Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Discussion Round 15 Carlton vs GWS at Metricon. (Read 9550 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Discussion Round 15 Carlton vs GWS at Metricon.

Reply #30
We are a battling team.  As such we battle away, when our application waivers, we are powerless because we have spent all our chips battling.  Its why we are in every game, and then fade away with a short period.

That wont continue forever, but most of our players are inexperienced, and not battle hardened which is why this continues. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #31
Agree..stopping run ons isnt one of our strong points and a quarter of fancy GWS footy with their talent is probably a winning one.
A lot of that is leadership and its up to Cripps, Docherty and Simpson etc to direct traffic as well as the coach to make moves to slow the game down and adjust to swings in momentum.

EB we dont look very good when we slow it down, that one of the problems. When we try and possess it, switch it or go for the angle kick, we regularly hit an oppo player or put our intended target under immense pressure and the turnover comes. And its not just the young kids fluffing it. We seem to be very good or at least better at the faster transition and ball movement with only the second last or last kick I50 being the problem.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
EB we dont look very good when we slow it down, that one of the problems. When we try and possess it, switch it or go for the angle kick, we regularly hit an oppo player or put our intended target under immense pressure and the turnover comes. And its not just the young kids fluffing it. We seem to be very good or at least better at the faster transition and ball movement with only the second last or last kick I50 being the problem.
GTC, We need another gear to change momentum, the good teams can hang onto the ball and make those passes and take the heat out of the game. You often see Houli, Martin etc make the big kick for Richmond that clears the danger zone and sets up the switch and the commentators will say what a great kick to break the trend of play. They will kick it back across goal several times if they have to and they make those passes to setup and be safe in bringing the ball out.
I agree we dont do it well but we are going to have to and find players who can if we are going to get better...

Reply #33
GTC, We need another gear to change momentum, the good teams can hang onto the ball and make those passes and take the heat out of the game. You often see Houli, Martin etc make the big kick for Richmond that clears the danger zone and sets up the switch and the commentators will say what a great kick to break the trend of play. They will kick it back across goal several times if they have to and they make those passes to setup and be safe in bringing the ball out.
I agree we dont do it well but we are going to have to and find players who can if we are going to get better...

No argument from me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #34

EB, I agree 100% and I think Williams is such a player from what I have seen of him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #35
EB, I agree 100% and I think Williams is such a player from what I have seen of him.
Agree Cookie, He is quick but also a good user of the ball and importantly kicks well on the run.
I guess the price is the issue and where our cut off point is, Nth just over pay for everything and jack the starting price up.

Reply #36
DeBoer has had the wood on him before and had a good game on Fyfe, I'd be prepared to play Cripps at FF from the goal square and clear out the forward line apart from Eddie.
I think Cripps is no certainty from the square either!

DeBoer needs some Hodge style attention, we've got Cripps, Setterfield and even if he plays McGovern as a big bodied mid. Cripps just needs to lead him to the football and head left or right before one of our others come front on. If Cripps runs past the footy and DeBoer follows it's bad luck for him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
The kid EB pointed out (Riccardi) when the club was entertaining Moore will need watching this week.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #38
The kid EB pointed out (Riccardi) when the club was entertaining Moore will need watching this week.
Been good the past couple of weeks and worked well with Cameron, very hard working player who gives you effort.
Riccardi suffered from VFL stigma unlike Moore who had to be good because he came from Richmond.
Riccardi took 9 marks vs Freo and was the rising star weekly winner too.
We booted Kerr but had no backup forwards, given Harry, Charlie and money guv can't stay on the park, were then forced to look at rejects like Moore after the draft.

Reply #39
Been good the past couple of weeks and worked well with Cameron, very hard working player who gives you effort.
Riccardi suffered from VFL stigma unlike Moore who had to be good because he came from Richmond.
Riccardi took 9 marks vs Freo and was the rising star weekly winner too.
We booted Kerr but had no backup forwards, given Harry, Charlie and money guv can't stay on the park, were then forced to look at rejects like Moore after the draft.

Personally I would have kept Kerr but I suppose Liddle and co didnt like the fact he was the grandson of a long time benefactor who's family has a rich Carlton history..
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
Personally I would have kept Kerr but I suppose Liddle and co didnt like the fact he was the grandson of a long time benefactor who's family has a rich Carlton history..
I didn't mind Kerr either and thought he had ability plus some aggression and felt we could have rookied him at worst..

Reply #41
Yep.  In the case of Kerr we did a "anything else must be something better".  Not anything else has kicked 3 goals vs Geelong in an otherwise poor team performance.

Kerr was probably turned off for a variety of reasons.  There is a variety of reasons why the move from Bolton to Teague occurred, and IMHO getting the lesser lights to buy in was one of them.

The more time goes on the more it looks as though some guys just didn't want to play for him as a senior coach and that the overall environment was lacking something from that perspective.  This is not necessarily a knock on Bolton either, the players are responsible for this too.  Where it starts to get hazy for me, is where we have blokes who came into our club from other environments, seemed to be a mix of honest triers, some that actually were talented and could play footy and for some reason never gained traction and a consistent run at it with us, when we were parked on the bottom of the ladder playing kids.

The approach seems very different this year.  Not overloaded with kids (sure some of them are the same ones that have done some growing up over the past 2-4 years to become what they are today) but some of the others are still becoming what i would call a 24/7 footballer and a reliable performer for 4 quarters at a time.

That is down to our environment, and not necessarily the senior coaches fault, but he is the bloke responsible for managing the environment.  We as fans are partly to blame for that.  We kept asking for the kids to get game time to make them get good faster not really knowing what is best for each player.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
I think we did wrong by Kerr rucking him, we tried to turn him into another Casboult, when Casboult was a ruck long before he was a forward.

Kerr had never been a ruck as a kid, and I note we've did similar with Jones, but now that Jones is proving a useful KPD we've killed the idea of him rucking. I don't know why that is the case, KPDs are a thousand times easier to find than an effective KPF, and yet we ruck Casboult and we've even tried rucking McKay leaving Jones in D50!

Jones was super-impressive rucking in the VFL before he came into the AFL as a defender, he played ruck in much the same way De Koning plays ruck at the moment.

To me it's just another example of our clubs weird logic.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
I was very disappointed that we didn't make more of Kerr. I think he showed some promise as a forward but somehow never got a run at it with us.
Anyway,  not really relevant to this topic.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #44
RE Kerr, there is always the possibility of something we the public don't know about, like a series of misdemeanours etc.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th