Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 - What do you expect from the club? (Read 45782 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 - What do you expect from the club?

Reply #120
Agree...Bolton will be the fall guy if the SOS drafting program fails.....SOS has a buddy in the Prez and being a hero of the club will give him some bambi credits..
re: Riccuito ...will be the mayor of Adelaide if they win the flag, if they feck up again he will look for a few soft targets to blame...

The harsh reality is that in some respects the SOS drafting program has been an exercise in compromise. In the past two seasons we went after and failed to get: Tomlinson, Kelly, Rockliff, Smith, Lynch, Saad and maybe another 'name' or two... We were told that in 2017 we would attract and secure a marquee player - didn't happen. None of the blokes we settled on were tried and true winners like the before mentioned. So SOS can hardly say to BB that he's given him A graders to work with... he's given him potential and maybe's. Fingers crossed for 2018.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #121
I would agree finishing higher is a mandatory requirement but losing Gibbs and Docherty probably gives the football dept an out clause if that doesnt happen.....not sure we can kick enough goals
to win significantly more games..
Our drafting was more future based and I think the trade period was handy but may struggle to cover both Gibbs and Docherty..I'm not sold on players like Dow/Obrien  being walk up impact players..

Oh I agree on the season overall EB. But specifically our last 8-10 games in both the last 2 seasons have been poor from a results perspective. I could handle say 6-8 wins, if it was 3-4 in the 1st half and the same in the 2nd half.

I also think that Doc and GIbbs are soft excuses, but agree they will be played if it happens.
The reality is that our young player were probably at 50-60% of what they will be like at 25 last year year and this year every one of them should be increasing that to 65-70%. As such that growth across the starting 18 should more than cover both of the players. In essence we should still be a better team without Gibbs and Doc. Not better than we would be if both were playing for us, but better than we were last year.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #122
At some point there comes a time when supporters start to say "enough is enough"
I'm actually surprised the goodwill has lasted this long.

This squad is set up to the point where a lack of improvement in both ladder position and wins should not be acceptable if we're on the right track.
It doesn't have to be dramatic but it has to be apparent.

Reply #123
Side finished 16th with a percentage of 78, lost two of its best 4-5 players (and 2 leaders in a young team thin on leadership), I just can't see how we can win more games in 2018. I'm expecting bottom 3, with 5-6 wins. Upward trajectory should start in 2019

Reply #124
Side finished 16th with a percentage of 78, lost two of its best 4-5 players (and 2 leaders in a young team thin on leadership), I just can't see how we can win more games in 2018. I'm expecting bottom 3, with 5-6 wins. Upward trajectory should start in 2019

Yes, generally agree. A lot of the kids really need to come on in leaps and bounds to win several more than last year. Possible, but not likely IMO. Those Friday night games should really be a hoot.

Reply #125
Finals
Yep, nuffs enuff. No limits, have to aim for finals. May not get there but it has to be the aim and they need to claw, bite and scratch their way to them. Heck I'd aim to win the farken thing. Why not? Time for us to change our attitude and reset OUR goals. As Obama said, "Yes we can".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #126
Hopefully we win 8/9 games and become a side that other teams dread lining up against.
I think we started that this year TBH, IMO no way teams enjoyed playing us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #127
I don't see that happening, at least not next year. If we have another year like 2017, those three are still very safe, even if there is a challenge. My guess, observing at a distance, is that SOS is the most powerful person at the club. He's worked himself into a similar position to Riccuto, except SOS actually does something useful.
I reckon he is the most important, not the most powerful. If he nails his job, even I could coach them to a premiership. If he was to perform at the levels of the morons before him, Jesus Christ couldn't coach them to a win let alone a flag.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #128
I think we started that this year TBH, IMO no way teams enjoyed playing us.

To a degree GTC but I want them to be dreading our attacking style and swift ball movement on top of our tough defence.  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #129
Competitiveness. 
- for selection in the NB's, seniors, AFLW
- during each and every game, from start to finish
- in the AFL marketplace = more $$
- within the staff group, thus giving 100% every day

Cohesion - prez to cleaner, and everyone in between

Oh, and my wish rather than expectation, win the AFLW flag

Go new Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #130
I believe that at times in 2018 there are going to be a lot of frustrated Carlton supporters and I fear that one or more of the idiotic factions of the club will pull the trigger and thwart the rebuild before it is finished. 

The bottom line is that losing Gibbs and Docherty is going to cost us big time.  Those two were huge contributors in wins last year (e.g. Gibbs vs Suns) last year and  in Tennis parlance, we have to defend those points for starters just to square the ledger.  Some of our wins in 2017 were against very highly rated sides and repeating that would be a great effort.

The list is a step closer to where the club wants it to be but aside from Kennedy and Garlett I can't see any of the draftees contributing in  a meaningful way for at least a couple of seasons.  The future-thinking drafting is a clear sign of staying the stated course, but does not address immediate needs.  For example, we have a Grand Canyon-sized chasm forward of centre to fill.  I am concerned that other clubs have been viewed as "destination" clubs and have advanced on us simply by the calibre of players they could attract.

As for game style and general play I expect greatly improved ball movement or questions should be asked.  The JLT series is going to give a better guide in this area.  I assume that Bolton will have learnt from some of the mistakes of this year e.g playing excessively young sides or inappropriate selections.

The silver lining is next year's draft.  Kids like Jack Lukosious and Ivan Rankine are rated as once in a generation type players.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #131

Gibbs and Docherty will be missed...but in the Gibbs case we seem to have recruited players that, even given a worst case scenario, would cover that loss by about 75-80%.

Docherty is arguably our most important player but right up there with him is Cripps and basically it was season over when he went down for the last part of the season.
As well as that we had some significant season ending injuries to other players so the in end it will be injuries that largely determine our fate.

What we hope is that the recruitment of players has added the depth to cover some of these and there is a natural progression of some of the younger players.

Reply #132
Don’t think Gibbs will be as big a loss as many on here are making out. Once you factor we get back Crippa and Ed who both provide the grunt we missed badly in the second half of last season I think he rd 1 team will be superior to the team that ended last season.

Doc on the other hand will be a big loss. Can’t replace him but I’m hopeful that we have a large group of young players in Charlie, jack, SPS, Fisher etc that you would expect a decent increase in output from will still provide us with a bigger boast even taking docs absence into it.

I’m still one of the positive supporters expecting a better year win wise then last year. With the draw we have if injuries to key personal are low I expect 8-10 wins and no blow out loses.

Reply #133
I think that the club will persevere with the list rebuild at least for 2018 and possibly beyond. Our pursuit of youthful talent demonstrates that, together with the attempts to bolster the more senior ranks somewhat without selling the farm at this stage The loss of both Gibbs and Docherty will be challenging, although we did manage to hold on to Gibbs for 2017, but I'm looking forward to the emerging talent rising to fill those gaps, together with new recruits such as Mullet, Lang and Garlett.

The 2018 draft and trade periods will likely put the main finishing touches to the rebuild as such and we may even add a marquee player or even two? We are following a good strategy IMO, bearing in mind our recent dire predicament, and I'd be very very surprised if any faction in the club gets any opportunity to pull the pin on it for at least the next two years. By which time I believe the benefits will have become obvious! (puts head on block).
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #134
In my previous post re expectations I left out one very important expectation. Excitement. I really expect to see an exciting brand of footy from us next year, with plenty of dash and dare. The ruthless defensiveness can't fall away, but when we've got the aggott let's be bold with our offensive game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17