Skip to main content
Topic: The backline 2024 (Read 1902 times) previous topic - next topic

The backline 2024

Sammy Hamill has done a review of some of our defenders and, you wouldn't believe it, they're flying through the pre-season  :)

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1487430/2024-pre-season-report-card-defenders

Unfortunately, Sammy hasn't provided reports on Kemp, Williams, Young, tall Durdin, Marchbank and Cincotta.  I'm also keen to see whether Jaxson Binns is earmarked for a role in defence this season.

There's big shoes to fill with Weitering out in terms of his unbeatability in one on one contests, his ability to choose the right option when distributing the ball or rebounding from defence, and his generalship of the team in the back half.  I don't think any one player can do all of that and our defence will have to step up across the board.

If I was picking the team for "opening round", I would go with:

B:     Newman     Young      Williams
HB:  Saad            Kemp       McGovern
I/C:  Cincotta

I think the MC will go with:

B:     Newman     Marchbank      Williams
HB:  Saad            McGovern        Cincotta
I/C:  Boyd
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: The backline 2024

Reply #1
Without Weitering I think it will be Williams,  Marchbank,  Kemp, Saad,  McGovern, Newman and Boyd. Cincotta will be unlucky while Young, Durdin and Cowan are back up. While Wilson, Akui and Monaghan will still be developing. Looking at the names we are probably one short on the list so there is an opportunity for someone to step up.

Reply #2
For me its:
Saad Young Newman
Williams McGovern Marchbank

Kemp (INT)
Need a big fella to replace Weiters, has to be Young (assume his gremlins from last year are gone), I think we are exposed for size  in the backline without him. Marchbank, McGovern, Kemp all not big enough to cover for Weiters and they play different roles anyway.
Boyd and Cincotta to miss and fight for a spot, Williams is back and provides the elite kicking and running. One thing we would miss from Cincotta is his toughness, runs straight at the ball/man with no fear, likes the argy bargy and has a lot of kent in him. He ticks all the Voss boxes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Without Weitering I think it will be Williams,  Marchbank,  Kemp, Saad,  McGovern, Newman and Boyd. Cincotta will be unlucky while Young, Durdin and Cowan are back up. While Wilson, Akui and Monaghan will still be developing. Looking at the names we are probably one short on the list so there is an opportunity for someone to step up.

Monahan is a forward but Matthew Carroll is another developing defender.  Then there's Jaxson Binns, who I believe may play as a defender this season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
I think Boyd will play vs Brisbane after his good game on Bailey.
Young has to play FB, Daniher is too tall for our other defenders.

Reply #5

There is a lot of hope from supporters about young returning to the line-up, especially since weiters is down. With all the positive vibes from the club, I dint think I've read anything positive about young...we might need to temper out expectations of him.

Reply #6
There is a lot of hope from supporters about young returning to the line-up, especially since weiters is down. With all the positive vibes from the club, I dint think I've read anything positive about young...we might need to temper out expectations of him.
Going to require a big effort from players up the ground to limit the Lions forwards entries and probably our rucks might have to drop back a bit more than usual to help our defenders out. Got no doubt the Lions will try and squeeze an extra tall forward in to exploit Weiterings absence. Usually players lift with responsibility and Young is a capable player imo who I think can do the job, Id be more worried about the Richmond game if Lynch plays as he plays a more physical game than Daniher and I expect the Tigers to be a different proposition this season with a new coach and setup.

Reply #7

Young is very prominent in the photographs and footage of training and match sims. If he's outmarking our other talls and timing his spoils, as seems the case, then he should be back to his best. 

As mentioned above Sammy Hamill hasn't provided a report on Young, or Kemp, Williams, Nigel Durdin, Marchbank and Cincotta.

I guess we'll find out on Thursday morning.

Reply #8
Young is very prominent in the photographs and footage of training and match sims. If he's outmarking our other talls and timing his spoils, as seems the case, then he should be back to his best.
Firstly, let's hope so.

But without wanting sound cynical, what did Pagan call pre-season?

In pre-season I can take things seriously that are indisputably objective, body composition changes, time trials, etc., etc..

Winning one on one contests against team mates isn't objective, it's dancing with your sister!

In Rnd 1, when players can hear the footsteps are coming, and the crowd gasps in dread, then I'll take note of competitive form.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Firstly, let's hope so.

But without wanting sound cynical, what did Pagan call pre-season?

In pre-season I can take things seriously that are indisputably objective, body composition changes, time trials, etc., etc..

Winning one on one contests against team mates isn't objective, it's dancing with your sister!

In Rnd 1, when players can hear the footsteps are coming, and the crowd gasps in dread, then I'll take note of competitive form.

Yes, there's an element of truth to that but, when impartial observers describe our training and match sims as "brutal", it may not be all that sisterly.

As I wrote above, we'll find out on Thursday morning against a pretty good forward line ... even if there are some blokes missing.

Reply #10

Daniher and Hipwood will be too big to handle without Young or Durdin playing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
Cincotta and Boyd are better defenders than Zac Williams.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12

Good point about Boyd.  While I appreciate what he offers, I think that I’m guilty of overlooking his better performances.

Surely Young has to be our best option for covering Weiters and, hopefully, he’ll do well enough to keep his spot when Weiters is back.

I would like to see tall Durds given a crack.  I reckon he’s the modern equivalent of Sam Rowe; plenty of heart in mouth stuff but generally very reliable.

Reply #13
Good point about Boyd.  While I appreciate what he offers, I think that I’m guilty of overlooking his better performances.

Surely Young has to be our best option for covering Weiters and, hopefully, he’ll do well enough to keep his spot when Weiters is back.

I would like to see tall Durds given a crack.  I reckon he’s the modern equivalent of Sam Rowe; plenty of heart in mouth stuff but generally very reliable.

Have to admit about not being a Boyd fan but I warmed to him after the job he did on Bailey who has stitched us up a few times.
He seemed to work well with his good friend Saad and I'd be trusting him to repeat the dose.
Young has played some good footy for us and I'm still at a loss as to why his form
collapsed quicker than an Indian railway bridge and having the responsibility to replace JW might see him lift and get some confidence.
Sam Durdin is a good trainer and doesn't do much wrong in VFL games but my preference is still Young but if he can't find form I'd be happy to give S. Durdin a go and even play both if the opposition demanded two taller KP players if JW remained unavailable.