Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 45035 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #135
I guess the Martin to Full Forward was his signature move but now he has Caddy down there he doesnt do it as often....

And it took a skilful coach to work that one out, would Dusty to anywhere be a tactical winner!

Did Ratten get credit for sending Judd anywhere on the field?

Our current problems are much much bigger, and while some answers might be obvious they are clearly much harder to implement!

But I worry when Leigh Matthews implies we are a rabble that cannot even do the basics like handball or kick!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #136
And it took a skilful coach to work that one out, would Dusty to anywhere be a tactical winner!

Did Ratten get credit for sending Judd anywhere on the field?

Our current problems are much much bigger, and while some answers might be obvious they are clearly much harder to implement!

But I worry when Leigh Matthews implies we are a rabble that cannot even do the basics like handball or kick!

When we recruited them, the recent ones, there was a focus on having those skills. What happens when they get to Carlton?

Reply #137
When we recruited them, the recent ones, there was a focus on having those skills. What happens when they get to Carlton?

I don't know, it's something EB1 and myself have been on about for a long time, player development, but I can't say it's all about BB but the buck does stop with him!

There is something sick at our club, it seems to be collapsing, termites!

I have doubt about BB, but I have even greater doubts about the club having his back!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138
I think many of us get that B4L, but it doesn't explain the lack of passion or sacrifice we see on the field, or the lack of structure!

There was plenty of passion against Collingwood and Port, and what looked like a complete lack of it against Freo and again todsy.
I don't think that it's a lack of passion or spirit, I think it's that we are still putting together a team and there's a basic lack of cohesion and belief.
Whether we'll get there in the end or whether Bolton is the right man for the job I honestly have no idea, but I do know that no coach could win many games with the players he has at his disposal.
There are simply too many hacks and B graders on our list, it's the weakest Carlton team I've ever seen.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #139
There are simply too many hacks and B graders on our list, it's the weakest Carlton team I've ever seen.

But BB and SOS have been in charge of a massive rebuild that turned over more the 40 players?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
But BB and SOS have been in charge of a massive rebuild that turned over more the 40 players?

But they were coming from miles back, our recruiting over the past 15 years has been absolutely woeful and by far the worst in the AFL.
How did that Hughes peanut keep his job for so long with his record?
That alone tells you that something was very wrong at the CFC.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #141
I thought it was only a reset?? When have they ever owned up to this being a rebuild???
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #142
But they were coming from miles back, our recruiting over the past 15 years has been absolutely woeful and by far the worst in the AFL.
How did that Hughes peanut keep his job for so long with his record?
That alone tells you that something was very wrong at the CFC.

There is an excellent question!

Reply #143
Well I think I've caught most of the teev commentators summary of our effort today... summarised - insipid, no excuses accepted by any of the better ex players/commentators.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #144
What happened to this most wondrous coaching appointment panel, that was supposed to get us the right candidate ? The first time in history we did things the right way ?

Mind you, I'd like to see Bolton get a block of matches coaching our best 22, to see how he goes. He's really having to choose some ordinary footballers at the moment - in fact, most of the season.

What a bunch of horse sh1t!
Today's result had little if anything to do with who was available. It was all to do with a lack of effort, a lack of heart and a bunch of entitled 20 something year old kids who have been given everything and aren't prepared to try their guts' out for a win.
There were maybe 3 or 4 blokes wearing navy who should have walked off the field in that guernsey.. The rest should have left it in the centre square.
I am disgusted by the ream. I proudly support the Carlton football club, but at the moment there is no pride in watching a team that in my opinion don't represent the club. There is no effort. Even the second best player in the side in P Cripps, touted as captain material can't show enough decency to run both ways on the field... He is one of about 16 or 18 out there today.
I was onboard with this Bolton rebuild/reset idea, but if can't even instill enough in these boys to make them want to play with pride then he isn't the right person to be leading a side full of young men learning the game.

Reply #145
Anyone wanting to see the coach's post match presser the current link on the clubs site is wrong, of course.

This one works, http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/16/bl-v-carl

BB was blaming the defence, but the defence don't make extra numbers at both ends of the ground.

Fans should go back and watch the replay to find out just how much bullsh1t that really is. You'll see repeat after repeat, over and over again, of 4 or 5 Lions players up against or 2 and 3 Blues players at both ends of the ground!

There are moments in the game when Charlie loses a contest against 2 or 3 deep in our F50, the Lions take the ball coast to coast in a chain in just seconds, and you see Jones or Weitering isolated against 3 or 4 Lions in or around our D50! It happened on multiple occasions, two of them even made the AFL's highlights!

If BB believes what he is saying then he is probably not the man for the job. If it's spin he should be better than that, it's not like he's keeping a top secret from the opposition!

Watch the highlights of some of the Lions coast to coast goals, look in the background behind the ball carrier and count the number of Carlton players trailing behind. Even when Rowe, Weitering or Jones manage to make a spoil or hold up the Lions there is no Carlton player in sight to help! Over and over again!

At least twice or three times, there was 6 uncontested posessions from end to end for Brisbane, resulting in goals, and once where there was a gettable set shot for behind.

Reply #146
Who has an issue with that other than yourself.

You're obviously pleased with his output. I suppose some are easier pleased than others. But hey, I'm not here to judge...
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #147
We have a list full of talent that is under performing.

Individuals not giving their best in a system that doesn't allow them to. We consistently set up in the wrong places around the ground, repeatedly watch the opposition exploit the same defensive failings in our tactics, move the ball slowly rather than take the game or run together in offence and fail to offer anything resembling pressure around the ground.

The zone defence doesn't work and we keep making baffling player selections. We all see it, the commentators see it and it appears that the players know it. The only people not seeing it are the match committe, Bolton and the coaching panel.

Rather than clear out the list (again) and try the same deficient coaches with a new group I'd rather see the same players given a new game plan, coaching group and development plan (and maybe medical support so they aren't playing injured)
I’m with you Barbs, all of your post makes sense to me, so hard to stick fat with the status quo when we are going out backwards.....

Reply #148
Bolton doesn't react to obvious field changes required during the course of a game, far too soft on taking the gamble which means leniency on poor efforts and self defence on the assumption that we're a "young side", assuming he'll escape appropriate scrutiny.

He shouldn't and neither should Silvagni (to some degree at least).  I stayed well away from posting yesterday as I "knew" we'd be flogged and the result would elicit all these responses.

Everyone's understandably angry and I've not seen a single post that doesn't have some merit in the argument.  Shows tolerance in the extreme

Other young teams abound with pride in what they do individually or as a group

We are so far behind on that issue, it points to lack of authority, self respect, values and sense of entitlement

What we do from hereon in will determine the long term future of the club

Reply #149
We seem to have too may players who for too long in games run around not knowing what they should be doing and failing to execute some of the key basics of the game. Key question, is this because they are cr@p players or are they totally confused as to their roles, or perhaps a combination of those two things? I'm certainly perplexed!
Reality always wins in the end.