Skip to main content
Topic: Chopper Read passes away  (Read 14948 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chopper Read passes away

Reply #30
Saw a few people come out on TV this morning and say basically Chopper was a bullsh1t artist and anything he said over the years, perhaps even last night was a crock of sh1t. At one point he claimed to have killed 12 people, then 10, and last night four....a few weeks ago in the paper he said he'd thought long and hard about dying, last night he said he hadn't, etc. The lies just kept coming.

I also don't get all the glorification of this man either. Granted he had a sh1thouse upbringing, but so have a lot of people. He has (apparently) killed and that is in itself disgusting and evil behaviour.

Tall tales were all he had left Gozza, having said all that I wasn't buying.

Your point about glorification is exact - I was thinking this the other day when I saw the advertisement for the Chopper interview (60 Minutes). I think part of it is that Australia is basically pretty quite and nothing much happens here - just look at what makes the papers. The media are now news producers rather than reporters which I think has been this way for sometime.

Reply #31
Trust me when I say this, Chopper Read is like a lot of other 'self professed big time crooks', in that he drinks his own bath water on most occasions.  The man is a liar and a fool.  He made money off his so called fame, and most of it, like the Underbelly crap, is only 50-60% of the truth.  Dont get caught up in anything this man says or does.  The world is a better place without him.

Reply #32
Sure is a curious thing how so many members of the public are secretly impressed with gangsters.

I think people 'liked' Chopper because he said he would only hurt criminals and not everyday folks :o And he seemed to be a funny character.  :( Probably says something about the empty and unfulfilled lives of many folks in the community.

Personally I think his declared mental illness was a little worse than he admitted. Sad, pathetic and dangerous. Nothing to be admired.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #33
Sure is a curious thing how so many members of the public are secretly impressed with gangsters.

I think people 'liked' Chopper because he said he would only hurt criminals and not everyday folks :o And he seemed to be a funny character.  :( Probably says something about the empty and unfulfilled lives of many folks in the community.

Personally I think his declared mental illness was a little worse than he admitted. Sad, pathetic and dangerous. Nothing to be admired.
Says it all Baggers (in bold).
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #34
IIRC Denton interviewed Chopper a few years ago and pretty much exposed his weaknesses and dispelled most of the myth.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #37
Hehe I didn't know that musical existed..

I like the writers description of "braking good". If that was indeed his life's journey, then it's worth telling.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #38
Hehe I didn't know that musical existed..

I like the writers description of "braking good". If that was indeed his life's journey, then it's worth telling.

Considering it seems he was King Crap Artist, it will be very interesting to see how the whole thing pans out. 

Reply #39
Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.