right rather than being out like a shots and blowing up.

Reply #91
"Perspective isn't in the dictionary on this site.  Just panic merchants."

Laj, what game did you watch last night?  Had we won or put in a decent performance - which we were entitled to expect - then I'm sure we would be discussing the match in a positive light. Given the absolute rubbish the team dished up with not one winner on the night, why wouldn't fans let loose with their negative comments?

After all, we've been down this well worn track before.

Reply #92
Thats his first presser I was a little disappointed with, I suppose it mirrored our night. To suggest he was pleased with aspects seemed forced and contrived. He didn't need to smash his blokes publicly but to suggest there were areas he was pleased with was a stretch.

Just watched Harwicks post press conference. He was utterly disappointed and made no excuses for his team's poor performance.  Voss on the other hand talks about positives and even cracks a joke at the end. No more Mr Nice Guy Voss. Time to show the ruthlessness you were known for on the field.

Reply #93
All this 'Doom and Gloom'.  The reality is we haven't played well for the first 5 games and have lost one game. I said to the boss on wed night when I seen the side we will get rolled.  After following the Baggers for 63 years every time we look like having our best team in it happens. Go figure.

A couple of POSITIVES - Cowan, Hollands and Newys form.

All this talk of big bodies and getting smashed by the Crows, I remind all that we beat the reining premiers two weeks ago and they are not small. When you get smashed in the contest and get pushed off the ball it always comes down to the size of our players. We are not small; we are just not as quick as we need to be. Look at the Daicos Bros, Pendles and Sidebottom, they are not monsters, they are smart. Having Sammy back will help. Our structure was stuffed on Thu night when Gov pulled out and Pitt was subbed.  No Doc also hurts. Don't blame our backline blame the lazy midfielders.

Sure, we have some weaknesses on the list and this will be addressed at the end of the year. We have to get a quality Ruckman and we need some more speed around the ball. TDK and SOS are not the answer in the ruck.

We cannot keep players on the list who are continually injured. There is bad luck and there is Martin and co.  Start cleaning out your lockers Martin, Cunners and  Marchy. Need to give Cincotto and Dow a few games to prove themselves.

I expect a complete turnaround against the Aints next Sunday. Hopefully Gov and Pitt will be OK.

Reply #94
All this 'Doom and Gloom'.  The reality is we haven't played well for the first 5 games and have lost one game. I said to the boss on wed night when I seen the side we will get rolled.  After following the Baggers for 63 years every time we look like having our best team in it happens. Go figure.

A couple of POSITIVES - Cowan, Hollands and Newys form.

All this talk of big bodies and getting smashed by the Crows, I remind all that we beat the reining premiers two weeks ago and they are not small. When you get smashed in the contest and get pushed off the ball it always comes down to the size of our players. We are not small; we are just not as quick as we need to be. Look at the Daicos Bros, Pendles and Sidebottom, they are not monsters, they are smart. Having Sammy back will help. Our structure was stuffed on Thu night when Gov pulled out and Pitt was subbed.  No Doc also hurts. Don't blame our backline blame the lazy midfielders.

Sure, we have some weaknesses on the list and this will be addressed at the end of the year. We have to get a quality Ruckman and we need some more speed around the ball. TDK and SOS are not the answer in the ruck.

We cannot keep players on the list who are continually injured. There is bad luck and there is Martin and co.  Start cleaning out your lockers Martin, Cunners and  Marchy. Need to give Cincotto and Dow a few games to prove themselves.

I expect a complete turnaround against the Aints next Sunday. Hopefully Gov and Pitt will be OK.

The thread on 'strengths and weaknesses' was supposed to be more about a whole series of 'strengths and weaknesses' folks are seeing after round 5
It'll probably be completely different by the bye.

The focus on 'big bodies' was probably my fault for picking that 'theme' as the opener.
It's just one aspect of many, and it's not necessarily about size, it's more about strength, and how you use it.
You've identified another aspect in respect of speed.... both to and from the contest.
Others will point to the slow start and question whether we came with the right mindset.
Then there are the more difficult to identify aspects....like players playing injured, or how structures are working, and how the absence of one or two players has a flow on effect as others need to move to pick up the slack.
We all give different weight to different aspects which means we rarely all agree on detailed player and team performance, but rather concentrate on the overall picture.

There are multiple reasons for the performance on Thursday.
In some respects it was a bit of a perfect storm of everthing going pear shaped in that first quarter.
The task for the coaching group is a challenge.
Getting them up for the Saints game will come with the advantage that the players will be under no illusions that the job won't be one they can just take for granted.
They'll be a little embarrased, and hopefully keen to make amends.
If not, that will also tell a story.

Reply #95
Just watched Harwicks post press conference. He was utterly disappointed and made no excuses for his team's poor performance.  Voss on the other hand talks about positives and even cracks a joke at the end. No more Mr Nice Guy Voss. Time to show the ruthlessness you were known for on the field.

Richmond like I said start of the season are over rated and not a top team like everyone thinks...Taranto and Hopper are poor kicking overhyped mids and the Tigers have done their dough on those two and are going to pay with some tough seasons ahead.
We should have smashed them in round 1 and allowing them to draw with us was disappointing, cant see Hardwick staying and I wouldnt be surprised if he lands at Port Adelaide sooner than later when they flick Hinkley.

Reply #96
Like us they have a few injuries.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #97
Like us they have a few injuries.
They do but they dont have much depth and their kids coming through are not at the same level as in the past.
Reiwoldt, Cotchin and Dusty are cooked and Lynch isnt durable anymore......Bolton cops the heavy tag each week and there isnt much left to win them games vs decent opposition.

Reply #98
They do but they dont have much depth and their kids coming through are not at the same level as in the past.
Reiwoldt, Cotchin and Dusty are cooked and Lynch isnt durable anymore......Bolton cops the heavy tag each week and there isnt much left to win them games vs decent opposition.

Bolton looked a touch exasperated and was getting snitchy from what I saw of the game, but I'd had a couple of wines and was drifting in and out of full consciousness.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #99
Bolton looked a touch exasperated and was getting snitchy from what I saw of the game, but I'd had a couple of wines and was drifting in and out of full consciousness.
Cookie, Great player with all the skills but thats also dragging more heat on him now with the other Tiger stars fading and he is going to be baited and knocked around each week. He is expected to kick goals and be a midfield star and thats going to wear him down  when other teams have a crack at him physically.

Reply #100
Pickett is dirty little mongrel, can't stand the prick.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #101
SOS fined by the MRO for tripping.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #103
So, I have a mate in Adelaide so decided to make the trip (by car) catch up with him see the boys and experience the hype of the gather round concept. My mate managed to score some tickets for a corporate box, SWEET! Weather was cr@p on the drive over but as soon as I got over Mt Lofty it cleared to a sunny day. All the signs were good and I started to feel optimistic.
Then the game started
Had to be one of the most disappointing efforts for quiet some time.
Got back tonight, the only positive from the game - First time I haven't lost my voice at a Carlton game in 2 years
Didn't think we have been playing that well since round 1 but never expected that sort of capitulation (bar, maybe that little period in the 2nd and 3rd)
I'm very, very worried about the next game against the Aints

Reply #104
I wonder if our so-so efforts for the year papered over cracks... which we ignored... which we put a favourable spin on... sound familiar?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17