Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge Rd #3: Carlton vs. Geelong (Read 52296 times) previous topic - next topic

NAB Challenge Rd #3: Carlton vs. Geelong

This Sunday's game is our first time as the 'home' team for the year. Apparently Watson will be playing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: NAB Challenge Rd #3: Carlton vs. Geelong

Reply #1
This Sunday's game is our first time as the 'home' team for the year. Apparently Watson will be playing.

Yes I heard a grab of MM on the radio saying Watson was likely to return to the 1s.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
is there any chance of changing our game style eg kicking the ball to your leading team mate this has to be in focus all over the ground from fwd line to backline.Lets see how fit we really are.

Reply #3
is there any chance of changing our game style eg kicking the ball to your leading team mate this has to be in focus all over the ground from fwd line to backline.Lets see how fit we really are.

Games wouldn't be so exhausting for us if we didn't turn the ball over so much. We are our own worst enemies.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4

Games wouldn't be so exhausting for us if we didn't turn the ball over so much. We are our own worst enemies.

I agree with both of you.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #5
Here are the teams for NAB #3

Carlton v Geelong
Etihad Stadium, Sunday March 22, 4.10pm AEDT

Carlton
2. Troy Menzel, 3. Marc Murphy, 5. Chris Judd, 7. Dylan Buckley, 9. Patrick Cripps, 10. Matthew Watson, 12. Blaine Boekhorst, 13. Chris Yarran, 14. Liam Jones, 15. Sam Docherty, 17. Sam Rowe, 18. Kristian Jaksch, 22. Jason Tutt, 23. Lachie Henderson, 25. Clem Smith, 27. Dennis Armfield, 28. Tom Bell, 31. Matthew Dick, 33. Andrejs Everitt, 35. Ed Curnow, 36. Cameron Wood, 38. Ciaran Byrne, 39. Dale Thomas, 40. Michael Jamison, 42. Zach Tuohy, 43. Simon White, 44. Andrew Carrazzo

Geelong
3. Jimmy Bartel, 4. Andrew Mackie, 5. Nakia Cockatoo, 7. Harry Taylor, 9. James Kelly, 11. Darcy Lang, 13. Tom Lonergan, 14. Joel Selwood, 16. Dawson Simpson, 17. Hamish McIntosh, 18. Josh Cowan, 19. Mitch Clark, 20. Steve Johnson, 21. Jordan Murdoch, 22. Mitch Duncan, 23. Josh Caddy, 24. Jed Bews, 25. Jared Rivers, 26. Tom Hawkins, 27. Mathew Stokes, 28. Cory Gregson, 29. Cameron Guthrie, 32. Steven Motlop, 33. George Horlin-Smith, 39. Shane Kersten, 44. Corey Enright, 46. Mark Blicavs

From last week, Gibbs, Warnock, Casboult among others out.

In are Watson, Daisy, Wood, Dick, Buckley. No Ellard.

Surprisingly Byrne in ahead of Sheehan again, the club must really rate Byrne, he may even get a few early games in season proper !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #6
Here are the teams for NAB #3

Carlton v Geelong
Etihad Stadium, Sunday March 22, 4.10pm AEDT

Carlton
2. Troy Menzel, 3. Marc Murphy, 5. Chris Judd, 7. Dylan Buckley, 9. Patrick Cripps, 10. Matthew Watson, 12. Blaine Boekhorst, 13. Chris Yarran, 14. Liam Jones, 15. Sam Docherty, 17. Sam Rowe, 18. Kristian Jaksch, 22. Jason Tutt, 23. Lachie Henderson, 25. Clem Smith, 27. Dennis Armfield, 28. Tom Bell, 31. Matthew Dick, 33. Andrejs Everitt, 35. Ed Curnow, 36. Cameron Wood, 38. Ciaran Byrne, 39. Dale Thomas, 40. Michael Jamison, 42. Zach Tuohy, 43. Simon White, 44. Andrew Carrazzo

Geelong
3. Jimmy Bartel, 4. Andrew Mackie, 5. Nakia Cockatoo, 7. Harry Taylor, 9. James Kelly, 11. Darcy Lang, 13. Tom Lonergan, 14. Joel Selwood, 16. Dawson Simpson, 17. Hamish McIntosh, 18. Josh Cowan, 19. Mitch Clark, 20. Steve Johnson, 21. Jordan Murdoch, 22. Mitch Duncan, 23. Josh Caddy, 24. Jed Bews, 25. Jared Rivers, 26. Tom Hawkins, 27. Mathew Stokes, 28. Cory Gregson, 29. Cameron Guthrie, 32. Steven Motlop, 33. George Horlin-Smith, 39. Shane Kersten, 44. Corey Enright, 46. Mark Blicavs

From last week, Gibbs, Warnock, Casboult among others out.

In are Watson, Daisy, Wood, Dick, Buckley. No Ellard.

Surprisingly Byrne in ahead of Sheehan again, the club must really rate Byrne, he may even get a few early games in season proper !!

They probably need to promote Wood first given Kruezer is out and Warnock got a knock on the shoulder and is next to useless anyway...Byrne looks ok ...stylish player..

Reply #7
I think Sheehan is a known quantity. They want to see what Byrne is like, as he is not.
Personally, I rate Sheehan. I think he does a lot of good things. I have hopes for Byrne, but he needs to work on his kicking under pressure.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
I think Sheehan is a known quantity. They want to see what Byrne is like, as he is not.
Personally, I rate Sheehan. I think he does a lot of good things. I have hopes for Byrne, but he needs to work on his kicking under pressure.
Sheehan can kick the footy beautifully and is a bull. Reckon his future is bright.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9

I agree he is a known quantity, but if the club were thinking of giving him games early, I would have thought they would have him in now to get him up to speed and match hardened.
 I'm surprised Bryne is getting a senior game this week. It says to me, a little surprisingly that he may have even passed Sheehan in the pecking order. If Bryne ends up a better player than Sheehan then wow !!!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #10

I agree he is a known quantity, but if the club were thinking of giving him games early, I would have thought they would have him in now to get him up to speed and match hardened.
 I'm surprised Bryne is getting a senior game this week. It says to me, a little surprisingly that he may have even passed Sheehan in the pecking order. If Bryne ends up a better player than Sheehan then wow !!!
From memory, wasnt Byrne a gun/freak Gaelic footballer and it caused outrage in Ireland when he said he was leaving to play AFL?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
Correct. An absolute gun junior and there was disappointment he left Ireland so young.

I had concerns he might go back due to homesickness. Hope he sticks it out

Reply #12
Byrne is a goalkicker and a more stylish player than Sheehan I think the club see more upisde in him than Sheehan although Byrne still has a fair way to go and looks like he needs another season in the VFL and like Sheehan had last season he might play some senior games later in the year.

I couldnt find a spot for Sheehan in my best 22 but I still think he is a good player in the making and would expect him to force his way in as the season unfolds....lefties who kick well out of the backline are always value..

Reply #13
Both lads have a bright future, but we must keep in mind they are starting when others have been playing ten years. I expect they will need to be in the system for 4 to 5 years before the investment is returned.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Glad to see Watson back in the team. Would have preferred to see him in for Jones rather than Casboult though as Casboult's versatility in the ruck means he's more likely to feature in the season proper. Would have liked to see a Watson, Hendo, Casboult forward line in operation.

I know he has a lot of his detractors but I really like Watson as a forward. If he can mark anywhere within 60m of goal, he's a decent chance. We haven't got any other KPP's that bring that strength. Gives us the ability to play one of Hendo/Cas deep forward, one of them linking up towards the wing and Watson to roam the 50m line.