Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 3 NBs vs Collingwood  (Read 16310 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 3 NBs vs Collingwood

Reply #45
Agree....Kerr reminds me of a taller Josh Caddy, not a lot of style but lots of presence,as Jim said though very hard to play them all and he will remain backup only
until we get injuries or the coaches box want a different approach, still keen to see him tried down back.

Funny you mention Caddy. I was thinking maybe Kennedy could play a Caddy-type role for us. Quite good overhead for his size.

He's not quick but neither is Caddy.

Reply #46
Sorry for having an opinion you dont agree with, if you read what I said he will remain backup only.....
I wasnt actually agreeing or disagreeing with you. Just pointing out we have a guy playing well who can't get into the side.... And that's not something we've had for quite a while.

Maybe you should've read what I said before jumping on your high horse?  :P

Reply #47
You can like him all you want. But is simply isn't good enough (at this stage) to push anyone, forward or back, out of the side.
It's a good problem to have, and a foreign one to us this century.

Yes, we’ve finally got genuine depth, even if it is quite shallow in relation to that of the power clubs.

I think that there has to be a point where Kerr comes in to the 22 to replace an injured or underperforming key forward.  There also has to be a point where Kerr overtakes Casboult as the preferred second ruck/tall forward replacement option.  He just has to maintain the form he has brought to the first two VFL games.

Another player who has been impressive is Hugh Goddard.  I know that some folk were unhappy with us taking a “St Kilda reject” but it seems to me that injury prevented St Kilda from getting the best out of young Hugh.

As with Kerr, it is difficult to see who Goddard could displace but he does provide a genuine option for a key defender role if needed.  Another astute selection by SOS that proves beyond doubt that he knows more about list management than the collective CSC brains trust  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #48
Yes, we’ve finally got genuine depth, even if it is quite shallow in relation to that of the power clubs.

I think that there has to be a point where Kerr comes in to the 22 to replace an injured or underperforming key forward.  There also has to be a point where Kerr overtakes Casboult as the preferred second ruck/tall forward replacement option.  He just has to maintain the form he has brought to the first two VFL games.

Another player who has been impressive is Hugh Goddard.  I know that some folk were unhappy with us taking a “St Kilda reject” but it seems to me that injury prevented St Kilda from getting the best out of young Hugh.

As with Kerr, it is difficult to see who Goddard could displace but he does provide a genuine option for a key defender role if needed.  Another astute selection by SOS that proves beyond doubt that he knows more about list management than the collective CSC brains trust  :)

Was down the pecking order and wasnt going to get a game there.  He fell off the list more through timing than anything else.  St. Kilda were going to jag a king in the draft to take his spot and let him go.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #49
Funny you mention Caddy. I was thinking maybe Kennedy could play a Caddy-type role for us. Quite good overhead for his size.

He's not quick but neither is Caddy.

Take your point on Kennedy ,...Caddy is a nasty unit and a very good converter, not sure Matt has that nasty capability
in his makeup and would need to improve his kicking but i think he does need another string to his bow and maybe some time in a different position might help him out.
Given our midfield depth he is going to struggle to get games unless we get a lot of injuries IMO, I wonder if his tweeting indiscretion kept him out of this weeks team as I thought he
was a monty to be picked in the team vs the Dogs who are very competitive around the ball.

Reply #50
I went along to the game - old Vic Park was a good place to watch a very competitive game. Big shout out to the Northern player #80 (Keppel, I presume - a tall robust player) who took two powerful overhead marks to repel the Pies' final 2 attacks in the last minute/s of the game.

Kennedy might have had the most possessions but he did stuff all with them. He looks faster than last year but is still a very slow player who always seems to be under pressure (or being tackled) when he gets the ball so most of his disposals are ineffective hand-passes and scrubby kicks - hard to believe he was a 1st round draft pick. Nick Graham was a better footballer.

Ruck contests were interesting in that the Pies' #45 absolutely dominated against Lobbe, who did most of the 1st half ruckwork, but Phillips jumped all over the top of him and was instrumental in the Blues' win.

Goddard looked quite good overhead (marking and spoiling), is a nice left foot kick and seems to play with a fair bit of poise. He followed Ben Reid wherever he went but was lucky Reid missed some relatively easy goals.

Kerr was effective and should have kicked a couple more goals. However, to me he seems to be a one trick pony - good mark on the lead but not so good overhead unless the ball is kicked to his advantage and lacks mobility when the ball hits the ground.

Stocker was disappointing for a player who cost us so much in the drafting - many of his disposals were as the designated kicker after a behind - he is a beautiful kick but so was Matthew Watson and Stocker didn't seem to have a lot else going for him - no great speed.

Macreadie played well at half back but frequently found himself at full back where he was more limited.

Williamson was possibly our best player over the game for his poise, decision making, decisiveness in marking contests, his penetrating kicking and run through the lines from half-back.

Ben Silvagni followed Goldsack around (mostly at half-back) and kept him quiet. Taller, faster, more athletic, a better mark and a much better kick that Jack. Might take a little time but looks okay.

Cottrell and Owies played on the wings. Cottrell did some nice things and seems to have better size and pace than Owies, who doesn't seem quick enough for a player his size.

Lang was much the same as last year - disappointing and not a strong player.

Garlett was similarly unimpressive but looked more interested than Lang.

Fasolo had only a handful of possessions that I can recall but he kicked an excellent goal and twice hit the leading Kerr, lace out. Too slow to provide any small forward tackling pressure (unless someone runs into him) but if he stops trying to do what he was once able to do and plays within his limitations, I think he could still have something to offer around the goals. 

Reply #51
I went along to the game - old Vic Park was a good place to watch a very competitive game. Big shout out to the Northern player #80 (Keppel, I presume - a tall robust player) who took two powerful overhead marks to repel the Pies' final 2 attacks in the last minute/s of the game.

Kennedy might have had the most possessions but he did stuff all with them. He looks faster than last year but is still a very slow player who always seems to be under pressure (or being tackled) when he gets the ball so most of his disposals are ineffective hand-passes and scrubby kicks - hard to believe he was a 1st round draft pick. Nick Graham was a better footballer.

Ruck contests were interesting in that the Pies' #45 absolutely dominated against Lobbe, who did most of the 1st half ruckwork, but Phillips jumped all over the top of him and was instrumental in the Blues' win.

Goddard looked quite good overhead (marking and spoiling), is a nice left foot kick and seems to play with a fair bit of poise. He followed Ben Reid wherever he went but was lucky Reid missed some relatively easy goals.

Kerr was effective and should have kicked a couple more goals. However, to me he seems to be a one trick pony - good mark on the lead but not so good overhead unless the ball is kicked to his advantage and lacks mobility when the ball hits the ground.

Stocker was disappointing for a player who cost us so much in the drafting - many of his disposals were as the designated kicker after a behind - he is a beautiful kick but so was Matthew Watson and Stocker didn't seem to have a lot else going for him - no great speed.

Macreadie played well at half back but frequently found himself at full back where he was more limited.

Williamson was possibly our best player over the game for his poise, decision making, decisiveness in marking contests, his penetrating kicking and run through the lines from half-back.

Ben Silvagni followed Goldsack around (mostly at half-back) and kept him quiet. Taller, faster, more athletic, a better mark and a much better kick that Jack. Might take a little time but looks okay.

Cottrell and Owies played on the wings. Cottrell did some nice things and seems to have better size and pace than Owies, who doesn't seem quick enough for a player his size.

Fasolo had only a handful of possessions that I can recall but he kicked an excellent goal and twice hit the leading Kerr, lace out. Too slow to provide any small forward tackling pressure (unless someone runs into him) but if he stops trying to do what he was once able to do and plays within his limitations, I think he could still have something to offer around the goals.

Thanks RiverRat.

Very sobering reading. 

Hopefully there's more than Williamson and macreadie as only Williamson really gives us something we dont have already.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
Great, in depth review RR. Thanks for that. Some disturbing reading it has to be said.

Reply #53
Thanks a lot, RR. Great stuff.
My comments in colour.
I went along to the game - old Vic Park was a good place to watch a very competitive game. Big shout out to the Northern player #80 (Keppel, I presume - a tall robust player) who took two powerful overhead marks to repel the Pies' final 2 attacks in the last minute/s of the game. Yeah, 80 is Keppel and he shows a bit.

Kennedy might have had the most possessions but he did stuff all with them. He looks faster than last year but is still a very slow player who always seems to be under pressure (or being tackled) when he gets the ball so most of his disposals are ineffective hand-passes and scrubby kicks - hard to believe he was a 1st round draft pick. Nick Graham was a better footballer. This is the most disappointing thing I've read here. I had hopes for Kennedy.

Ruck contests were interesting in that the Pies' #45 absolutely dominated against Lobbe, who did most of the 1st half ruckwork, but Phillips jumped all over the top of him and was instrumental in the Blues' win. This is not so bad. I know Lobbe's limitations. I am very glad the Phillips came to party when it was required.

Goddard looked quite good overhead (marking and spoiling), is a nice left foot kick and seems to play with a fair bit of poise. He followed Ben Reid wherever he went but was lucky Reid missed some relatively easy goals. Pace? That was my worry after his injuries. He wasn't that slow as an U18, but... I think he is a chance.

Stocker was disappointing for a player who cost us so much in the drafting - many of his disposals were as the designated kicker after a behind - he is a beautiful kick but so was Matthew Watson and Stocker didn't seem to have a lot else going for him - no great speed. This is the biggest disappointment from me. I was hoping that Stocker would have the answer to some of our problems.

Macreadie played well at half back but frequently found himself at full back where he was more limited. I like him further up the ground.

Williamson was possibly our best player over the game for his poise, decision making, decisiveness in marking contests, his penetrating kicking and run through the lines from half-back. This is most promising.

Ben Silvagni followed Goldsack around (mostly at half-back) and kept him quiet. Taller, faster, more athletic, a better mark and a much better kick that Jack. Might take a little time but looks okay. Good news as well.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #54
Will be interesting to see how Fraser saw the game when his comments come out later in the week.

Reply #55

Good stuff, Ye Rat O' the River, but I'd expect nothing less young fella  ;) :D
Disappointing that Kennedy is a long way off what we expected to get. Ditto Lang.
Wrapped to read your comments on Willo.

Now to the burning question, the imperative question... did you sample the pies at ol' Vic Park, and did I miss anything if so... ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #56
One food outlet..... and no pies!!! High end burgers, bratwurst sausage and other fancy fare, but not a pie in sight.

Reply #57

That's all I want to hear! Big, big fan of Tom's.

Kennedy - to suggest Graham is a better player is pure stupidity.

I would imagine he's been copping flak from ALL quarters re his Folau guffaw....his head would be a mess (and why he's not playing 1s). Cut him some slack.

Stocker - 19yo in his second outing with the big boys....again, slack needed!

Great win, almost got there :(
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
One food outlet..... and no pies!!! High end burgers, bratwurst sausage and other fancy fare, but not a pie in sight.

:)) :)) :)) tragic news, glad I didn't go though it would have been good to see the gutsy win and have a chin wag with RR, who probably saw there were no pies and thought to himself, 'Well, bugger all chance Baggers will turn up today!! :).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #59

Just gotta pull you up on this point. Currently he hasn't cost us anything.

All it cost us is swapping our first round pick with adelaide this year.

Absolute worst case scenario it means we swap pick 1 to pick 18.....and get stocker.
Best case scenario it means we swapped pick 18 for pick 1....and get stocker.

Reality will be somewhere in the middle.

Early days, sure, but if we win today, and adelaide lose, we jump them on the ladder and have actually IMPROVED our position in the draft, and got Stocker for free.

So the 'cost' is something we won't find out until end of the year....and even then, they might be 'paying' us.