Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 4: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 26467 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 4: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #150
Rewatch the game.
Have a look at our guys when we have the ball in our half forward line... Specifically watch the "forwards"
You might see one of them make a lead. If Jack is in the forward line you will see some movement out of him, but the rest...
You wanna know why we bomb the ball in forward, it's because that's what our forwards are demanding with their ridiculous stationary, lazy @rse play.
The reason our forwards are the worst in the league is because they are lazy, and they don't work.

Can't agree with this.

The mids and backs, if they actually win the ball, usualy fluff arounde with the ball laterally for so long that the opposition floods back and there simply isn't the space to lead once theball finally moves inside 50....

Pretty simple - good sides move the ball forward quickly - much more often than not - so that their forwards can compete on a level pegging.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #151
Rewatch the game.
Have a look at our guys when we have the ball in our half forward line... Specifically watch the "forwards"
You might see one of them make a lead. If Jack is in the forward line you will see some movement out of him, but the rest...
You wanna know why we bomb the ball in forward, it's because that's what our forwards are demanding with their ridiculous stationary, lazy @rse play.
The reason our forwards are the worst in the league is because they are lazy, and they don't work.

You re-watched the game? You're brave..lol.

Reply #152
There is another word for "brave"?

;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #153
Rewatch the game.

Thank-you Deags.

It's clear that when we win the ball on the HBF or exit D50 we've often got nobody to kick it to, I saw the same pattern in the VFL yesterday and one of two things then happens.

Guys get run down and are lambasted by fans and media for trying to do too much, when in reality they had nobody ahead of them to kick to! Even worse, nobody running in parallel to hand off too! You will often see our ball carrier have to dodge his way through some of our own players who are standing still minding the grass.

We have in our memory that Dennis shepherd, the one in which he runs past an opponent to shield the ball carrier. Most clubs call that playing football, it's a highlight for us because it stands out happening so rarely at Carlton! That simple act among others made Dennis a legend!

I don't know how many times I have seen an opponent run past a Carlton player to charge down the Carlton ball carrier, but it happens with monotonous regularity in 2018!

or

Under pressure they eventually bomb the ball to static forwards only to have the opposition defense clear it too easily, the ball carrier then gets labeled a ball waster because no forward has made a genuine effort. I'm not claiming our ball use isn't poor, but the games do not have to go the way they go!

Next time our fans watch Casboult hanging deep in F50 behind a couple of defenders waiting for a jump at the ball they better take note! Watch the replay of the VFL, you see McKay doing the very same thing!

I'm desperate for Kerr to come in and do what he has been doing in the two's, working hard making multiple leads, repeat efforts, creating space, the stuff KPFs are supposed to do!

Not play like rovers hanging out the back sporadically launching at packs!

There was a great moment on Saturday night when Levi used his bulk to clean up an opponent, Levi looked frustrated and Norp looked shocked, even the commentators were caught off guard, but he should be doing that two or three times a game not once or twice a season as a highlight! If he did that more often, if he sacrificed for the team on a consistent basis, kids around him should lift. Levi shouldn't be the beneficiary of such acts, he needs to be the instigator!

When our kids are being bullied and bashed around like they were Saturday night, it's because players like Levi do not play that way, the opponents do not fear him or others in our F50!

Our problem is that it only takes one lazy or stupid player to deliver an advantage to the opposition, and we have a few players who pick and choose when they will make an effort.

Agree SoJ is quite good on the effort front, he works very hard, but his form is rubbish because he not getting anywhere near the ball, he is allowing his running patterns to be determined by his opponent. They are effectively corralling him.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #154
Can't agree with this.

The mids and backs, if they actually win the ball, usualy fluff arounde with the ball laterally for so long that the opposition floods back and there simply isn't the space to lead once theball finally moves inside 50....

Pretty simple - good sides move the ball forward quickly - much more often than not - so that their forwards can compete on a level pegging.

I couldn't really give 2 stuffs about how long the ball takes to get up the ground. Sure, quick ball movement makes it easier, but the forward still have to work, possibly harder.
How many times in the last few weeks have we actually been on a fast break for a midfielder to have to pull up or pass the ball laterally because there was no one in front of him to pass it to?
The forwards need to work hard. If one bloke leads, he will create space where he was prior to the lead. That space is an opportunity for another forward to lead into.
If multiple people lead, then that creates even more space for others to lead into.
God forbid someone might actually follow up a lead with a second lead.

Reply #155
Just heard on radio news that Murphy is out for "several weeks"
Not sure if that's accurate or Not, but I'm getting a bit glum about our shrinking list of available players.

Please help CFC football gods. We have repented our sins.  ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #156
If multiple people lead, then that creates even more space for others to lead into.

We are so far from this reality of AFL that it borders on being a satire!

As much as I hate to write it, Jack Riewoldt is the very reason Nthmond can go with the single KPF F50. He works his butt off, lead after lead after lead, most of them go unrewarded.

Other than SoJ and Wright, our guys make one effort, drop their heads and stop if the ball isn't delivered lace out! Some of them commit an even bigger sin, they fingerpoint!

They don't stay stopped, they get back on with it eventually, but by then it's too late! That first act, that moment they hesitate being sorry for themselves is what does all the damage!

Recall that video grab last season of Hodge telling Mitchell not to hesitate, he goes you go, go with your man, when he goes you go! To paraphrase Hodge!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #157
Just heard on radio news that Murphy is out for "several weeks"
Not sure if that's accurate or Not, but I'm getting a bit glum about our shrinking list of available players.

Please help CFC football gods. We have repented our sins.  ;)

That was being intimated yesterday LN.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #158
That was being intimated yesterday LN.

The minute he pointed to the arch/instep behind his big toe it was a bad news day, and he's no spring chicken!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #159
The whole blues captain question may well need addressing sooner rather than later .

Speedy recovery Murph.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #160
I couldn't really give 2 stuffs about how long the ball takes to get up the ground. Sure, quick ball movement makes it easier, but the forward still have to work, possibly harder.
How many times in the last few weeks have we actually been on a fast break for a midfielder to have to pull up or pass the ball laterally because there was no one in front of him to pass it to?
The forwards need to work hard. If one bloke leads, he will create space where he was prior to the lead. That space is an opportunity for another forward to lead into.

Therein lies your problem....fix the mids (that includes onballers, flankers and wingers) and the forward line will be fine.....I repeat, you can't lead into space when there is no space! Simple really.

If you reckon speed of ball movement isn't the critical 'missing' factor.... good luck!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #161
Therein lies your problem....fix the mids (that includes onballers, flankers and wingers) and the forward line will be fine.....I repeat, you can't lead into space when there is no space! Simple really.

If you reckon speed of ball movement isn't the critical 'missing' factor.... good luck!

You create space by drawing defenders with repeat leads in the appropriate direction at the appropriate time, not by all too often standing in the forward pocket behind the defense calling for the long high ball and jogging behind the defense as they run out of the scoring zone!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #162
You create space by drawing defenders with repeat leads in the appropriate direction at the appropriate time, not by all too often standing in the forward pocket behind the defense calling for the long high ball and jogging behind the defense as they run out of the scoring zone!

This.
Lazyness... The one word that truly defines 90% of our forwards. They need to make space. Other teams seem to becable to score both on quick movement and slow. Tell thise north forwards ho worked their bitts off the other night, not just expecting the ball, but dragging our defenders with them for someone else to be able to lead into. If the dpace aint there then make it.
Further vidence of our lazy forwards is the ease with which the opposition moves the ball out of our firward 50. Thats a whole other story.

Reply #163
I watched Roughead yesterday, I appreciate he's not typical but the repeat efforts are extraordinary, out and back, left then right, when it looked like he had nothing left to give he often got the advantage, took the contested mark and slotted the goal!

It was inspirational, how KPFs should play!

I also watched the VFL as well, the bloke who worked like Roughead was Kerr, and we kicked it to McKay more often than not as he jogged back waving for the deep kick into F50! Even old man Hill had a work rate showing up McKay, I'd rather Hill lounged in F50 and tell McKay to get on his bike up the field, but Hill won;t do that because he's a professional!

If McKay gets a game and Kerr doesn't, Kerr might as well pack his bags and chuck his hat into trade week, because that sort of team selection would be bullsh1t and send a massively wrong message to the playing group!

No more "Kick it to Me" types lounging in the background for a cheapy, I want six players who are all working for every kick! KPFs who take no prisoners along the way!

Loved Cripps at the weekend, gut running out of the midfield into deep F50 to bust a pack with nothing left in the tank. He didn't get the pill, but that is what our forwards should be doing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #164

And God forbid someone might actually hit a leading forward on the chest.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.