Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs. Essendon (Read 32678 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs. Essendon

Reply #45
Don't watch the game closely do you. What do you expect, the worst most movement and delivery in the comp and you expect key forwards to rack up goals from bombs surrounded by 4000 defenders. You must expect miracle workers to play key position forward for us.
+1 hundred billion on that

I think the irony is that when I see Jones and Casboult working the hardest its when they don't get the ball, but when they get the ball for either a set shot or quick snap they do fork it up quite badly.

Team selection against the pies will be interesting. If they go in with Cox, Moore and maybe Cloke we can't rely on Plowman and White to get the job done. Plowman is good but its a big ask to have him always give away that much height. He's a good match up for Howe though. Up forward, well there are problems lets face it. But are Everitt and Jaksch really better options than Jones right now? And what if Walker and Curnow are right to go?

Again, lets not lose sight of the fact it was a poor game - BUT WE BEAT THE BOMBERS!!!!! and I for one intend to stick it to some Essendon supporter friends tomorrow who haven't held back in recent years and even in the pre-season. It just goes to show, (drug) cheats never prosper  :)

Reply #46
Armfield, Docherty, Byrne, Wright, Curnow, these guys are grunt players, and they all did well today.

We lacked speed today, hopefully Boekhurst gets back in.

No forwards, but we kicked enough. Once the wind died, things got better.

Crap game to watch though until the 4th.

go baggers

Reply #47
I was driving home from a weekend market listening to the game via the app on my phone, got out of the car 10-mins into the last. It all sounded like a complete borefest with plenty of fumbles and mega-low scoring.

Got to watch the match from late in the third due to some weird delayed telecast on 7Mate and didn't change my opinion whilst watching.

During this time, I didn't like what I saw from Casboult whilst Jones, Graham & Lamb annoyed me at times plus seeing Weitering with his arm in a sling pissed me right off.

Plowman is such a smart player, extremely dependable and miserly, Thomas looked like a new man, Murphy was inspiring and the two rucks (Kreuzer & Phillips) really wanted to be part of a winning team.

The one thing that really stood out to me was that all of the team were playing for each other, they are a 'team' now in the truest sense of the word. Bolton's hard work is not going unnoticed.

Hard to believe that we are in 14th slot on the ladder but I'll enjoy it whilst it lasts.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #48
Very painful game to watch at the ground. Plowman has a bit of the Andrew Mackies about him looks composed etc. Philips is looking better each week and clunking marks and one that looks promising, while Kreuzer stlll jumps at the ball like when he was 18 and still doesn't know how to use his body.

Reply #49
Id make three changes

Out: weitering, casboult, sumner
In: Dick, Jaksch, DVR

Has to be Cripps and Curnow for starters.

Loved Byrnes game today. He takes it on and had no fear AND he hits targets.

Reply #50
Jones I thought did enough to hold his spot. Chased, got involved and I think you can see his confidence growing

Agree, didnt do much in the air but was handy at ground level and got a few handpasses away...
Jaksch might come in for Weitering but he wont replace Jones at FF...

Reply #51
Sumner?

I think Sumner has been ok and has got both Buckley and Boekhorst covered ..bit more robust than the other two, better contested mark and bobs up with the
odd goal...no reason to drop him IMO and he has been value in the 4 for 1 deal which was essentially about Plowman..

Reply #52
Agree, didnt do much in the air but was handy at ground level and got a few handpasses away...
Jaksch might come in for Weitering but he wont replace Jones at FF...
I was impressed with the speed and aggression that Jones used when he chased. I have never seen anything like that from him before this year. He really put some good pressure on.
On the other hand, I didn't see him leading much. But when we got the about the 50 m line, we forgot everything that got the ball there in the first place!

Casboult took some nice marks, but ..... I don't want to write it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #53
Aside from what happened in the forward 50, we controlled the game pretty well. Poor kicking in the 2nd qtr meant a 2 goal lead instead of a 5-6 goal lead.

Defensively we seem to set up well, just miles ahead of some of the rubbish we dished up last year. Plowman looks very solid and composed, Byrne backed up last week and looks the goods.

We might have found a decent ruckman in Phillips... has plenty to go, but he took some ripping marks today and slotted one from 50.  The GWS connection had a good day today.

Reply #54
Loved Byrnes game today. He takes it on and had no fear AND he hits targets.
Yes, had the ball on a string early. A good 4 qtr effort for a 4  gamer.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
Nick Graham....like to know what others thought of his game today...I wasnt that impressed even though he won a bit of the ball I thought he looked slow and doesnt get much value from his disposals. contests ok but there is something missing in his game IMO.
You can be slow and think quick ie Mitchell, Diesel but NG thinks too slow IMO and I have doubts about his future as we move forward....

Reply #56
Phillips' goal in the last was a beauty under pressure. He has a year or two to mature and he'll be very good.

Reply #57
I think Sumner has been ok and has got both Buckley and Boekhorst covered ..bit more robust than the other two, better contested mark and bobs up with the
odd goal...no reason to drop him IMO and he has been value in the 4 for 1 deal which was essentially about Plowman..
While neither Sumner nor Lamb had big days today, they some very nice things and I liked the way they but on pressure in the forward line. While both Buckley and Boekhorst have their positives, neither tends to be as physical , as Elwood noted above.
What we really need is an Eddie Betts type of player who can make a goal out of nothing and who can read the pack well enough to get crumbing goals. Neither Sumner nor Lamb have done much of that yet, but we don't have anyone to fill that role.
We REALLY need a small forward who can kick the impossible goals: it gives our forward line so much more potential.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #58
Nick Graham....like to know what others thought of his game today...I wasnt that impressed even though he won a bit of the ball I thought he looked slow and doesnt get much value from his disposals. contests ok but there is something missing in his game IMO.
You can be slow and think quick ie Mitchell, Diesel but NG thinks too slow IMO and I have doubts about his future as we move forward....
I wasnt overly impressed with him either, I'd give him a 5/10, was very bad early but improved as the game went on. Too slow for mine, can come in and fill a gap but thats about it. Still reckon he is a VFL player at best. Has time on his hands so who knows.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #59
I was impressed with the speed and aggression that Jones used when he chased. I have never seen anything like that from him before this year. He really put some good pressure on.
On the other hand, I didn't see him leading much. But when we got the about the 50 m line, we forgot everything that got the ball there in the first place!

Casboult took some nice marks, but ..... I don't want to write it.

I think Casboult provided the only lead for the day, and it was honoured!  Our delivery inside 50 is still a work in progress.

I never thought Jones would play again at AFL level but I think he has earned his spot for another week and will keep it as long as he continues to present and chase hard.  Slotting a goal or two won't go astray.

Interestingly, Casboult's field kicking is pretty good as is his goal kicking at training.  If I was his goal kicking coach, I would insist that he keeps his mouthguard in when he lines up for a shot at goal.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball