Skip to main content
Topic: Who stood up? (Read 23946 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Who stood up?

Reply #45
McKenna and Coleman really hurt us running loose from half back and we needed a bit more discipline from our forwards to prevent that.
Every time I saw the Irishman running loose I thought about that MC decision, he was basically left unchecked.

Not sure Owies could have gone with him for 4-qtrs, but he wouldn't have got his way so freely.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
Over the three finals
Walsh
Weiters
Doc
TDK
Newmy
Gov
Add Boyd (surprisingly to me) yesterday.

How could I forget Sherrif and Cotters.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
Yes, it seems a lot of people take my Owies / Motlop mistake comments as bashing Motlop, but it's not about Motlop being poor, it's about what Owies brings that Motlop doesn't, and Charlie and Harry suffer because of it.

The tell was early in the game when we were dominating, and Motlop and Martin were flying against Harry and Charlie instead of crumbing. Owies would have either been front and square, or drawing a defender away from the contest, not taking them to it!

LP. it raises the question: why were they flying for the mark against Harry and Charlie?  In the early matches of a season it is perhaps understandable, but at the end of the season it's just not on.  When it happened yesterday it looked as though Motlop and Martin had no idea of their roles on the forward line, hence my remark in an earlier posting about the lack of direction from the forward coach.

Reply #48
I questioned Marchbank over Kemp v Lions. Marchbank fumbled early on but improved across the 3 finals. Kemp held his own extremely well given the number of games he's played.

McG was another who grew into the series. Until he got pummelled last night that is 😠 (looked dangerous and he clearly suffered significantly)

Our wingers, led by the Sheriff, played important roles.

The real surprise for me was Boyd. He has improved as he's got more games, which is terrific. What I didn't expect was an almost faultless performance in a preliminary final. Given he's only played how many games for us?

How amazing to have 27 players in the finals series. Great result for the club 👏🏼
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #49
I questioned Marchbank over Kemp v Lions. Marchbank fumbled early on but improved across the 3 finals. Kemp held his own extremely well given the number of games he's played.

The real surprise for me was Boyd. He has improved as he's got more games, which is terrific. What I didn't expect was an almost faultless performance in a preliminary final. Given he's only played how many games for us?

Boyd could turn into a Sinclair/Coleman/Daniel type, and that is a clear missing piece to our defensive run.  Throw in Williams as well and the run out of our backline will certainly improve. 

That's the key to unlocking the Charlie and Harry double-headed mosnter - get the ball in deep and fast for lots on one-on-ones.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #50
I think with the list we have and the tactics we displayed so far, it's unlikely the fringe players get 24 games, it will become a horses for courses approach, finally we are in a list depth position to do it. For that reason I doubt and expect you won't get guys like Boyd, Fogarty, Kemp, Cincotta, Cottrell, Owies, Motlop, playing 24x7 throughout a season fit or otherwise. The MC will be judged on how well they are managed.

Fans often have messiah syndrome, they think somebody is going to front up and make all the difference. But the list  is built, the basics are in place, it all becomes a matter of incremental improvement, work ethic and some good luck. Many of the players who "stood up" did so because they were the right peg in the right hole on the day.

I'd have to say, it was the MCs strongest performance for the whole season, and that helped Boyd.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
With who stood up most of them did. They all contributed at some stage, some more than others. Some stood up big time. Hence why we got to week 3. We were dead man walking yesterday after such a brutally hard first 2 weeks.

Totally agree with this - I swear I saw wheelchairs on the bench at some stage, our boys had been beaten up over the past month or so and it showed on Saturday.

Disappointed, but not gutted. We had a great season and expectation for next year has increased 10 fold.