Skip to main content
Topic: Time to elevate Wood??? (Read 8275 times) previous topic - next topic

Time to elevate Wood???

Sitting here 10,497 miles away, it seems to me that  Warnock is stagnant at the moment and Wood is ticking a lot of boxes in the NB.

I'm sure we have a space to elevate another rookie.  Do we throw Big Cam a challenge and at the same time give 206 a rocket?

Isn't that why we got Wood in, as an insurance against big man injuries (or lack of form?).  Do we have a lot to lose?

Re: Time to elevate Wood???

Reply #1
Where's "Sauce" Jacobs when we need him?

Reply #2
Watching today's game, you couldn't complain about Warnock: he did everything he should have done, with some of his best ever tap work, a couple of marks and a goal.
That said, with the games we have coming up, having another ruckman would be very useful. He managed 67 taps outs today for the Baby Blues and he took some clutch marks. After a few down weeks, he really hit form in a big way.
The other issue we have is that there simply isn't a ruckman on the Northern list, so giving him a game would mean that the Baby Blues have nobody to ruck for them. If Kreuzer were a bit closer to playing, he could get his fitness up by having a few games there while Wood showed what he could do in the seniors. But I don't think Kreuzer is close enough yet.

Our structure is in need of another ruckman. No offence to Levi, but he has not set the world on fire as a ruckman. Warnock is it. As a result, we have a real weakness, a point source error, which other teams can play on. If Warnock is less than brilliant, we struggle.
We REALLY need a ruckman or 2 on our list.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
I thought Warnock was average today but Longer was even worse......bit of politics about Warnock as well, the club went hard to get him and paid good coin so to drop him would be an admission of failure with his recruiting and thats not going to happen.
Wood will take more marks, get more of the ball but I'm not sold on his ruckwork as yet...Warnock wont get much of the footy but is a decent palmer and knows the set plays for ballups, centre bounces etc and while he wont ever dominate games he doesnt let opposition ruckman dominate much either.

The interesting part will be when Kruezer comes back.....Casboult has the 2nd ruck/forward spot sewn up so one of Warnock or Kruezer will be playing NB's IMO...

Reply #5
I thought Warnock was average today but Longer was even worse......bit of politics about Warnock as well, the club went hard to get him and paid good coin so to drop him would be an admission of failure with his recruiting and thats not going to happen.
Wood will take more marks, get more of the ball but I'm not sold on his ruckwork as yet...Warnock wont get much of the footy but is a decent palmer and knows the set plays for ballups, centre bounces etc and while he wont ever dominate games he doesnt let opposition ruckman dominate much either.

The interesting part will be when Kruezer comes back.....Casboult has the 2nd ruck/forward spot sewn up so one of Warnock or Kruezer will be playing NB's IMO...

What would Warnock get at the trade table?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #6

What would Warnock get at the trade table?

Mature Rucks seem to start around pick 30 these days.......Hampson was 28, Mcintosh about mid 30's.......Maric 37........
McEvoy was worth more but Hawthorn wanted him bad and offered a 1st rnder and Shane Savage....I guess given McEvoy was initially pick 7 when drafted that was fair enough..

Reply #8
I suspect if they are to elevate a rookie it will be Johnson not Wood, he did more than enough yesterday and looked like a real handful for the undersized Aints.

Plus I suspect Menzel will miss games.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
We don't need to elevate Wood atm. Warnock is OK and performs quite adequately as a tap ruckman. IMO his other "deficiencies" are over played. Levi is a also an adequate back up ruck.  What would we gain from bringing in Wood? Better to wait and see how things pan out with Kreuzer and the draft/trade periods and make decisions for next year. Wood's there as insurance and we don't need to make the claim on that policy yet.

We have other more pressing concerns IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
We don't need to elevate Wood atm. Warnock is OK and performs quite adequately as a tap ruckman. IMO his other "deficiencies" are over played.

Over playing is the last thing Warnock could be accused of!  ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
We don't need to elevate Wood atm. Warnock is OK and performs quite adequately as a tap ruckman. IMO his other "deficiencies" are over played.

Over playing is the last thing Warnock could be accused of!  ;D

You know I didn't have Warnock in mind LP - those who do the over playing know very well who they are!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12
I agree with Cookie. I don't think Warnock is as bad as some believe.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #13
I am a Warnock critic; I don't believe he does enough around the ground and he should be able to mark at will in both the defensive and forward 50s.  However, I thought his game against the Saints wasn't too bad and he definitely won't be in my worst three players this week.

I can't see that Wood would necessarily offer more than Warnock.  Yes, he's getting lots of hitouts and clunking a few marks with the NBs but he was found wanting at AFL level.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
This is really a debate about which type you would prefer, Warnock or Salmon?
The Force Awakens!