Skip to main content
Topic: CV and mad panic behaviour (Read 427664 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: CV and mad panic behaviour

Reply #5116
In the US, they found that Trump's open-air rallies were usually superspreader events. Even though the open-air would reduce transmission, it wouldn't eliminate it. The fact his supporters refused to wear masks or social distance helped the Delta variant beat the odds.

EDIT: It probably wasn't even the Delta variant back then. It was probably the original Covid or the Alpha variant: much less transmissible and yet it still turned Trump's rallies into superspreader events. Imagine what the Delta variant would have done ...

What would you consider a bigger super spreader?

The 5000 dick heads walking around the city the other day or the infamous engagement party?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5117
That will be apparent in retrospect (tho the engagement party will take some beating).

Reply #5118
I'm still furious about both

Reply #5119
X2.  The flagrant disregard for the wider community is breath taking,  the selfishness is  unbelievable, especially from the hat wearing mob.   They're very fast to jump on any perceived threat, but their attitude to the community that they are actually a part of,  whether they want to acknowledge it or not,  has been laid bare to see.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #5120
Interesting discussion about dealing with misinformation and disinformation:
From QAnon to anti-vaccination, scholar Andy Norman says we face a scourge of "mind parasites", Salon.
One of the important things that I took from this book was this idea that our beliefs are not private. This both-sides-ism, "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion" doesn't help and is actively toxic. You say there are certain worldviews that are just toxic.

When people start doing things that harm others, I think we start to develop grounds for objecting to those behaviors, and belief is just like that. If you believe things that don't harm others, fine. But if you believe things that indirectly do harm others, they become a matter of public concern. So if I believe that vaccines are the spawn of the devil and refuse to vaccinate my kids, my kids end up being harmed. My beliefs can harm others. If I believe irresponsible things and end up casting my votes or for a would-be authoritarian leader, I end up harming the entire public.

When you dwell on examples of beliefs that harm others, you realize that it's perfectly irresponsible to indulge the idea that everyone is entitled to their beliefs. It lets our beliefs both drift away from what's genuinely helpful and moral, but it also lets them drift away from reality and lets them drift away from each other. And when our worldviews drift too far apart, as we're seeing now, it gets really hard to have productive conversations and to keep a specific experiment together. So for social reasons, for truth and honesty reasons, and for moral reasons, we need to get rid of the idea that belief is where everyone is entitled to their opinion, and instead adopt a more public spirited concept of belief.

Reply #5121
It’s interesting that the corporates are running advertisements promoting vaccination.  It’s also interesting how much better they are than the lame efforts by the Federal Government.  Of course, the corporates have the best advertising agencies and past campaigns to build on.  The Government, on the other hand, is constrained by the requirement to go with the lowest quote and a lack of imagination.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5122
Melbourne fans gathering at the MCG, apparently that's okay.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5123
Melbourne fans gathering at the MCG, apparently that's okay.

Wonder why…. Maybe it’s cause law abiding folk that followed the rules for the last 18 months have had enough and lost faith in the lack of leadership and belief with the clown running this state.  Running it to the ground more like it.

How he remains with any authority is criminal. After last years disaster his government promised on april 1 we would not be in and out of lockdown in 2021 as we would be prepared with the additional 4000 icu beds. Finally one media outlet had the balls to ask during the week why this never occurred and where the funding has gone but typically Dans amnesia returned and failed to answer the question or provide any clarity. He is consistent on one thing - lying and deceiving.

So hard to stay the course when ship if being led by  a captain who lies, rarely if ever keeps his word and has a on again off again memory condition. 

Reply #5124
Still waiting to see if we come out of lock down on the Bellerine after the massive case numbers down here.    Crickets.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #5125
Don't count on it Prof

Reply #5126
Still waiting to see if we come out of lock down on the Bellerine after the massive case numbers down here.    Crickets.

22 active cases and no increase, and 81.2% of folk have had their first vaccination; is that enough?  We need to improve on 53% fully vaccinated.

Surf Coast has 90% with their first vaccination and Queenscliffe has 95%.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5127
There was also good news for the city of Geelong, which will be released from lockdown at midnight despite the diagnosis of six new cases on Saturday.

"There are still cases there and perhaps in another environment in previous times, we would have stayed in lockdown to drive those numbers down to a hard zero," Deputy Chief Health Officer Deb Friedman said.

"But that's no longer in line with our management of this virus, under the national plan."

https://au.yahoo.com/news/warning-as-victoria-eases-lockdown-restrictions-022317760.html

Reply #5128
We're free Prof!  :D

I had a delicious Barramundi in Queenscliff, and a feed of fish chips near Portarlington pier before lockdown (not on the same day!).  I might go back and do it again.  Best of all, our neighbours' cellar door and bistro will be open next weekend  :)

Reply #5129
https://au.yahoo.com/news/warning-as-victoria-eases-lockdown-restrictions-022317760.html

Is he serious? How are we supposed to take this guy seriously when he proudly announces these sorts of irrelevant easings to a place he has turned into a prison because he has no clue how to control anything without just locking it down. Short and sharp was the plan.

He gives the most locked up place on earth a whole extra 5km to move. You can’t make this stuff up.