Skip to main content
Topic: Formula 1 (Read 89798 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Formula 1

Reply #165
I suppose a lot of Carlton fans lost support for him after the Carlton jumper incident, rolling up to our club and being presented with a jumper by SpecialK, then a few weeks later getting on the social media and telling everyone you are a Wet Toast supporter did not go down well!
Dont even recall that, wouldnt worry me anyway. Just basing it on his achievements and the way he carries himself.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #166
Norris and Perez have made things very very interesting.

Mercedes stuck in a Red Bull sandwich between Alpha and Omega, Norris the black sheep!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #167
Story of qualifying is the williams of Russell beating BOTH Ferraris!

Reply #168
All season Ricciardo can barely get close to Norris, not even in the frame of reference.

Then Norris wipes off his car in Q3, and magically Ricciardo goes out and has a new found best ever in McLaren performance to qualify 4th.

Now I can't say any of this is deliberate, but it would be pretty reasonable for Ricciardo be quietly paranoid, it is at least a deserving WTF!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #169
All season Ricciardo can barely get close to Norris, not even in the frame of reference.

Then Norris wipes off his car in Q3, and magically Ricciardo goes out and has a new found best ever in McLaren performance to qualify 4th.

Now I can't say any of this is deliberate, but it would be pretty reasonable for Ricciardo be quietly paranoid, it is at least a deserving WTF!

Forget the positions, look at the times.
Ricciardo was 1 sec behind Norris the whole time. Only reason he finished 4th is because it was all in the wet and 'poor cars/performers' get a more level playing field. Look at Russell at #2. If he makes the top 10 he has overachieved.
Rain = all bets are off.

Ricciardo is a great manager of tyres. He is a lift and coast into corners to ease ware on his tyres. The McLaren gets best results when you JUMP on the breaks and throw it into corners. Its complete opposite of driving style.

Its no surprise when you have to ease it into corners under duress and slippery conditions that he magically rises up the rankings.

Reply #170
Only reason he finished 4th is because it was all in the wet and 'poor cars/performers' get a more level playing field.
In the broadcast the F1 experts said the exact opposite, the best cars with the best aero packages rise to the top, but they did concede drivers from the UK and Japan generally do well in the wet because they are so use to racing in the rain and even snow.

The McLaren is considered to have a relatively low drag aero package, it's one of the fastest in a straight line.

Ricciardo is called in the paddock "The Last of the Late Brakers!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #171
In the broadcast the F1 experts said the exact opposite, the best cars with the best aero packages rise to the top, but they did concede drivers from the UK and Japan generally do well in the wet because they are so use to racing in the rain and even snow.

The McLaren is considered to have a relatively low drag aero package, it's one of the fastest in a straight line.

Ricciardo is called in the paddock "The Last of the Late Brakers!"

I'm not talking about what is being mentioned in the broadcast.
I'm talking about what top F1 drivers and engineers from McLaren have said.
Its been well covered in the print media what ricciardo's issues are.

Last of the late breakers is still apt.
You can go full pace into a corner and brake all at once.
Or you can lift and coast into a corner, with slightly less speed by comparison and hit the brakes later than your opponent because you have less speed to scrub off and are less likely to lock up.

...and by lift and coast, i don't mean it in fuel saving style either, its not to cut down on revs, but energy through the tyres under braking.

...but the McLaren doesn't give you the same grip using that technique as other cars.

Ricciardo commented about a quick convo with former McLaren driver (last year) Carlos Sainz. Sainz asked Danny Ric 'how are you finding it and its weird isn't it.' Its known the McLaren is a bit different to standard.

Reply #172
That crash, be it somewhat scary is also hilarious.

I watched this live and at the time I thought they were both equally liable for what happened, they should have both been hit with penalties.

How the stewards can apportion more blame to one and not the other is quite bizarre, it seems Verstappen is fined for failing to acknowledge, accept and act on the idea Hamilton is going to be a Clark Kent out on the race course! Not that Verstappen is an angel, in fact far from it.

But the ruling reads like it's OK to be ignorant about the limitations of cold tyres, and it's everybody else's problem to deal with your ignorance!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #173
That crash, be it somewhat scary is also hilarious.

I watched this live and at the time I thought they were both equally liable for what happened, they should have both been hit with penalties.

How the stewards can apportion more blame to one and not the other is quite bizarre, it seems Verstappen is fined for failing to acknowledge, accept and act on the idea Hamilton is going to be a Clark Kent out on the race course! Not that Verstappen is an angel, in fact far from it.

But the ruling reads like it's OK to be ignorant about the limitations of cold tyres, and it's everybody else's problem to deal with your ignorance!

You watch the race, and this is what you take out of it? No comment on Danny Ric?

FWIW, there was a similar thing later in the race at the same corner, i forget who but the driver in the 'hamilton position' chose not to run him off the race and took an overly exaggerated line to ensure there was no contact with the driver coming through in the 'verstappen position'.
It proved that if someone is going the overtake, you have the option of deciding if you crash or not. Hamilton chose to crash rather than give up the spot and suffered the consequences.

Despite all of that, Ricciardo was on track to win that race on merit basically leading from start to finish (minus a couple laps during pits stops/yellow flag). 
To me that showed 2 things...
1. He only needs a sniff to maximise points That x-factor is missing from his teammate who is a solid driver, but doesn't quite have the same manic hunger/desire for success.
2. The McLaren car is clearly strong in a straight line and Ricciardo's issues, which have been about handling the car in braking/high downforce situations, are true. Monza is the other end of the spectrum and almost all about speed, and Ricciardo dominated.

Reply #174
You watch the race, and this is what you take out of it? No comment on Danny Ric?
I think being happy about Ricciardo is a given.

F1 fans weren't shocked at all once Ricciardo had that great start and got to he front in a Mercedes powered car, the race followed the practise and sprint qualifier trend, and that is the track heavily favoured a front running car if it had a more powerful engine. Aero didn't have much of an impact, which is why DRS delivered few overtaking moves from the lower powered cars.

Ricciardo should be praised for his great start, in fairness some of that starting result is also down to the terrific start Norris got impacting the cars around him. Ricciardo also did a great job preserving the car and tyres, which was confirmed when he earned the fastest lap on the very last lap.

Would I have voted for Ricciardo as Driver of the Day, probably not as I think Bottas should get that coming from last to 3rd!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #175
While I understand the concerns that F1 insiders have related to safety surrounding the Hamilton / Verstappen events, it makes for some mighty fine viewing.

Isn't this the always going to become the issue when politics and bureaucracy favour one outcome over another?

But I have to ponder, is it a bit hypocritical of the F1 Industry to cry foul, when the situation is perhaps of it's own making?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #176
While I understand the concerns that F1 insiders have related to safety surrounding the Hamilton / Verstappen events, it makes for some mighty fine viewing.

Isn't this the always going to become the issue when politics and bureaucracy favour one outcome over another?

But I have to ponder, is it a bit hypocritical of the F1 Industry to cry foul, when the situation is perhaps of it's own making?

Any danger you can let us know whats going on in your mind when you make these vague statements?

There were a lot of reservations about going to Saudi Arabia, but that was about the best qualifying and race that i've seen in a LONG time.

Not sure what the odds are for this championship to be on the same points with 1 race to go, but it appears Verstappen is 1st on countback (most race wins).

After how the 2 battled it out today, i reckon its odds on for Max to take out Lewis in Turn 1, lap 1 next race to win the championship.

Reply #177
After how the 2 battled it out today, i reckon its odds on for Max to take out Lewis in Turn 1, lap 1 next race to win the championship.
Both have blood on their hands in this regard, I don't know why the media allow either of them to play the victim, both are guilty as sin, and both have repeat offences throughout this season!

The politics comes in when the authorities take one side or the other, if the sport stood neutral we'd be all better off!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #178
The politics comes in when the authorities take one side or the other, if the sport stood neutral we'd be all better off!

Who do you think they are favouring?

Reply #179
Wow!