Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2020 Rd 8: Carlton vs North (Read 14688 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2020 Rd 8: Carlton vs North

Reply #165
Bolton and Teague are not playing the same players, they are not playing under the same parameters, nor the same aims and objectives. Teague's 2019 results and 2020 results are pretty much the same, despite another pre season, despite the injection Betts, Martin, Pittonet etc.

There was a spike once the change occurred, for reasons which have been discussed extensively, but from June 2019 till now we have been basically treading water.

Got to admire your determination. I think most people (Carlton or neutral) would probably agree that Teague is a clearly better coach though. The less charitable (like me) would go one step further and state that BB clearly had no idea what he was doing and goes down as a baffling appointment.

Teague just fell into our lap really and thank god for that. Hate to think what bumbler the rocket surgeons on our board would have appointed had Teague not made it impossible to give it to someone else.

Reply #166
Agree re. Setterfield. 2nd year back from his Reco and looks like a 10 year player.

Hopefully Harry and SOS are back next week.

Reply #167
Got to admire your determination. I think most people (Carlton or neutral) would probably agree that Teague is a clearly better coach though. The less charitable (like me) would go one step further and state that BB clearly had no idea what he was doing and goes down as a baffling appointment.

Teague just fell into our lap really and thank god for that. Hate to think what bumbler the rocket surgeons on our board would have appointed had Teague not made it impossible to give it to someone else.

Bolton and Teague are the actors who make the most appearances, but the play isn't really about them. It's about understanding that any club is much bigger than one person, that one person cannot make that much difference, that clubs operate in a dynamic state, with changing values and priorities, and that we must get beyond this tip-of-the-iceberg mentality, where what we see becomes a lazy substitute for a much bigger reality. You would think Pagan and Malthouse were lousy coaches if you only knew their record with us, yet we know this is not the case.

Reply #168
You would think Pagan and Malthouse were lousy coaches if you only knew their record with us, yet we know this is not the case.

Pagan, really? The guy was the biggest contributor for where we find ourselves today. What he did to this club is unforgivable. The losing mentality we see today is directly attributable to sheer number of floggings we copped under his tutelage.

Hack of the highest order and no amount of turd polishing can brighten the stain that he imposed on this club.

screwing hate the bloke for what he did... C*nt of the highest order...

The less said about Sir craphouse the better, but the rot was forged under the guidance of the hack of all hacks Pagan. Don't piss on my back and re-tell history...
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #169
Bolton and Teague are the actors who make the most appearances, but the play isn't really about them. It's about understanding that any club is much bigger than one person, that one person cannot make that much difference, that clubs operate in a dynamic state, with changing values and priorities, and that we must get beyond this tip-of-the-iceberg mentality, where what we see becomes a lazy substitute for a much bigger reality. You would think Pagan and Malthouse were lousy coaches if you only knew their record with us, yet we know this is not the case.

So why bother ?
Do you seriously think you can comprehend any of it from this place ?
Even the key decision makers are oblivious to all the actions, inactions and subsequent repercussions.
Only 1 club gets it “right” each year, everyone else gets it “wrong” by your own definition.
It’s butterfly wings beating in Africa stuff.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #170

😁

A medical involving checking for training wheels or evidence of scars related to their recent surgical removal would no doubt have been high on their elimination criteria.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #171

I wish you well with this theory but you might be overthinking it a fraction. It's not like Teague took us from 5-7 wins a year and built from there. We were losing almost every game and copping hammerings on a regular basis. Some games we could barely cross halfway. Almost immediately we have become finals contenders. If you redraw the ladder from the point Teague took over we're 8th or 9th I think.

I agree It's not 100% about the senior coach but  Bolts but had no idea what he was doing on any level. I think that's clear.

Reply #172
Only 1 club gets it “right” each year

I think that's a key point.
Just about every club in the middle of the table will display some inconsistency over a season.
That's due to the fact that they're either on the improve or on the decline.
Top 4 and that inconsistency is much less apparent.
But even premiers will have the odd aberration in terms of performance as we did in 1995

We're at that stage where we are doing some things really well but there are still a few things that need to improve.
The chief one for me is the inconsistency of individual players.
We have guys making an impression in one game in 4.
They show us what they're capable of but then put in a couple of average weeks.
When that turns to good performances in 3 out of 4 games the team results will be more consistent.

Reply #173
I’m not sure what to make of that game. Of course you take the win. But again we get a bit roughed up and let them get on top after it. That’s Kind of concerning.

Had a period of really poor skills on show, and I suppose it’s a positive that even with that, we managed to win. But this was a team slated to get beaten easily today, and we just did it.

Not sure where we sit.

You know that is where a player like Bryce Gibbs changed a game in the past, in wet or poor conditions he would often find a way to get a clean possession and use it. He was the type of player that could break a game - really good a driving metres which we seem to struggle to do at times.

I think we are improving.

Reply #174
Bolton and Teague are not playing the same players, they are not playing under the same parameters, nor the same aims and objectives. Teague's 2019 results and 2020 results are pretty much the same, despite another pre season, despite the injection Betts, Martin, Pittonet etc.

There was a spike once the change occurred, for reasons which have been discussed extensively, but from June 2019 till now we have been basically treading water.

Team A has....
Simpson
Thomas
McGovern
OBrien

Team B has...
Fasolo
Stocker
Lang
Kennedy

All other players are the same.

Which team wins?

EDIT: This one is a better comparison

Team C...
Charlie
Weitering
Marchbank
Stocker
Cuningham

Team D...
Murphy
Lang
Setterfield
DeLuca
OBrien

All other players are the same.

Which team wins and why?

Reply #175
Pagan, really? The guy was the biggest contributor for where we find ourselves today. What he did to this club is unforgivable. The losing mentality we see today is directly attributable to sheer number of floggings we copped under his tutelage.

Hack of the highest order and no amount of turd polishing can brighten the stain that he imposed on this club.

screwing hate the bloke for what he did... C*nt of the highest order...

The less said about Sir craphouse the better, but the rot was forged under the guidance of the hack of all hacks Pagan. Don't piss on my back and re-tell history...

You are free to love and loath whomever you please. Your views on Pagan have been known for years. Pagan is a 2 time premiership coach. Malthouse 3 times. They aren't hacks.

Reply #176
So why bother ?
Do you seriously think you can comprehend any of it from this place ?
Even the key decision makers are oblivious to all the actions, inactions and subsequent repercussions.
Only 1 club gets it “right” each year, everyone else gets it “wrong” by your own definition.
It’s butterfly wings beating in Africa stuff.

It's a football forum. The fact that none of us know the full story doesn't prevent us having a discussion, it doesn't prevent us from speculating, and it doesn't prevent us from taking a discussion to something beyond simplistic name calling, or simplistic conceptualizing.

If we knew the answers, the CSC wouldn't exist.

Reply #177
I wish you well with this theory but you might be overthinking it a fraction. It's not like Teague took us from 5-7 wins a year and built from there. We were losing almost every game and copping hammerings on a regular basis. Some games we could barely cross halfway. Almost immediately we have become finals contenders. If you redraw the ladder from the point Teague took over we're 8th or 9th I think.

I agree It's not 100% about the senior coach but  Bolts but had no idea what he was doing on any level. I think that's clear.

As I said earlier, following that logic you would say the same about Pagan and Malthouse, because they also looked like they had no idea what they were doing. You would never judge a coach by his record at Carlton.

Reply #178
No reply to my question Paul?

Too busy getting into personal spats to stick to footballing matters?

Reply #179
Sorry to get back on topic. Just finished watching the game again. A bit better look gives a new perspective.

Eddie Betts - Definitely his worst game for the year. No impact and was getting very frustrated by a number of things.
Levi Casboult - Another quiet one. After that first goal I thought that would get his confidence up but just got continually out-muscled by his opponent. Didn't give a yelp. Think we all agree, he needs to be the change ruckman. Plays better when that's the case and God knows the Moore experiment was an unmitigated disaster.
Patrick Cripps - After the twat-knot went onto him, his influence was negated significantly. Still the Anderson move was a negative for Norf. He was getting plenty of it in the first. Robbing Peter to pay Paul really.
David Cuningham - Kudos to Cunners. Our best forward by far and has a really good boot. Special mention for his behaviour after he kicked that first goal from the McMillan shank handball. Instead of rubbing his nose in it he just jogged back to position. A refreshing change from the norm in AFL nowadays.
Ed Curnow - Good again yesterday. Had several opponents during the day before settling on Simpkin and did a number on him. Was our best player in the last. Just worked his arse off.
Sam Docherty - Had difficult time of it with the "Tiger King" tag. Also his disposal was uncharacteristically shabby.
Michael Gibbons - Battled hard and did a couple of nice things. A real soldier but not one of his better games.
Liam Jones - Played OK I thought. Got on top of Larkey in the end when the pressure was on.
Matthew Kennedy - Had a real good game. Just worked hard at every contest and hit the scoreboard. Good decision making and no stuff ups this week that I recall.
Jack Martin - Another with his worst game for the year. Flying for marks when he shouldn't, missing targets and missing goals he would ordinarily swallow. That last quarter miss from the double 50 was a shocker.
Mitch McGovern - Useless. No other word for it. Apart from one goal assist as useless as Moore. We were a man down even before he went off. One really interesting moment if you watch the replay is in the 2nd qtr when he fumbles the ball on half forward (one of the few times he gets close to it) and just loses it. Crippa just rips into him. Unsavoury look.
Callum Moore - Worse selection since Darcy Lang. Just like a an Auskick kid playing.
Marc Murphy - Was having real bad one again but his last quarter was good. Plenty ahead of him in the useless stakes.
Jack Newnes - His usual good bad and ugly game but he kicks goals nearly every game and some of his work is outstanding. I think we just have to live with his errors. A bit like Jones.
Sam Petrevski-Seton - This bloke worries me. Has the skills but not the intensity. I find myself screaming at the TV at him more than anyone else in the team. Just like Newnes, some good bad and ugly.
Marc Pittonet - Great game. He was the reason we were all over them in the 1st. His breaks from play cost us.
Lachie Plowman - That's 2 good games in a row for Lachie. His work in the last was awesome.
Will Setterfield - BOG. Just used the ball really real well. Seemed very cool under pressure and continues to do the hard work. Has really surprised me. I hope he keeps it up.
Kade Simpson - Solid game by the old champ. Still capable of some great one-percenters.
Sam Walsh - Building up his form nicely. In our best I thought.
Jacob Weitering - Bar one lapse in concentration, tool Brown to the cleaners. Just another scalp in his career best year to date.
Tom Williamson - Love this guy but yesterday was not one of his best games. Still there was one bit of play where he attacked and swooped up the ball and shot out a beautiful handball to advantage. It was spectacular. Still need to stick with him.

Other observations. Foxtel camerawork is woeful. Considering the number of players having an off day and IMO having 2 good quarters of football we did well to win. We went better in the wet. 3rd Quarter was by far the umpires worst.Great crowd presence and you could not hear the theme song after the win with the volume of the boos at the umps from our supporters.