Skip to main content
Topic: 2015-Rnd 6 Carlton vs Brisbane (Preview) (Read 92562 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015-Rnd 6 Carlton vs Brisbane (Preview)

Reply #90
The thuggery in WA Amateur football was cleared up in a season with the introduction of the send off rule about 25 years ago.

They've tweaked it a bit now into a card system, but still a great innovation.

Works OK in the VAFA, yellow, red and black cards. I think yellow is off for 12 minutes, and red is off for 12 minutes no replacement, black is off for the remainder of the game, reported and no replacement until 12 minutes has elapsed. Or something like that.

The AFL could do this in conjunction with the video ref as a safe guard to an obvious error and to confirm the level of the penalty!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
A send off rule has some merits but is also diluted in its effect in a game with 18 on the park. It is also difficult to enforce in the context of a contact sport where there is great variation in the nature of contacts. For example in soccer the difference between a foul and an action worthy of a yellow or red card tends to be clearer.

Further complicating the picture is the manner in which reports are determined,  including concepts of intent and the degree of impact. A send off rule would make this even more complex, with a high degree of subjectivity involved.

The application of discretion by the umpire would be difficult when the range of penalties are expanded by the addition of a send off rule.  It increases the area of grey.

I think it works at an amateur level and elevates the umpires with some more authority and clout. At league level, with TV cameras on, it may be less useful.

Reply #92
Agree cookie - Lethal is good.

Nick Maxwell is actually good to listen to on SEN..insightful, easy voice and doesn't bluster..just calmly talks and that's it..I really enjoyed it compared to the kids on Triple M.
Keep the Faith

Reply #93
Nick Maxwell is actually good to listen to on SEN..insightful, easy voice and doesn't bluster..just calmly talks and that's it..I really enjoyed it compared to the kids on Triple M.

I don't listen to SEN, but Maxwell is occasionally an "expert commentator" on the games on TV, and I agree Woodstock. I can see why he was made Captain.

Reply #94
Maxwell is a good talker and has great knowledge.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #95
So you all reckon the fall out from last Friday nights beyond putrid effort was big, lose this week and its strap yourselves in and enjoy the ride. And I reckon we are just the mob to do it. :( #mothersdaymassacre

Reply #96
Leppa apologised for man handling one of his players this week - he looks shot. Brisbane are no chance, losing this would be a staggering result

Reply #98
The player involved sounds like a bit of a cocky punk, but still, that's no excuse for what Leppa did.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #99
Looks like SOP for frustrated coach with problem player... when I played I wished teh roach grabbed a couple of the seagulls I played with.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #100
So do we sack an experienced and capable coach in favour of going for a young coach like Leppitsch?

People are quick to point out where it worked, and gloss over where it hasnt, and I reckon our environment is too toxic for someone too inexperienced.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #101
So do we sack an experienced and capable coach in favour of going for a young coach like Leppitsch?

People are quick to point out where it worked, and gloss over where it hasnt, and I reckon our environment is too toxic for someone too inexperienced.

The two situations don't compare, Brisbane were traveling well when they got rid of Voss. If Mick had us thereabouts then it would be a fair argument to mount. If you want a comparison, look at where a coach has been failing dismally and been replaced.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #102
So you all reckon the fall out from last Friday nights beyond putrid effort was big, lose this week and its strap yourselves in and enjoy the ride. And I reckon we are just the mob to do it. :( #mothersdaymassacre
Given the issues in Brisbane with Leppitsch it will be more interesting than it already would have been. We had better turn up this week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #103
Given the issues in Brisbane with Leppitsch it will be more interesting than it already would have been. We had better turn up this week.

Yep. This will either be an embarrassing loss or a pretty meaningless win - either way we will still remain on Cold Comfort Farm.  :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #104
Yep. This will either be an embarrassing loss or a pretty meaningless win - either way we will still remain on Cold Comfort Farm.  :(

Yep...win and its wont change much but if we lose and say got hammered then I reckon Mick might be close to chucking it in like Carey suggested he would...