Skip to main content
Topic: Be strong, say NO (Read 20023 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Be strong, say NO

Reply #30

even more reason to keep him interested in the club. hopefully now that he is cashed we will get that extra 150k. mind u he still donated 850k if u believe the report which is not a bad effort for someone we want nothing to with. give the doc a fair go.

Reply #31
He's a strange fellow, he's done some dodgy things...but in the end he's just another passionate Blues supporter.

If being a felon at one stage disqualifies you from contributing in whatever way we'd better do a thorough check of our history ;)

Reply #32
even more reason to keep him interested in the club. hopefully now that he is cashed we will get that extra 150k. mind u he still donated 850k if u believe the report which is not a bad effort for someone we want nothing to with. give the doc a fair go.

While he has been splashing his mother's money around, the ex-doctor is still in deep financial sh1t:

Bankrupt businessman Geoffrey Edelsten faces years of litigation in Australia and the United States, with creditors in both countries lining up to get a piece of his Victorian assets.

Edelsten is being chased by more than 40 creditors , including the Australian Taxation Office, for millions of dollars.

He also owes National Australia Bank, Bendigo Bank and AFL club Carlton among the 41 creditors, while court documents from 2014 say Edelsten owes more than $10 million to his former US business partner Rafael Mawardi.

Edelsten on Wednesday attended the Federal Court in Melbourne to observe a hearing involving his US bankruptcy trustee and the NAB.

Edelsten declared bankruptcy in the US in 2014, prompting his bankruptcy trustee to launch Federal Court proceedings which resulted in Edelsten's Australian assets being handed to an administrator.

NAB is one of three secured creditors owed money by Edelsten, who is being pursued by a further 38 creditors split between the US, Australia, the Dominican Republic and Singapore.

Counsel for the bank, Peter Collinson QC, said NAB are still working out how to navigate Edelsten's US bankruptcy, and litigation in Australia over unpaid loans.

"We face the high risk of having to litigate in two courts," Mr Collinson told Justice Jonathan Beach.

Justice Beach also questioned whether any orders he made would be recognised by the US Bankruptcy Court dealing with Edelsten's American debts.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/creditors-line-up-for-edelstens-assets/news-story/b3c685673b2b19d042aa38f778f05d53

The club should write off his debt and p1ss him off.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
the news that creditors are trying to obtain some of his inheritance is not earth shattering news and is quite expected. the fact he is having business disputes should not disqualify him from a blues member/contributor - though they should get the cash upfront.

geez if we dont want people with current or previous financial issues or not repaid a debt then i shudder to think how low our membership base would be.

i would not write off his debt but rather try to leverage his clear love of the blues and try to eventually get it back.

Reply #34
the news that creditors are trying to obtain some of his inheritance is not earth shattering news and is quite expected. the fact he is having business disputes should not disqualify him from a blues member/contributor - though they should get the cash upfront.

geez if we dont want people with current or previous financial issues or not repaid a debt then i shudder to think how low our membership base would be.

i would not write off his debt but rather try to leverage his clear love of the blues and try to eventually get it back.

The guy OWES us money!!  He's been a bad debt!!  He received goods and services and wasn't able to pay!!  He's a bafoon with serious history who is openly welcomed by us. Name of the swimming pool at the club???

How many undesirables barrack for Collingwood, probably pay dollars to the coffers but Eddie is smart enough to totally disassociate the club with them.  Toby Mitchell lasted 30 secs with an association with Richmond. It's all about perception, culture and what you stand for as a club, the type of person you want mixing with and access to your young, sometimes vulnerable players. 

Read his history and his current situation. Would you want a guy like that sitting on the end of your kid's bed reading nighttime stories??

Last year, we were the laughing stock of the league and other supporters after the Malthouse / Collingwood game, both because of the result of the game and the colorful character we had in the box.  Would any other club allow one of this town's colorful characters in the box, even if they wanted to pay big bucks?? Don't think so!!

Reply #35
Arguably our greatest player ever fell foul of the law (twice) over financial issues.....so where do we draw a line? ???

Reply #36
Lol.

He owes us 150k remaining from a 1 million dollar donation.

That means he's given us 750k.

That's more money than I'll pay in membership over my lifetime.

I think perspective is being missed here.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #37
Arguably our greatest player ever fell foul of the law (twice) over financial issues.....so where do we draw a line? ???

There's a great difference between the two situations.  For a start, Edelsten was convicted of attempting to pervert the course of justice and is actively conniving to avoid paying his debts.

Edelsten is regularly in the media for the wrong reasons including the latest episode where his debt to CFC was raised.  That's not good publicity for the club.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #38
There's a great difference between the two situations.  For a start, Edelsten was convicted of attempting to pervert the course of justice and is actively conniving to avoid paying his debts.

Edelsten is regularly in the media for the wrong reasons including the latest episode where his debt to CFC was raised.  That's not good publicity for the club.

again show me any factual evidence he has been a negative impact on our commercial operations. i again point out he has no formal involvement with the club other than being a supporter/contributor. the club does not put out press releases re the doc. so which part of the constitution specifically will allow the club to remove him as a member? its very easy to say piss him off /get rid of him but how do u propose it gets done that is legal?

Reply #39

exactly! if memory serves me right there was a fair amount of rumour that some time may have been served or was it a bro that did it for him.

Reply #40
The guy OWES us money!!  He's been a bad debt!!  He received goods and services and wasn't able to pay!!  He's a bafoon with serious history who is openly welcomed by us. Name of the swimming pool at the club???

How many undesirables barrack for Collingwood, probably pay dollars to the coffers but Eddie is smart enough to totally disassociate the club with them.  Toby Mitchell lasted 30 secs with an association with Richmond. It's all about perception, culture and what you stand for as a club, the type of person you want mixing with and access to your young, sometimes vulnerable players. 

Read his history and his current situation. Would you want a guy like that sitting on the end of your kid's bed reading nighttime stories??

Last year, we were the laughing stock of the league and other supporters after the Malthouse / Collingwood game, both because of the result of the game and the colorful character we had in the box.  Would any other club allow one of this town's colorful characters in the box, even if they wanted to pay big bucks?? Don't think so!!

he has given at least 850k i reckon he can have pool named after him.

seriously would u let any stranger be with ur kids in their bedrooms - if yes then mate hand yourself in as being an unfit parent? maybe its okay if they dont have a debt/ colorful personality/ some police record - maybe a priest would fit ur moral compass a little better and would be allowed to be with ur kids in their bedroom?

i call b/s on this. we were laughed at because of the crape performance our team put in on such a huge historical occasion - maybe u had a couple of maggies near u that stirred u up - if so then harden up.

clubs in our situation need the cash so they will do what it takes that's the fact - if u dont like that contribute more cash into the club so they can say sorry doc were financial.

Reply #41
again show me any factual evidence he has been a negative impact on our commercial operations. i again point out he has no formal involvement with the club other than being a supporter/contributor. the club does not put out press releases re the doc. so which part of the constitution specifically will allow the club to remove him as a member? its very easy to say piss him off /get rid of him but how do u propose it gets done that is legal?

Who said anything about removing him as a member? 

Anything that reflects badly on the club has a negative impact.  That's why Richmond stopped King bringing Mitchell into the rooms.  I really can't see much difference.

Reply #42
exactly! if memory serves me right there was a fair amount of rumour that some time may have been served or was it a bro that did it for him.

Fair amount of rumour? 

John Nicholls served 3 months for embezzlement and larceny in 1960.  He was also fined for fraud in 1980 after his Carlton career had finished.  Both are fairly minor matters in comparison to 12 months for attempting to pervert the course of justice and engaging a hitman to intimidate a witness.

Reply #43
Who said anything about removing him as a member? 

Anything that reflects badly on the club has a negative impact.  That's why Richmond stopped King bringing Mitchell into the rooms.  I really can't see much difference.

so when u mentioned "piss him off" did u really mean to just upset him? so how exactly will u piss him off. big difference between mitchell being invited by one of the players without club permission and our fund raiser being a spot in the box. perhaps the tiggies would have a different opinion if tm has given 850K+.  

badly in ur eyes - however u still cant demonstrate a factual negative impact other than opinion. Have we seen any sponsor statements - nope. anything from either state or commonwealth government - nope. what about any law enforcement organizations - ahh again no. I would be with ya in heartbeat if any occurred and it was going to materially harm the club however it hasn't so lets not discriminate because u dont like someone who doesn't confirm to societal norms.

Reply #44
Fair amount of rumour? 

John Nicholls served 3 months for embezzlement and larceny in 1960.  He was also fined for fraud in 1980 after his Carlton career had finished.  Both are fairly minor matters in comparison to 12 months for attempting to pervert the course of justice and engaging a hitman to intimidate a witness.

9 months aint a lot of difference and the first may have been positively influenced by community standing.