Skip to main content
Topic: Melbourne CBD Incident (Read 23248 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Melbourne CBD Incident

Reply #90
Would any of the above have helped in this instance?

Would any of the above have helped avoid the Bourke street incident??

I don't think it would have unless I dont have the full background of this individual.

We'll never know Thry.

I guess that even with the best educational, parental support, mental health, police and judicial systems, folk will still slip through the cracks.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #91
Would any of the above have helped in this instance?

Would any of the above have helped avoid the Bourke street incident??

I don't think it would have unless I dont have the full background of this individual.
How s h i t gets done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00naoyE_kv0
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #93
Cops are damned if they do and damned if they don't...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/cop-brett-mccormick-pleads-not-guilty-to-reckless-conduct-over-highspeed-chase/news-story/694824e0277d80a55ab4ca46a82996f1
The worlds gone mad! Let the police police FFS. You know things are forked when we go harder at the men in blue than we do the scumbags they are trying to apprehend.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #94
Cops are damned if they do and damned if they don't...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/cop-brett-mccormick-pleads-not-guilty-to-reckless-conduct-over-highspeed-chase/news-story/694824e0277d80a55ab4ca46a82996f1

The court was told police had no policy of ramming cars in order to end a pursuit.
Well there's an easy fix.

Create a policy in which its allowed and this magically goes away.

Give police the power to stop these things without the worry of getting sued and an incident like this disappears.

Reply #95
Well there's an easy fix.

Create a policy in which its allowed and this magically goes away.

Give police the power to stop these things without the worry of getting sued and an incident like this disappears.

My late brother was a police officer for 20 years.  One night when off duty, he saw four blokes bashing another bloke.  He drove his car onto the footpath causing the four blokes to flee and saving the victim from serious injuries.  He received a commendation for his actions.  In the police force shaped by the Christine Nixon era, he would have been charged with dangerous driving  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #96
Shawny, I have highlighted this point in bold to try and understand something.

Are people born bad eggs, or do they become that way?

[/qu

Thanks for the Great discussion folks.

Re: nature v nurture
Contemporary science examines nature and nurture, and how they interact. Subsequently predicting human behavior can be very complex.
There are a multitude of predisposing (I.e low intellect), precipitating (parental separation), perpetuating (poverty), and then protective (social support) factors that play a role.
Whilst some factors predict behaviour in a reliable manner, others don't. Arguably the most extreme of these is drug use. Of course, drugs are reliably variable in structure and therefore effect. Further, they are produced by criminals with no regard for standardization. Indeed new concoctions hit the market continually. The way I see it, human behavior will become less predictable whilst this scourge of drugs continues. Aside from this, for predictions to be made, an individual needs to be assessed. This costs. Government is not in spending mode when it comes to some public services (as stretched public servants will know).

There's no doubt this event is unbelievably tragic. The answers, however, are likely to require more resources than are on hand. My 2cents worth anyway.

PS. Don't know what I did, but I managed to stuff up the format ooops :-\
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #97
Saw program on TV about a year ago on nature v. nurture. To cut a long story short, some people are born with proclivity to be bad and if these folk are subjected to poor or abusive upbringing they will likely become bad. Children born without the proclivities are much less likely to become bad even if their upbringing is bad. Also people with bad proclivity are much less likely to become bad if they get good upbringing.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #98
Saw program on TV about a year ago on nature v. nurture. To cut a long story short, some people are born with proclivity to be bad and if these folk are subjected to poor or abusive upbringing they will likely become bad. Children born without the proclivities are much less likely to become bad even if their upbringing is bad. Also people with bad proclivity are much less likely to become bad if they get good upbringing.

In other words regardless of society and how a person is raised, things can be improved but never eliminated. There is and will always be bad eggs. 

Therefore as I have said before double the sentence for those convicted of a serious crime and no bail for anyone charged with a serious offence. Take the onus off these bail justice and judges as they get it wrong too often.

I assure you they will be a lot less serious crimes if those 2 simply changes are made. Its as simply as that. Too many complicate things.

I can think of half a dozen innocent people that would be alive today if the above changes were made.