Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs. Essendon (Read 32702 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs. Essendon

Reply #105
I wouldn't say Phillips was a stand out, although his goal was outstanding.  He only had 60% game time but took some nice marks, as did Kreuzer.

We had to watch Warnock and Hampson for several years, we just get excited when a ruckman takes a mark. And can kick.

Reply #106
Phillips' 2nd half was outstanding.

Byrnes' 1st quarter was outstanding

Gibbs' & Murph's last quarters were oustanding. That's now 3 excellent Murphy performances this year for 2 wins & 1 near miss.

Daisy's game was outstanding.......he's now been our best player in 2 of the 5 games he's played this year & kicked 3 goals in another......maybe, just maybe we're now seeing the player we hoped we were getting when Mick tapped him on the shoulder.

Kreuzer's kicking for goal is every bit as bad as Casboult's.

Credit where credit's due, Sam Rowe, despite the occasional coach-killing error, is actually having a reasonable season.

I like Plowman & Liam Sumner is fast growing on me.....

And finally.....it was the worst standard game in every aspect (as in both teams) I've ever attended.

As I read at the end of an article on the game last night: Let us never speak of this game again.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #107
Watched the game live and while wasnt much in it on the scoreboard we were the better team all day and I never thought we were going to lose it. Something i never felt when watching the same sort of game with MM in charge.

Defence is settled and looks structured and when you consider Byrne, Plowman, Weitering have only played a handful of games together I am very confident of our future down back.

Kreuzer -While not close to his best, the big man is a battering ram that within our midfield group we don't have a single player that does this sort of work. Don't underestimate what he brings to us, even though his kicking and general play is not his best. We need him in to allow the mids some protection and to make other mids look up when the tractor is storming through. Liked his game. 

Docherty - Smart skilled determined footballer. Watch the last quarter 5 mins to go Dons are attacking and have a few man in F50. Docs man marked in the centre square but as he can see the play unfolding leaves his man and sprint to spoil an easy mark and shot at goal to get them within 3 points. That was the match right there. I was sitting right above him and he sprinted with everything he had. Not much was said about it but everyone in the crowd saw what I did.  

Bryne -   How composed and confident is this guy. Im relaxed when he has the ball. His decision making is spot on. Loves how he marks under pressure when he know he can instead of jumping automatically punching. Weitering also has that quality which is one only composed defenders have. Very happy with this lad. 

Jones - Lazy footballer or footballer without a tank. Its one or the other. Second half he refused to run to space but prefers to just point to where there's space and because he doesn't move there rarely gets the ball kicked to where he points. As a result he is constantly contested with either Casboult, Kreuzer in the same contest etc. Dumb, lazy or not fit enough. Take your pick.

Murphy, Gibbs and Curnow: - Played like leaders should. Well done.

Daisy: Seems to be running very well while his kicking doesn't have the penetration it once did he decision making and execution was first rate. Work rate and 1 percenters have always been there but great to finally see his skill set on show. His first goal was an example of how confident he is about his ability. Didn't bother looking inboard, he knew he could slot it and did. First class.

Sure skills were down but wind was swirling everywhere - We took the points against a team we all hate without Crippa and weitering off. Didn't need Walker, Everett, Jamo either to name a few that were considered regulars.

Im happy with how we are tracking.

Pies next........    

Reply #108
What gets me with our forward line is that yesterday, the amount of time that Jones, Boult and Kruezer went up for the same ball.  It did my head.   They virtually all spoilled each other.  Any chance that htey can lead in different directions to open up the forward line a bit.  Bloody.  Schoolbiy stuff at times.

Agree!!!

Jones is the worst offender.

Reply #109
What gets me with our forward line is that yesterday, the amount of time that Jones, Boult and Kruezer went up for the same ball.  It did my head.   They virtually all spoilled each other.  Any chance that htey can lead in different directions to open up the forward line a bit.  Bloody.  Schoolbiy stuff at times.

And on top that very good point..... whereby players would line up for a set shot....clearly outside their comfortable range & instead of lobbing a chaos ball to just in front of the goalsquare, they’d selfishly have a shot & predictably shank the kick trying to get the extra distance. That did my head in.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #110
Phillips' 2nd half was outstanding.

Byrnes' 1st quarter was outstanding

Gibbs' & Murph's last quarters were oustanding. That's now 3 excellent Murphy performances this year for 2 wins & 1 near miss.

Daisy's game was outstanding.......he's now been our best player in 2 of the 5 games he's played this year & kicked 3 goals in another......maybe, just maybe we're now seeing the player we hoped we were getting when Mick tapped him on the shoulder.

Kreuzer's kicking for goal is every bit as bad as Casboult's.

Credit where credit's due, Sam Rowe, despite the occasional coach-killing error, is actually having a reasonable season.

I like Plowman & Liam Sumner is fast growing on me.....

And finally.....it was the worst standard game in every aspect (as in both teams) I've ever attended.

As I read at the end of an article on the game last night: Let us never speak of this game again.....

Really? I know he missed a 40-45m set shot in horrible conditions, but Casboult missed everything from a similar distance and angle! Kreuzer might get the ball off-line left or right, but Casboult misses at right angles! I'd put Kreuzer and Jones in a similar accuracy and Casboult a level or two below that.

Having said that, I heard again from a mate Casboult hardly missed in the warm up, and commentators repeated that he seems to kick them at training and during the warm up so what is going on in his head!

What's going on with Kerridge, he came to us as goal kicker but doesn't seem to want to get hold of a shot at the moment?

Luckily Wright and Murphy are reliable, I think we need to generate a few more goals through blokes like them, Sumner and Lamb.

Wasn't that impressed with Lamb yesterday, on TV it looked like he failed to compete a couple of times, unforgivable but I'll reserve judgment until I can read an eyewitness report. At AFL level competing is not optional, the minute opposition see you hesitate to compete you are cooked, they will construct that scenario around you time after time. But then again, Betts was like this for the first few years of his career, and look at him now!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #111
Good to see Daisy finally start putting few good games together.
20+ touches and 3 goals last week... 30+ touches and a goal this week...
Finally got his body right and we re starting to see a bit of return for our big investment.

A player who wasn't really spoken about much pre season when talking about our young kids coming through, was Casey Byrne. Have been mighty impressed by his attack on the footy and dash out of defense the last few weeks. Reckon this kid has the potential to be something very special. Look forward to the day Ciaran Sheehan plays alongside Casey and Zach 2E... Would it be some sort of record to have 3 Irishman in the same senior AFL side at the same time ?

Bolts seems to have transformed our defense overnight, with young guns in Weiters, Mr Plow and Casey all showing us what we can look forward to down there for the next 10 years.

Reply #112
Good to see Daisy finally start putting few good games together.
20+ touches and 3 goals last week... 30+ touches and a goal this week...
Finally got his body right and we re starting to see a bit of return for our big investment.

A player who wasn't really spoken about much pre season when talking about our young kids coming through, was Casey Byrne. Have been mighty impressed by his attack on the footy and dash out of defense the last few weeks. Reckon this kid has the potential to be something very special.

Can't wait for him to get his sea legs.

His natural instinct is to run. Watch him, he want to run all the time but he's being very team oriented .
It will happen though, he's just got to get the balance right.

Look out after about 35 games.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #113
We had to watch Warnock and Hampson for several years, we just get excited when a ruckman takes a mark. And can kick.

X 2  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #114

His natural instinct is to run. Watch him, he want to run all the time but he's being very team oriented .

It'd be nice if Tuohy follows suit with Byrne and they both start pushing hard into the attacking zones. Then if Sheehan comes in we could end up with three really significant running HBFs. Sheehan's ball use is a class above the other two if he can get himself fit.

Byrne with some experience looks a likely option to give Cripps a chop out. Byrne is certainly cool and calm in traffic, is good at ground level and strong overhead. Has a lot more pace than Crippa as well! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #115

x2. He just looks a little unconventional the way he moves and those high socks make him look less like a 'conventional' modern footballer ;D

But who cares the guy is composed and cool under any sort of pressure. Big call but this kid will be beside Doc and Weiters for the next 10 years IMO.

Hasn't even played 10 games!     

Reply #116
Must say, isn't a pleasure to hear and read generally positive stuff about the Blues, 6 games into a season! All the more pleasurable, when you think of the contrast with Filthmond. We are doing everything we realistically hoped to - they are doing everything they delusionally thought they wouldn't. Great stuff!

Reply #117
with all those forward entries, imagine if we had waite and betts

Reply #118
with all those forward entries, imagine if we had waite and betts

The irony is if we made better decisions we probably didn't need them. We must have burned four or five easy goals yesterday by not doing the right thing at the right time, taking pot shots rather than creating goals for team-mates, and failing to take the game on(hesitating). We are creating opportunities, we just need to be better at using them.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #119
The irony is if we made better decisions we probably didn't need them. We must have burned four or five easy goals yesterday by not doing the right thing at the right time, taking pot shots rather than creating goals for team-mates, and failing to take the game on(hesitating). We are creating opportunities, we just need to be better at using them.

Dead right. Those missed opportunities, especially the really easy ones,  can be very energy sapping but at least we didn't let that happen and fold up as we may have done in past years.
Reality always wins in the end.