Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Prattle: AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda at Marvel (Read 24272 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Prattle: AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda at Marvel

Reply #120
It is where it shouldn't be. 

Reply #121
Paul, stopping the pain will become the main and immediate driver. Moving on from that comes next. Not saying it will necessarily lead to success but change will be made on that basis.

Dont agree.

Stopping the pain is a temporary measure that distorts your end goal.

How would that attitude go down in preseason training? Bust your gut to get fitter....but that hurts so let's just stop training to stop the pain?

Pain can be good for you. It's an almighty motivator.
You've gotta lose one to win one.
Why? The pain of losing a granny motivates you to the next level.

Reply #122
Dont agree.

Stopping the pain is a temporary measure that distorts your end goal.

How would that attitude go down in preseason training? Bust your gut to get fitter....but that hurts so let's just stop training to stop the pain?

Pain can be good for you. It's an almighty motivator.
You've gotta lose one to win one.
Why? The pain of losing a granny motivates you to the next level.

But that is what will drive the club's actions when tolerance runs out. I don't know how club management really feels but at the current rate significant improvement seems a long way off.

PS. To paraphrase Monty Python " Losing a granny - luxury!"
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #123
Well, that depends on who you ask. I've said many times I expected us to be bottom 2 this year, not because of any inherent fault with Bolton or the plan, but it's just the simple reality of where our club and list is at. Clearly that makes me as popular as a dose of the clap, but it is what it is.

I think a bit of concern comes from the fact that while you thought we would be bottom 2 Paul, the messages from the club indicate that they certainly didn't (Bolton, Judd comments, trading of the pick last year for Stocker. He may turn out to be a very good player but probably not Pick 1 or 2).

If a poster on a forum is closer to the mark than the football department, that kind of indicates that we're not totally on top of the situation or at the very least we've slipped off the expected pace.

Reply #124
Well, that depends on who you ask. I've said many times I expected us to be bottom 2 this year, not because of any inherent fault with Bolton or the plan, but it's just the simple reality of where our club and list is at. Clearly that makes me as popular as a dose of the clap, but it is what it is.

Wow, that makes you a genius, clairvoyant or deeply pessimistic because next to no-one in the footy world expected a list as good as ours to struggle to win a game this year... especially our club! But I don't recall you predicting this at the beginning of the year...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #125

I think a bit of concern comes from the fact that while you thought we would be bottom 2 Paul, the messages from the club indicate that they certainly didn't (Bolton, Judd comments, trading of the pick last year for Stocker. He may turn out to be a very good player but probably not Pick 1 or 2).

If a poster on a forum is closer to the mark than the football department, that kind of indicates that we're not totally on top of the situation or at the very least we've slipped off the expected pace.

The club has never said, not even in the Green Shoots days of yore, that they expected to lose games, or weren't worried if they lost. No club ever says it, and no club ever will, irrespective of what they may think behind the scenes. Neither Judd, nor Bolton, or anyone else will ever say "we expect to finish bottom 2." I don't know what their internal expectations were.

Reply #126
The club has never said, not even in the Green Shoots days of yore, that they expected to lose games, or weren't worried if they lost. No club ever says it, and no club ever will, irrespective of what they may think behind the scenes. Neither Judd, nor Bolton, or anyone else will ever say "we expect to finish bottom 2." I don't know what their internal expectations were.

In the first two years BB and others from the club constantly said that 'we will not be defined by Ws and Ls'... that they had internal markers, goals, KPIs that were set and often reached - wins within the growth, if you like.

The club has publicly stated, numerous times from different people, that winning is the focus this year and that there is an expectation to win many, many more games than last year. Juddy repeated it again on FC on Monday night. The CFC is in the winning business.

Reply #127
I wonder if tomorrow's game is going to be -- jokingly -- referred to as the Brad Scott cup... loser gets him  ;) ;D ;D

Reply #128
I wonder if tomorrow's game is going to be -- jokingly -- referred to as the Brad Scott cup... loser gets him  ;) ;D ;D

Now that's something to play for!  :D

Reply #129
In the first two years BB and others from the club constantly said that 'we will not be defined by Ws and Ls'... that they had internal markers, goals, KPIs that were set and often reached - wins within the growth, if you like.

The club has publicly stated, numerous times from different people, that winning is the focus this year and that there is an expectation to win many, many more games than last year. Juddy repeated it again on FC on Monday night. The CFC is in the winning business.

So assuming that is the case, and wins are not meeting internal expectations, what is the better option :
- sack the coach, and figure out the rest later, or
- conduct a proper audit / review, identify the problems, fix what can be fixed and throw out the rest ?

Reply #130
Now that's something to play for!  :D

:)) :)) :)) :)) an extra incentive... 'come on boys, big win today and we send Brad to the Aints...'

Reply #131
So assuming that is the case, and wins are not meeting internal expectations, what is the better option :
- sack the coach, and figure out the rest later, or
- conduct a proper audit / review, identify the problems, fix what can be fixed and throw out the rest ?

Well, now I don't think that 'sack the coach' is logically followed by 'figure out the rest later...' You can be very sure that if the club is thinking of replacing BB that they've assessed all options and ramifications beyond that. And if they've given him a few weeks to turn the ship around they would still have assessed options should he fail.

Hopefully, all this is, as I've said before, academic because we 'click' and start winning games and moving up the ladder.

Reply #132
Well, now I don't think that 'sack the coach' is logically followed by 'figure out the rest later...' You can be very sure that if the club is thinking of replacing BB that they've assessed all options and ramifications beyond that. And if they've given him a few weeks to turn the ship around they would still have assessed options should he fail.

Hopefully, all this is, as I've said before, academic because we 'click' and start winning games and moving up the ladder.

Yep. If the club were really professional their original rebuild plan would even have included in its risk management section what path would be taken should BB not be meeting expectations within a given time frame. After all there was a level of risk present in terms of BB being an untried senior coach at that time?

Anyway, as you say Baggers, "Carn Blues on Sunday" - let's get up for a real confidence boosting and comfortable win.

Reply #133

Cmon Lods, thats a bit naive.

Which footy club has ever come out and said we will be bottom 2 this year?

Bolton has always said he won't put a ceiling on expectations because anything is possible. For him, or anyone within the club, to say otherwise would be....
a) Opposite of what they've said previously.
b) Cause a division within the club due to mixed messages
c) be a red flag to any potential players/free agents coming in
d) be a red flag to any players potentially looking at their options elsewhere.

Reply #134
Cmon Lods, thats a bit naive.

Which footy club has ever come out and said we will be bottom 2 this year?

Bolton has always said he won't put a ceiling on expectations because anything is possible. For him, or anyone within the club, to say otherwise would be....
a) Opposite of what they've said previously.
b) Cause a division within the club due to mixed messages
c) be a red flag to any potential players/free agents coming in
d) be a red flag to any players potentially looking at their options elsewhere.
Bolton has always said he won't put a ceiling on expectations because anything is possible..true...That just an easy get out clause for Bolton, how many years can you pull that for, try doing that in business or a real job and see how long you last....
We dont want the impossible we would be happy with average Joe results, good Managers under promise and over deliver...set a low target of 6 wins, whats he scared of?