Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 45041 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #225
Actually I forgot to add Jones had to leave his man because of Dow's error.  We all would have blamed Jones but our zone was already broken and is probably the reason why Jones finds himself in that situation.

Fox footy showed Marc Murphy repeat the exact same error at half back from behind the goals on saturday.

He got sucked into the contest, in the middle of the ground, leaving Zorko un-accounted for, the ball was simply chipped over him which created a scoring opportunity.

I can't remember if someone then ran off to Zorko, but it was easy as you like.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #226
Fox footy showed Marc Murphy repeat the exact same error at half back from behind the goals on saturday.

He got sucked into the contest, in the middle of the ground, leaving Zorko un-accounted for, the ball was simply chipped over him which created a scoring opportunity.

I can't remember if someone then ran off to Zorko, but it was easy as you like.

Well there you go.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #227
Yep.  we are unimpressed at the youngsters not getting it, and yet here is our captain who we begged to stay with us, repeating the exact same problems.

Now Im all for players making mistakes, but what hope do we have if the captain makes the same errors?

Then there is the other side of that coin... Perhaps they were doing what they were asked to, and our opposition dont respect our players, and know that they will get beaten anyway and let them run into the contest.

It could be that had Murphy impacted we'd be going the other way and scoring with a number advantage.

You would have to be the coach to know either way...

Paul Hewson

Reply #228
Murphy is newer to defense than Jones, just because he's been around a long time and is captain shouldn't make people think he knows what he is doing in the back line!

We've been doing this the whole season, but the fans point the finger at Jones and Weitering. Too many see the effect and are oblivious to the cause! They'll call it pissweak defense.

In reality, if our blokes take the football in the same midfield situation, a Lions forward will chase us down! Our forwards jog along behind pointing fingers at defenders to get him, then we clap them for taking one contested mark a quarter! Refer to McKay and Casboult! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #229
Murphy is newer to defense than Jones, just because he's been around a long time and is captain shouldn't make people think he knows what he is doing in the back line!

We've been doing this the whole season, but the fans point the finger at Jones and Weitering. Too many see the effect and are oblivious to the cause! They'll call it pissweak defense.

In reality, if our blokes take the football in the same midfield situation, a Lions forward will chase us down! Our forwards jog along behind pointing fingers at defenders to get him, then we clap them for taking one contested mark a quarter! Refer to McKay and Casboult! ;)

Na, he's a 200 gamer and supposed leader of the club.  He should know his midfield role like the back of his hand, and getting sucked into a midfield contest is either him taking the onus onto himself to leave the role he was assigned in an effort to fix what someone else is doing wrong or deciding that defending wasn't his go, with the only other option being, that this is what he thought he was supposed to do. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #230
Na, he's a 200 gamer and supposed leader of the club.  He should know his midfield role like the back of his hand, and getting sucked into a midfield contest is either him taking the onus onto himself to leave the role he was assigned in an effort to fix what someone else is doing wrong or deciding that defending wasn't his go, with the only other option being, that this is what he thought he was supposed to do.

Wasn't the debate about Marc Murphy making a mistake playing as a permanent defender?

I suppose there are levels of tolerance, but I do wonder how many games Mitch Robinson had played in the ruck when he punched that ball over the goal line? However, if he had repeated it over and over again! :o

I'd expect Murphy to learn faster than a newbie, but I don't expect him to be another Brian Lake or Sam Docherty overnight!

Que SerĂ¡
The Force Awakens!

Reply #231
Wasn't the debate about Marc Murphy making a mistake playing as a permanent defender?

I suppose there are levels of tolerance, but I do wonder how many games Mitch Robinson had played in the ruck when he punched that ball over the goal line? However, if he had repeated it over and over again! :o

I'd expect Murphy to learn faster than a newbie, but I don't expect him to be another Brian Lake or Sam Docherty overnight!

Que SerĂ¡

It wasnt a debate it was something that Fox Footy pointed out, that he left his man (who may have simply dragged him forward) to return to the midfield contest (over 40 metres away) which saw him become just a witches hat to kick over as he couldnt cover that ground with any real hope of doing anything.

Paul Hewson

Reply #232
Still nothing from our invisible president and CEO.   At least the previous incumbent would have come out with something,  this Liddle bloke isn't exactly "engaging" this supporter.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #233
I though eye gouging was three weeks, minimum.

I see that May continues to benefit from his "protected species" status.   If he tummy taps Chuck I hope he drops the clown.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #234
Just watching Talking Footy.

Lions had 309 uncontested possession and 24 marks inside 50. That's off the chart!

They were showing highlights of how we were zoning and showing how, as Carey said, we had absolutely no idea where we should be standing and positioning ourselves. Just totally lost as to what to do. He said the message, whatever he's teaching, is just not getting though using that style of play.

Reply #235
Just watching Talking Footy.

Lions had 309 uncontested possession and 24 marks inside 50. That's off the chart!

They were showing highlights of how we were zoning and showing how, as Carey said, we had absolutely no idea where we should be standing and positioning ourselves. Just totally lost as to what to do. He said the message, whatever he's teaching, is just not getting though using that style of play.

Agree Jim....game plan is useless, rather go back to congestion, mayhem and a stacked backline than watch Steven rack up 40 possies and have half the backline unoccupied with witches hats for players.....

Reply #236
Can we maybe give players a week off and simply tell them to play 1 on 1 footy.

This is your opponent for the day. Beat him.

May give some players back the confidence they might be lacking.

Reply #237
We'd be beaten in 15 or 16 of those 1 on 1 contests, maybe more, confidence would go even lower

Reply #238
We'd be beaten in 15 or 16 of those 1 on 1 contests, maybe more, confidence would go even lower

We are not short on talent. Look at how many 1st round picks we have.

We are short on confidence.
We are short on cohesion.
We are short on experience.
We are short on knowledge.

All of them have an effect on how we perform 'the game plan'.
Throw that out the window and just let the blokes play. Instinct will take over and they will play to their strengths.

It will also create havoc for the opposition when all their homework they've done throughout the week is flushed down the toilet from the centre bounce. It will force Richo to come up with a new plan on the fly. We should get a decent jump on them in the 1st quarter.

Reply #239
We are not short on talent. Look at how many 1st round picks we have.

We are short on confidence.
We are short on cohesion.
We are short on experience.
We are short on knowledge.

All of them have an effect on how we perform 'the game plan'.
Throw that out the window and just let the blokes play. Instinct will take over and they will play to their strengths.

It will also create havoc for the opposition when all their homework they've done throughout the week is flushed down the toilet from the centre bounce. It will force Richo to come up with a new plan on the fly. We should get a decent jump on them in the 1st quarter.

You've got the job!