Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 44793 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #255
Martin Pike was a good footballer, got out on the turps a lot but Matthews overlooked it......Pike was a hard unit who Brisbane kept on one year deals to keep him keen.
But he delivered in finals and was a better player than people gave credit to.

Robbo was a stuff up on our behalf and would have been ideal for our list given we have so many choir boys and little kids....vivid memory for me is Gibbs dumping some  Essendon player on the ground before half time and Robbo having to rush in and protect Gibbs ..

Reply #256
Very true.

Was Fevola less talented than Didak?

Was pissing on a restaurant window a bigger problem than firing an unlicensed and unregistered pistol into a factory, a gun provided by a bloke who was under police investigation?

Was separating drunken friends at a concert, or lying about defending a team-mate outside a night club, anywhere near as big of a problem?

Were any of Robinson's or Fevola's offenses worse than Drunk Unlicensed Driving?

I understand all the reasons, I do not understand how they can be so differently applied and for integrity to remain!

Channel 9 shouldn't have let him go on air as drunk as he was but they did and he made our club look like an undisciplined rabble.
We'd already publicly given him a final warning so we had no choice but to sack him.
The saddest thing to come of it is that we found someone stupid enough to pay a decent price for him and squandered it on Kane Lucas.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #257
I reckon we would have won a flag with Fevola between 09 and 11.

Reply #258
Pyke had a lot more ability than Robinson has though, so did Didak.
If I recall correctly Malthouse even admitted at the time that if it were two rookies rather than Didak and Shaw the outcome would have been different.
We got rid of a champion full forward for a lack of discipline but I supported the club's decision at the time and still do.

Forget Robinson.

The bloke has done the best number on over emotional Carlton folk that he has the reputation of having been able to walk on water.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/M/Mitch_Robinson.html

Hes more solid but unspectacular, and whilst we could use a solid footballer, he had his problems to go with it.

When you think Mitch Robinson, automatically think of Dan Connors.  In a sliding doors situation, that could have been Mitch.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #259

2011 (our best chance) -  we got 154 goals out of Walks, Betts & Garlett......would we have got this with a Fev lead forward line ?

We were robbed against the Eagles & cost us a Prelim spot without Fev, we'll never know what difference he might have made.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #260

I don't.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #261
2011 (our best chance) -  we got 154 goals out of Walks, Betts & Garlett......would we have got this with a Fev lead forward line ?

We were robbed against the Eagles & cost us a Prelim spot without Fev, we'll never know what difference he might have made.
Sad part is we might not get that many goals all year for the team this year, I pine for the days when we know what goals were

Reply #262
I don't.

He kicked 99 goals in 08 and 89 in 09, is a 2x Coleman Medallist and 3x AA. And we were playing Setanta and Thornton as KP forwards during 2010/2011.

Nothing more to say.

Reply #263
Forget Robinson.

The bloke has done the best number on over emotional Carlton folk that he has the reputation of having been able to walk on water.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/M/Mitch_Robinson.html

Hes more solid but unspectacular, and whilst we could use a solid footballer, he had his problems to go with it.

When you think Mitch Robinson, automatically think of Dan Connors.  In a sliding doors situation, that could have been Mitch.

So you think Robinson's behavior is analogous or equivalent to someone who glassed a bystander in what courts found to be an unprovoked attack?

Further, when did Connors win an AFL B&F?

You might be happy to see him go, you might be bitter that he left, or perhaps all of the above at one time or another, but the Lions clearly have the last laugh!

Obviously we cannot debate a whole career or potential, but for example which player currently on our list would when giving away height, reach and experience nullify a Dustin Fletcher type, is there anyone up to the task?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #264
He kicked 99 goals in 08 and 89 in 09, is a 2x Coleman Medallist and 3x AA. And we were playing Setanta and Thornton as KP forwards during 2010/2011.

Nothing more to say.

I get that, but it doesn't translate into a Premiership for a club that didn't even play in a Preliminary final.
It's all opinion anyway.

Reply #265
So you think Robinson's behavior is analogous or equivalent to someone who glassed a bystander in what courts found to be an unprovoked attack?

Further, when did Connors win an AFL B&F?

You might be happy to see him go, you might be bitter that he left, or perhaps all of the above at one time or another, but the Lions clearly have the last laugh!

Obviously we cannot debate a whole career or potential, but for example which player currently on our list would when giving away height, reach and experience nullify a Dustin Fletcher type, is there anyone up to the task?

No, I think the situations both found themselves were analogous regarding their tenures at their football club, and both ended up being sacked.  What they did wrong is besides the point.

Now the much fancied Robinson had a stellar game against the competitions current whipping boys, where he did SFA to record 12 disposals, 1 goal and 5 tackles.

Hes had a few handy seasons in his 10 year AFL career.  But he has largely been an also ran even if he is a big bodied also ran who can hurt the opposition without a possession.  The stats actually show, he wasnt as good as anyone thinks he was.

Paul Hewson

Reply #266
I get that, but it doesn't translate into a Premiership for a club that didn't even play in a Preliminary final.
It's all opinion anyway.

We lost the finals in 09, 10, and 11 by 7, 5 and 3 points respectively. All played interstate. You don't reckon Fev is worth a goal a game ?

Reply #267
We lost the finals in 09, 10, and 11 by 7, 5 and 3 points respectively. All played interstate. You don't reckon Fev is worth a goal a game ?

Fev might have been, but to play Fev odds are we move someone else OUT of the forward line, AND we don't get the change in team ethic that we got by ousting him.

There are many layers to this change than 1 out 1 in = premiership.

There's defensive pressure, goal assists, and even team structure and balance, without the psychological factor of sacking a star player and what that does to a group in terms of both polarising and galvanising them.

You don't sack Fev, and chances are we end up in a similar scenario we ended up in with him.

Its like saying that had we played Yarran instead of Davies we would have won.  He might have leaked a tonne more goals, or disjointed our backline in a way that further added to our loss against West Coast/Sydney.

Either way, we can't know.  The chances are that the results wouldnt have changed dramatically for various reasons, and we were no closer to a flag then than we were in 2011.

Paul Hewson

Reply #268

You can't take a few games in isolation, if he hadn't been sacked the whole dynamic of the team would have been different and we might not have played in any of those finals, it's certain that our results would have been different for better or worse.
I think that Fevola was a toxic influence and that we were better off without him so you and I can't agree on this one.

Reply #269
Fev might have been, but to play Fev odds are we move someone else OUT of the forward line, AND we don't get the change in team ethic that we got by ousting him.

There are many layers to this change than 1 out 1 in = premiership.

There's defensive pressure, goal assists, and even team structure and balance, without the psychological factor of sacking a star player and what that does to a group in terms of both polarising and galvanising them.

You don't sack Fev, and chances are we end up in a similar scenario we ended up in with him.

Its like saying that had we played Yarran instead of Davies we would have won.  He might have leaked a tonne more goals, or disjointed our backline in a way that further added to our loss against West Coast/Sydney.

Either way, we can't know.  The chances are that the results wouldnt have changed dramatically for various reasons, and we were no closer to a flag then than we were in 2011.

Yes we would have moved Setanta and Thornton out of the forward line. A big win if you ask me.

I don't deny that it's all speculation - hence the existence of the forum.