Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs. Essendon (Read 32753 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 6: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs. Essendon

Reply #90
Considering our Clearance beast was out, our Rising star went down injured (in a courageous 2-1 effort to prevent a goal), and we have our share of injuries. I was encouraged that 9 players registered majors and that didn't include our big Levi. Had we got some of the "gettable" misses (? effect of winds), and we don't look nearly as bad as a year ago.

Just maybe Bolts is building some resilience into our list - no mean feat IMO :))

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #91
Considering our Clearance beast was out, our Rising star went down injured (in a courageous 2-1 effort to prevent a goal), and we have our share of injuries. I was encouraged that 9 players registered majors and that didn't include our big Levi. Had we got some of the "gettable" misses (? effect of winds), and we don't look nearly as bad as a year ago.

Just maybe Bolts is building some resilience into our list - no mean feat IMO :))

Go Blues

Yes LN, Bolts is busy this year laying the solid foundations on which we can build our future. I'm very excited about it so far.  ^-^
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #92

Go Blues

I reckon he will trade out Casboult at seasons end. An incredible contested mark who cannot convert is a liability.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #93

I don't think it's all that difficult if you know what you're doing.

Despite people bleating about how bad our list is, it's really not that bad.  The challenge is to turn around bad habits and get them to execute a competitive gameplan.  I think that Bolton excels in teaching footballers how to be their best by working together and we're just starting to see the benefits of his approach.  One thing that's really struck me this season is how we've really worked hard at trying to follow Bolton's gameplan.  The execution may be lacking at times but the endeavour hasn't dropped off, no matter what the score is.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #94
Bolts has exposed Malthouse as a fool. Passed his use by date.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #95
I think our forward issues are due to the team defence, as everyone is so busy running back to plug gaps when we have the ball in possession 1 out of 2 times are forwards are running towards goals themselves. I think once this is worked out we will look much better and kick more goals.

Contested marks and conversion in our forward 50 a major concern.

Reply #96
We get the ball in our forward 50 a lot and in good one on one positions and having a lot of shots on goals and lots of on the fulls.

Reply #97
We get the ball in our forward 50 a lot and in good one on one positions and having a lot of shots on goals and lots of on the fulls.

We didn't slice them up as we should have inside F50. too often we bombed it in instead of lowering the eyes and picking a leading target.

Reply #98
We didn't slice them up as we should have inside F50. too often we bombed it in instead of lowering the eyes and picking a leading target.

I think we did this sometimes, just didn't kick to advantage. Noticed this at least twice with Kruezer who isn't the quickest out there and really shouldn't be playing forward

Reply #99
What gets me with our forward line is that yesterday, the amount of time that Jones, Boult and Kruezer went up for the same ball.  It did my head.   They virtually all spoilled each other.  Any chance that htey can lead in different directions to open up the forward line a bit.  Bloody.  Schoolbiy stuff at times.

Reply #100
What gets me with our forward line is that yesterday, the amount of time that Jones, Boult and Kruezer went up for the same ball.  It did my head.   They virtually all spoilled each other.  Any chance that htey can lead in different directions to open up the forward line a bit.  Bloody.  Schoolbiy stuff at times.

^ this

Reply #101
Aside from what happened in the forward 50, we controlled the game pretty well. Poor kicking in the 2nd qtr meant a 2 goal lead instead of a 5-6 goal lead.

Defensively we seem to set up well, just miles ahead of some of the rubbish we dished up last year. Plowman looks very solid and composed, Byrne backed up last week and looks the goods.

We might have found a decent ruckman in Phillips... has plenty to go, but he took some ripping marks today and slotted one from 50.  The GWS connection had a good day today.

Haven't seen the game yet but listened to a lot of it.....reckon if we'd taken the chances in Q2, EFC would have dropped the bundle and we would have won by 50 odd.

We'll learn from it.

Sounds like Gibbs, Thomas, Murph, Phillips were stand outs?

Any updates on young Weitering?

Cripps in next week or not?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #102
Haven't seen the game yet but listened to a lot of it.....reckon if we'd taken the chances in Q2, EFC would have dropped the bundle and we would have won by 50 odd.

We'll learn from it.

Sounds like Gibbs, Thomas, Murph, Phillips were stand outs?

Any updates on young Weitering?

Cripps in next week or not?

I wouldn't say Phillips was a stand out, although his goal was outstanding.  He only had 60% game time but took some nice marks, as did Kreuzer.

It was a fairly even performance, with everyone playing a part.  My best players were Gibbs, Thomas, Murphy, Curnow, Simpson and Docherty.  Rowe was solid, Byrne continued on from last week, Kerridge had an impact, Armfield worked his butt off, White did his job, Casboult marked everything but kicked poorly (field kicking was good), Jones tried hard but we made damn hard work of it.  Of course, there's nothing wrong with winning ugly :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #103
Looking at the votes surprised at the lack thereof for Kerridge. Can't see how he wasn't in the top 6.

Perhaps everyone has just set the bar higher for him which is a testament to his year to date, I would dare say he has been our most consistent contributor over the 6 week period (plus preseason).

Super value trade Kerridge and 28 for Menzel. Menzel just didnt do enough and with such a lack of pace the ball came out of our forward line even quicker then it does currently!

Thomas and Gibbs probably best 2 on the ground.

Plowman progressing well, I would like to see him start becoming a bit more offensive as he gets used to playing in the 1s.

Sumner and Lamb do some great things when they get the ball, but both just don't get enough of it. Don't think we can carry both of them in the one team unless they start finding more pill.

Reply #104
Aside from what happened in the forward 50, we controlled the game pretty well. Poor kicking in the 2nd qtr meant a 2 goal lead instead of a 5-6 goal lead.

Defensively we seem to set up well, just miles ahead of some of the rubbish we dished up last year. Plowman looks very solid and composed, Byrne backed up last week and looks the goods.

We might have found a decent ruckman in Phillips... has plenty to go, but he took some ripping marks today and slotted one from 50.  The GWS connection had a good day today.

And a great tackle on Fantasia to prevent a certain goal in the last 1/4.