Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 18084 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #165
I can't see that happening, no matter how bad the season is. Even by Carlton standards, that would be a new low.

I think there's a real chance we could be 0-4 after Geelong and Essendon (no easy beats IMO), but I think we will win more in the latter stages of the season, as long as we can stay relatively injury free.

I cant see it happening either, but the conspiracy theorists have our upper echelons biding their time to get Lyon in.

Reply #166
I cant see it happening either, but the conspiracy theorists have our upper echelons biding their time to get Lyon in.

Lyon's record at 2 no hoper clubs is pretty good, but the coaching merry go round has to stop.

My concern is the potential lack of wins will see the media do their sh1t all over again, and I'm not sure that our club is strong enough to resist and push back. Their record in this space up to now has been appalling.

Reply #167
The club is weak as piss.

Reply #168
Teague was pretty much put in there as a caretaker and would have been replaced but for his initial results, which were an inconvenient truth for the ruling cabal. I would bet that these results are now long forgotten and the current default  position would be to move him on, quoting their reservations about training wheels perhaps being justified after all. Sure there will be a flurry in the media and with some supporters but a suitable narrative to deal with that will be created. I just cannot see Teaguey getting another year unless actual results make sacking him impossible. That does NOT mean I agree with sacking him btw.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #169
The club is weak as piss.

Not only that, but I'm also wondering how much they're on the same page. In Ratten's era, there were some power brokers who saw him as a caretaker until we got a (yawn) "real" coach, and as such gave him little support - that's disunity. In the lead up to Bolton's sacking, both Judd and LoGiudice said Bolts wasn't going anywhere, and I think they were telling the truth. I don't think it was a cover up. Clearly others disagreed, and he was gone. Again, disunity.

I really hope those days are over, but from my vantage point, I can't tell one way or the other.

Reply #170
Lyon's record at 2 no hoper clubs is pretty good, but the coaching merry go round has to stop.

My concern is the potential lack of wins will see the media do their sh1t all over again, and I'm not sure that our club is strong enough to resist and push back. Their record in this space up to now has been appalling.

This is Teague's major issue and he knows it. The journey to a flag is a long one but at this stage just getting us challenging for finals would be good enough for the shorter term, and would maybe keep many of the wolves from the door of club management. The shorter term is definitely it's big priority imo and even if we got Lyon and he started to get a few ugly wins this would be good enough for its immediate needs, then worry about taking the next steps. It's a survival strategy rather than a longer term winning strategy at this stage.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #171
Cornes the media whore has started operation "undermine Carlton" already AFAIC.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #172
Peak stupid if we do that, let alone even consider it.  100% concur with that comment.  After 11 games?

What if we are 11 - 0.
What if we are dead last with a percentage under 50

Gold Coast have just gone past us in an offseason.

Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #173
@baggers and GIC.....
I 'm not sure that what  you're saying and what I'm saying are necessarily mutually exclusive.

My argument is that we are still to gel as a unit in comparison with other sides due to the turnover of personnel.
Again.... 'No other club has had the changes of personnel ours has had in the last five years'
It's a strategy few clubs have ever attempted.
I suspect it's a model few clubs will ever repeat.

Now part of that understanding that needs to develop is the ability to combine together to apply pressure for longer periods of time.
Passion for club and teammates is another aspect that develops over time.
For a Jack Silvagni that's something he was born with...if you come through another club or two (the passage of a good number of our players) it takes a little longer.

We've had slow starts, but at least there's a belief there that even 6 or 7 goals down they're still not out of the game.

I posted in another thread that the resumption would cause some problems for some clubs. The successful ones were always going  to be the ones who could get their 'combination' back together the quickest.

Successful ones like the Port, Cheats and Norf who are 2-0
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #174
If Teague can't sort the starts out fasts I'm afraid he's going to become another Bolton and we'll be looking at another reset. Liddell and Lloyd won't want their mate on the sidelines watching you long if go 5 from 17.
Well we are still losing more than we win, cant turn up to games until the second qtr, cant hit target and cant kick easy goals. Start the reset now.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #175
Work rate, work rate, work rate.

Not leg speed, but work rate (aka intensity).

Round 1 tackles from our leaders:

Simmo    0
Murph    0
Crippa    2
Doc        1
Weiters   3
Ed C       3
Newnes  1

Overall, 9 players with ZERO tackles, 14 with one or less.

Round 2 tackles from our leaders:

Simmo    1
Murph    0
Crippa   2
Doc        2
Weiters   0
Ed C       2
Newnes  1

Overall, 5 players with ZERO tackles (Murphy both weeks), 8 with one or less.

41 tackles for the team in Rd. 2, 23 in Round 1. - average 32. Lowest in the league!

We averaged 63 tackles a game in 2019.

St Kilda are averaging 64 tackles a game in 2020. Double.

Work rate, work rate, work rate.

So tell em if they dont lay a minimum of 5 tackles and win 3 frees for HTB, they dont play next week
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #176
Scary with Ross Lyon floating around.

At least he will bring some kent to the place
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #177
If we get rid of Teague after one interrupted season, we will be forever more a non entity.
That's not how you change culture. That's going to ruin our club.
Hmmm. where have I heard that before?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #178
Yep, Lurking and filling in time in the media, Lyon cant win premierships but he can get teams into finals.
Liddle and crew need finals to justify culling Bolton and if when we lose vs Geelong I think thats probably it for 2020 and heads will drop.
Its set up for Lyon IMO...not a case of if but when......
EFA
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #179
What if we are 11 - 0.
What if we are dead last with a percentage under 50

Gold Coast have just gone past us in an offseason.

We have a 20 year history which shows that changing coaches as often as your underwear doesn't work. It all starts with the board. If we are dead last with a % of 50, every board member has to go, not the coach. Systemic, entrenched failure going back decades is not the fault of one man, certainly not in an organisation with many moving parts like a football club. Don't forget the coach isn't even the top man in his own department.