Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs. Essendon (Read 32684 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs. Essendon

Reply #60
Phillips' goal in the last was a beauty under pressure. He has a year or two to mature and he'll be very good.

I liked what I saw of him at GWS and was pretty happy when we got him. I think he will eventually overtake Kreuzer. Not sure what that would mean for Kreuzer though cos he isn't a forward but we won't play him in the VFL..

Reply #61
Liked BBs comment that we have the ability to make the simple look difficult! Pretty much sums up so much of how we're going at present.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #62
Nick Graham....like to know what others thought of his game today...I wasnt that impressed even though he won a bit of the ball I thought he looked slow and doesnt get much value from his disposals. contests ok but there is something missing in his game IMO.
You can be slow and think quick ie Mitchell, Diesel but NG thinks too slow IMO and I have doubts about his future as we move forward....

I actually thought it was one of his better games for the year, definitely had more impact than other weeks.

But he needs to do more.

Reply #63
Nick Graham....like to know what others thought of his game today...I wasnt that impressed even though he won a bit of the ball I thought he looked slow and doesnt get much value from his disposals. contests ok but there is something missing in his game IMO.
You can be slow and think quick ie Mitchell, Diesel but NG thinks too slow IMO and I have doubts about his future as we move forward....

Got some more space in the last quarter which was his best. The goal he missed in the third was an absolute shocker. Overall doesn't do enough to impact the game and I suspect will be dropped for Cripps.

Reply #64
I actually thought it was one of his better games for the year, definitely had more impact than other weeks.

But he needs to do more.

I though Graham was pretty good today.  If there's an area where he needs to improve, it's his response to be tackled.  He's not greased lightning and should be anticipating being tackled every time he gets the ball.  He needs to work on keeping his arms free so that he can fire off a handpass when tackled.

On the other side of the coin, his tackling is effective.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65
I don't care much for bagging a winning team, especially given we know exactly where we're headed, and that we're only on first base.

I enjoyed:
- Byrne managing solid back to back performances.
- Daisy, likewise. Not only dangerous around goals, but great around the ground. He finally looks fit and gaining confidence in his body (@80% at one point)
- Seniors stood up for a second week. Murphy - topped off with another captain's goal. Gibbs - just solid, dug in with 10 clearances and no Cripps.
- Wright, nice. Notched up a couple for number 100. Congratulations.
- Plow and Phillips look to be core part of new Carlton.

In all, remained competitive for 4 quqrters again (remember that was team focus just a couple of weeks ago - big tick). Had a couple of patches of really flowing play where we made good decisions AND hit targets.

No matter how ugly it gets, winners are grinners. Enjoy the bragging rights Bluebaggers.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #66
Not sold on Graham.  He tackled hard and did the in an under stuff but he has the Benticks about him when he has the ball in hand.  Some real lazy disposals from him and his shot on goal was laughable.

I was at the game and I have to say that second quarter was inexcusably horrible.  So bad it needed a laugh track.  Even when we had half decent ball movement we saw the big stick and completely lost our crap.

Jones second and third efforts were very good.  Especially his chasing.  I just wish he had a clue when leading out, though as pointed out, there was very little lace our footy today.

Thomas was fantastic.  Gibbs is an outside player, but was instrumental in setting up play for us.  Simmo was the general.  Plowman did a great job given he'd lost his wingman in Weiters.  Rowe was serviceable on Daniher, but my God does he stuff things up at ground level.  Sumner and Lamb did their bit.  Phillips finally showed something, was astonished by the goal.  Wright not bad but should have kicked three.  Kerridge had an excellent third term but like Murphy was in and out of the game.  Curnow was very good.

Overall I'll take the four points.  And the last quarter we stood up when were challenged.  It will be interesting to contrast this game to Round 23 to see if we've swallowed BB's message.

And my five year old got to sing the song. So there's that.

Reply #67
Where is the vote thread, get it up now before I find a reason not to give Daisy BOG!

You know, the spud has-been can't run, can't kick, can't get the ball!

If only we had he and McLean, two footballers in one team FFS!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
Happy to see another win for the season. Still some work to go with Bolton and his coaching group. While there are things to like, there are many things to improve on. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #69
Happy to see another win for the season. Still some work to go with Bolton and his coaching group. While there are things to like, there are many things to improve on. ;)

Very nice to see you again Mantis. Hope all is well.

Reply #70
haven't made up my mind on Sumner yet - but 8-9 touches and a couple of tackles + goal every week is that enough?

I'd like to see what DVR brings to the table.

Sumner was very average apart from a handy goal, hardly got involved in the game at all.
I agree about DVR, he's getting plenty of it in the VFL so we might as well see what he's got to offer, by all accounts he can actually kick the ball as well so he's ahead of a few of them.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #71
Very nice to see you again Mantis. Hope all is well.

All is well buddy. Going through a seperation and missing the kids heaps but happy to be out of the life I was in. Hence why I have been quite this year. Watched the game today and have concerns about our poor kicking for goal which has been a problem for years. I'm sure Bolton knows what he needs to do to address all our issues. Watched him completely spit the dummy in the box a few times during the game. Welcome to building a new team Bolts.  ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #72
I wish I had been at "The G" today, I could have gone all Bruce Lee on those Cheating Scum supporters as they left the great Colosseum!

I might have been watching a bit too much SBS 2 this weekend! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
All is well buddy. Going through a seperation and missing the kids heaps but happy to be out of the life I was in. Hence why I have been quite this year. Watched the game today and have concerns about our poor kicking for goal which has been a problem for years. I'm sure Bolton knows what he needs to do to address all our issues. Watched him completely spit the dummy in the box a few times during the game. Welcome to building a new team Bolts.  ;)

Oh, yukko. Sorry to hear that matey. Hopefully this is for the best, and hopefully we'll see you around here more often.

Chin up buddy.

Reply #74
I wish I had been at "The G" today, I could have gone all Bruce Lee on those Cheating Scum supporters as they left the great Colosseum!

I might have been watching a bit too much SBS 2 this weekend! :o
lmfao
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time