Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 11: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 11832 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 11: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #45
ACOS was a rookie pick so the recruiting aspect is minor....he was good when he played but a decision will need to be made on him and Sam Rowe.....Sam might get another season and I reckon OShea will too....

Reply #46
What are you trying to say now ?

Did you really think that Doc missing every game of 2018, Rowe coming back from a knee and Gibbs being traded for draft picks was going to make us a better team in 2018 v 2017 ? ????????????????????????

The recent public uttering from senior club officials (SOS, McKay, Judd, BB and now The Judge)have all publicly pegged this as the predicted toughest year of the rebuild, even excluding the Docherty injury and Gibbs trade. But they didn't do so pro-actively, before teh season, they waited for the sh1t to hit he fan and then told us retro-actively!

Yet it was hope and an exciting new brand they peddled prior to the season!

If they had just come out and stated this year was expected to be tough, and we were consolidating on the past, most fans would have accepted that!

I realise not everyone believed them, especially the older heads, but it hurts the young supporters more than anything to be offered chocolates only to get boiled lollies! That sort of mean spirited spin hurts the club long term, and I think it tells you who and what they really care about!

It makes them look like car-salesmen! Trust us, we lied to you in the past but we are not lying now!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
LP with all due respect the club never spruiked we'd be good.

Some optimistic supporters allowed themselves to think like we were in a better position than we were and even the more realistic from our supporters didn't realise it would be this bad.

Things could have been very different but we've had some rotten luck which has guaranteed this outcome for this year.

When paddy Dow lined up in the middle in round one and didn't stamp himself as way ahead of schedule it was a bit of a tell.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #48
Actually, I think the Spotted One (LP) is right in one respect re the dishonesty of the club. For the club to be saying now that they fully expected this to be the most difficult period of the rebuild is absolute bullsh1te. We were seduced into believing a more offensive 'layer' had been added at the beginning of the year, building expectations. That turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. And then we quickly retreated to our defensive game to steady the ship... then came the injuries to an already brittle side.

Looks to me like our club is making it up as they go along.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #49
Sorry Baggers and LP, I’m firmly with Thry on this.
Do you think the club is going to come out preseason and say “No hope this year, save your membership cash for 2020” ????????

If we had minimal injuries this year like the tiggers last, we could’ve been sitting here now talking about scrapping around the fringe of the 8... (EVERYTHING going right)
Instead we’ve had injuries to two guys from 1/4 time in round one and gone downhill from there, then there’s some of the mystifying selections that went on...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #50
Sorry Baggers and LP, I’m firmly with Thry on this.
Do you think the club is going to come out preseason and say “No hope this year, save your membership cash for 2020” ????????

Nobody is making that claim, who are you debating?

You have cross linked two different ideas, one of which hasn't come from anything I've posted.

The club fully and intentionally spruiked the positives pre-season, the coach, the new CEO, the footy department where all out telling us to look forward to new game style with an attacking edge. But they have since revealed that at least in the top echelons they didn't believe what they were publicly speaking about!

Either way they were deceptive. If the pre-season stuff wasn't fake, then it means the stuff they spruik now is, they cannot have it both ways! Are they are doing a Caro, and saying they were wrong because things changed?

This is probably why Baggers and many others feel they are making stuff up on the run!

Personally, I don't think they are making stuff up, but I think they have been very poorly advised or managed by somebody! Somebody thought the fans were all illiterate idiots that could be led in any direction without recourse, boards have been turned on less!

And by the way. I don't think anyone would have put their wallet away if the club had just been truthful, in fact I can say I do not know a single fellow supporter who wouldn't have still forked out their cash if the club had been fully truthful! But our perception and enjoyment of the season would have been very different, because we would have been looking for positives instead of results! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
There's no way they thought it was going to be like this.

Hell I didn't think it would be like this.

We had some people thinking we'd get better this year but I doubt the club genuinely thought we'd have a better season than last season and if so, we are being run by a bunch of imbeciles.

Irrespective no one would ever publically say anything of that sort.  remember when we declared season over after round two??

We went down by ten goals last weekend and the club has accepted that this just isn't going to get much better than wildly inconsistent.

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
There's no way they thought it was going to be like this.

But that is what they are now saying, and have been for several weeks, that the current situation is what they expected! They expected this to be the toughest phase of the rebuild!

Which is the whole point Thry. They were either pushing out bullsh1t then, or they are pushing out bullsh1t now, they cannot have it both ways!

Personally I'm not that surprised, I thought we were on a knife edge of experience versus youth which could have gone in any direction. We just do not have the depth and quality in experience to cover the kids when they are down, no matter how hard the old boys try!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
There's tough (kruddler and I thinking we'd win about six games for the year) and there's this.

The point is, that not everything is lies and misdirection.

This was most likely to be our worst year of the rebuild is a bit different to dead last 1 and 12 with a percentage of 60 odd percent.

Now if we win four or five games by end of year are they still lying?   IMHO no. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #54
I expected the first 2 years to be rough but to make progress this year.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #55
Now if we win four or five games by end of year are they still lying?   IMHO no.

The results bear no impact on the determination of the clubs behavior, they are two completely different issues!

This isn't some subjective issue we are debating, it's hard copy and spoken words that are out in the marketplace!

The match results are not the issue, the issue now is should we ever believe them again, Judd and BB included?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
I don't have a problem with how they've sold it. Losing Gibbs for a couole of kids was always going to hurt this year. I expected us to win less games than 2017. Apart from bad performances against Melbourne and Fremantle we have been OK in most other games. When they were selling the message in the off season they talked about a more attacking game style, and they did try that. It didn't work, but they did what they said they would do. I also think the preseason optimistic talk assumes a fair run with injuries. I think we've had a terrible run which has affected our ability to apply the game plan we are trying to do, but we'll see improvement in the second half of the season and again next year

Reply #57
The results bear no impact on the determination of the clubs behavior, they are two completely different issues!

This isn't some subjective issue we are debating, it's hard copy and spoken words that are out in the marketplace!

The match results are not the issue, the issue now is should we ever believe them again, Judd and BB included?

Actually it does.

We've had a bad year for various reasons but if we still win 6 games it will be as we expected. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #58
LoGuidice and Trigg's rebuild was always a "buying time" exercise until the natural rotation of things bought us around to playing finals again.
The coach of the  time didn't believe in it.
Bolton has been burdened by it.

The old Paganism has come into effect..."Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

We'll be good again in a couple of years when these young kids develop a bit more...but I'll always believe we would have been good anyway at least for a few seasons...without the pain.... with a less radical approach.

If we talk about half a dozen wins being a good acceptable target three years in we really have changed a mindset....and not for the better.

Reply #59

Some interesting stats:
[1] Lobbe: he had the 2nd best rating on the ground and and did OK in the ruck.
[2] Pickett had 4 possessions.  :(
[3] LeBois had 4 possessions as well. :(
Live Long and Prosper!