Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 4: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 26761 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 4: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #120
Totally agree, but who? I'd like it to be a Carlton person, someone who could coach and possesses some mongrel.

We had 2 (Pagan and MM) sacked both of em.

Reply #121
I haven't seen the presser. Anyone know how many times Bolts used the word 'growth'?

Surely there is something wrong. Most of our players are better than that. Bolts is a teacher. He talks like it. He coaches like it. I imagine that style would really pi$$ off some players after a while.

And I don't buy that Murphy was a huge loss and would have made a difference. He's not a 'Follow me boys and I will show you the way' type of leader.
"Growth" not used once. "Grow" used twice.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #122
"Growth" not used once. "Grow" used twice.

Disappointed. Not what we stand for. Need far far more contributors around the ball.....
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #123

Mentor for BB, not a reference to senior coaches.  :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #124

I would have sacked them three time just to make sure.....Ratten got unlucky and probably was the only coach to have the playing list onside regardless of the results...

Reply #125
I would have sacked them three time just to make sure.....Ratten got unlucky and probably was the only coach to have the playing list onside regardless of the results...

It's always amazed me how Carlton can take highly experienced and successful AFL coaches, Premiership coaches no less, and turn them into hacks in a few short years.
And what of our players, are they so lacking in discipline and team ethic and so thoroughly spoiled that these successful coaches can't cut through with them, or do they rebel against them because they are lazy and comfortable and can't be bothered with the challenge?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #126
Totally agree, but who? I'd like it to be a Carlton person, someone who could coach and possesses some mongrel.

I can think of one or two past players, but agree.  Should be a Carlton man

Reply #127
It's always amazed me how Carlton can take highly experienced and successful AFL coaches, Premiership coaches no less, and turn them into hacks in a few short years.
And what of our players, are they so lacking in discipline and team ethic and so thoroughly spoiled that these successful coaches can't cut through with them, or do they rebel against them because they are lazy and comfortable and can't be bothered with the challenge?

We should get credit for exposing them as the flimsy pretenders that they are. Only real effort and dedication can produce a sterling reputation as a coach's graveyard, a reputation which is unlikely to be surpassed.

Seriously though, Leigh Matthews made the point a couple of years ago (which I agree with) that sometimes too much is made of the senior coach's importance.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/time-to-cap-the-wages-of-senior-afl-coaches-leigh-matthews-20150530-ghd3l9.html

Reply #128
Ask Jarrad Waite how he got on with Ratts.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #130
Ask Jarrad Waite how he got on with Ratts.

Ratts probably got the sh1ts with him because he was a dumb f4ck - if he wasn't injured, he was suspended or having a bad hair day. Malthouse blasted him as well.

His best was elite, but playing at that level 5% of the time doesn't cut it.

Reply #131
Most of the playing list onside..... :P
Agree. Point is, every coach would have players not on the same page as him for a host of reasons.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #132

Seriously though, Leigh Matthews made the point a couple of years ago (which I agree with) that sometimes too much is made of the senior coach's importance.

I tend to agree, because as we've been discussing here today decisions about recruiting and list management are at least as critical to long term success as is day to day coaching, often far more so, and often the senior coach has only limited input.
I think that Bolton will do a good job but he's been handed a bit of a poisoned chalice, but then so was Denis Pagan.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #133
I can think of one or two past players, but agree.  Should be a Carlton man

Name one coach who has won a flag in the past 10 years with his original club. The last were Roos and Worsfold in 2005 and 2006. Hardwick, Beveridge, Clarkson, Scott, Malthouse and Longmire all played with different clubs to the ones they coached to a premiership. Think also Parkin, Matthews, Sheedy, et. al. Bringing in a ‘Carlton man’ is folly.

Reply #134
Ratts probably got the sh1ts with him because he was a dumb f4ck - if he wasn't injured, he was suspended or having a bad hair day. Malthouse blasted him as well.

His best was elite, but playing at that level 5% of the time doesn't cut it.

Waite didn't play too many bad games in his time at Carlton, his biggest problem was that he was injury prone so he struggled to get a consistent run at it.
Nothing's changed at North but his current coach seems happy with him.